Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tottenham have been linked with Magalhaes, 22, for months - along with Premier League rivals Woolwich and Everton.

Earlier this months, reports in France claimed Magalhaes had agreed to a five-year deal worth £35,000 a week at Napoli.

Mourinho is said to view the 22-year-old as a like-for-like replacement for Jan Vertonghen.

Toby, Sanchez, Dier, Tanganga isn’t really that bad imo. I think adding someone like Gabriel could be a good idea. He wouldn’t be rushed into the game and Jose could mold him a bit. I Think we’d have nice depth with this signing.

I’d rather spend light at CB and pay a higher fee at RB and DM.
Gabriel would walk into our starting 11, IMO. I think we are up shit creek for CBs.

I don't think we are going to sign a PL proven 20 g/a attacker. Apart from anything else, there aren't that many of them (another reason I will be amazed if Bergwijn turns out to be one).

But my point is that him doing it in the Eredivisie is not transferable to the PL as a comparison stat.

I acknowledged that he will be playing 2/3 other decent teams, but the rest are pretty fucking ropey. Nowhere near PL level, some not even championship level, so that's why I'm saying those stats need to be qualified and can't be used to compare purely with PL stats. They are not useless, clearly they tell us something, but like I said, lets see if he can reproduce this playing better teams in the PL over a season so we have a real comparison with current players.

How did he do against us ? Because I thought he was pretty shit against us, certainly