Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ho ho ho,

If Bergwijn had 20 g/a per season in PL before we bought him, we probably couldn't afford him.

Eze was not available for £10-15m in January.....only reason we might get him for £10m-£15m or quite possible more this summer is because by then he will only have a year left on his contract.,,,,,,and QPR are skint.

And he's got 13 goals and 8 assists (ie combined 21) in 40 games this season in the Championship aged 21 (not dissimilar to Bergwijn in NL who got 26 g/a aged 21).

If we use your criteria to only buy him when he has 20 g/a in PL we wont be able to afford very many players.

I didn't say we should only buy players who have 20 g/a in the PL. You were using Eredivise stats which aren't really relevant when I was talking about what our players had done in the PL. Being productive in the Eredivisie doesn't mean a player can't be productive in the PL, but until he's actually proven he can be in both, those Eredivisie stats need to be qualified by the fact that most of the teams he's up against are championship or even lower level, certainly vastly different to the PL. The level of opposition Eze is up against is probably superior for most weeks than Bergwijn's been up against - apart from the obvious 2/3 teams.

Having watched both of them, I would much rather have spent less money - (but max it would have been is around 20m - Bergwijn was what 27m?) on the HG Eze who's also a year younger.

He may not be trousering the money in the literal sense, but he's certainly doing very well for himself off the back of our football club

Daniel Levy named on rich list for first time with wealth of £329m

Come on JT, you know that's not what he's actually banked from being Spurs owner/chairman, a lot of that amount is an estimate based on his 30% stake in ENIC's 85% of Spurs current best guess valuation. His actual personal wealth, even in the ST Rich List is given as 10m

398 DANIEL LEVY AND FAMILY
Football
£329m New entry

Levy, 58, was last year’s highest-paid Premier League executive. The Tottenham Hotspur chairman received a £3m bonus for the completion of the club’s new ground — on top of his £4m salary. After graduating from Cambridge, Levy worked for Mr Byrite, the clothing retailer owned by his father Barry. He later moved into property development, becoming a business partner of Joe Lewis (qv), with whom he took over Spurs in 2001. The north London side is 85.55% owned by their company ENIC, in which Levy and his family have 29.4% holding. With Spurs valued last year at £1.268bn, the Levy family’s interest is worth £319m and we add £10m separate wealth.

I didn't say we should only buy players who have 20 g/a in the PL. You were using Eredivise stats which aren't really relevant when I was talking about what our players had done in the PL. Being productive in the Eredivisie doesn't mean a player can't be productive in the PL, but until he's actually proven he can be in both, those Eredivisie stats need to be qualified by the fact that most of the teams he's up against are championship or even lower level, certainly vastly different to the PL. The level of opposition Eze is up against is probably superior for most weeks than Bergwijn's been up against - apart from the obvious 2/3 teams.

Having watched both of them, I would much rather have spent less money - (but max it would have been is around 20m - Bergwijn was what 27m?) on the HG Eze who's also a year younger.

Ummmh, you said 'Come back to me when he's got 20 g/a in a PL season.'

Clearly its less risky to buy a player who has previously played in PL, but they are not always available at a sensible price.

But the Dutch league do have a few decent teams, such as Ajax, who we could/should have watched him against, whilst he has also played against England for Netherlands which we should have watched as well so knew he could cope with those PL players, and he played for PSV against Spurs...and indeed other CL matches.

So I'd suggest we had decent grounds for thinking he could play against PL class teams - and think his early form of 3 goals in 6 PL games plus he was close to that assist if Son had scored on Friday suggests he will make it as a PL player.

At around £25m, price was not bad, especially in January for a 22 year old with his experience both in Dutch league, CL and for Netherlands...…...and a timely buy for Spurs in January with our injuries at that time.

Had Eze been available in January, which he was not, and pre-covid I suspect he would certainly have cost £20m+ for a player with just Championship experience, and no CL or international experience (both useful guides to how good they are)…….but post covid with QPR needing to raise cash and Eze with only a year left, there is a deal to be done, and the rumours of a players plus cash deal sound good.

And both will have cost us less than Sessegnon did, and we have yet to see much of him, and was his pre-Spurs record any better than either Eze or Bergwijn ?.

He may not be trousering the money in the literal sense, but he's certainly doing very well for himself off the back of our football club

Daniel Levy named on rich list for first time with wealth of £329m
You do realize that more than 300 million pounds of that wealth is only because of the % of shares he has of the club right? "off the back of our club" sounds like he increased his own wealth with a selfish plan at the expense of the club.

To put things in perspective, even Toby Alderweireld has a higher salary than Levy.
Levy also doesn't pay himself in dividends (the Glazers at United took 18 million last season)

Angel ?

fast/slow ? Can he play as full back as well as CB ? Passing ability ? Good anticipation/reading of the game ?
Full-back? No. LCB. Fabulous athleticism. Moderate passing ability. Not shaky like, say, Sanchez, but he's no Upamecano. Great in the air, proactive defender, but there is still some room for improvement in his defensive awareness, I feel.

Clearly its less risky to buy a player who has previously played in PL, but they are not always available at a sensible price.

I don't think we are going to sign a PL proven 20 g/a attacker. Apart from anything else, there aren't that many of them (another reason I will be amazed if Bergwijn turns out to be one).

But my point is that him doing it in the Eredivisie is not transferable to the PL as a comparison stat.

But the Dutch league do have a few decent teams, such as Ajax, who we could/should have watched him against, whilst he has also played against England for Netherlands which we should have watched as well so knew he could cope with those PL players, and he played for PSV against Spurs...and indeed other CL matches.

I acknowledged that he will be playing 2/3 other decent teams, but the rest are pretty fucking ropey. Nowhere near PL level, some not even championship level, so that's why I'm saying those stats need to be qualified and can't be used to compare purely with PL stats. They are not useless, clearly they tell us something, but like I said, lets see if he can reproduce this playing better teams in the PL over a season so we have a real comparison with current players.

So I'd suggest we had decent grounds for thinking he could play against PL class teams - and think his early form of 3 goals in 6 PL games plus he was close to that assist if Son had scored on Friday suggests he will make it as a PL player.

How did he do against us ? Because I thought he was pretty shit against us, certainly don't remember anyone raving about him after those games. I was at one of them, and I barely remember him doing anything of note.

I'm sure someone at Spurs did have grounds for thinking he'd be worth signing, but then someone at the club always has grounds for thinking the signings we make are worth signing, doesn't make them good signings does it.

I just said having watched him, I wouldn't paid 27m (30m Eur) for him, I would rather have spent less on Eze - having watched both of them.

Having watched Stengs and AZ, I would definitely have rather spent less (or the same) on him than Bergwijn.

Had Eze been available in January, which he was not, and pre-covid I suspect he would certainly have cost £20m+ for a player with just Championship experience, and no CL or international experience (both useful guides to how good they are)…….but post covid with QPR needing to raise cash and Eze with only a year left, there is a deal to be done, and the rumours of a players plus cash deal sound good.

There you go then, 20m for Eze verses 27m for Bergwijn in January. I would have gone with the 7m cheaper, one year younger, HG Eze. My opinion. Others available.

Must admit, don't really rate Gabriel at all.

But I will back Jose and who he wants and give them a chance. After all, I was never a fan of Wanyama until he came here and he changed my mind completely, even if he was a one season wonder. It was one hell of a season.

Toby, Sanchez, Dier, Tanganga isn’t really that bad imo. I think adding someone like Gabriel could be a good idea. He wouldn’t be rushed into the game and Jose could mold him a bit. I Think we’d have nice depth with this signing.

I’d rather spend light at CB and pay a higher fee at RB and DM.

Upgrading around our CBs will make them better. Like I’ve said before, their jobs are harder when we lack quality fullbacks, a DM, and have a goalkeeper who stinks at distributing the ball.

Back
Top Bottom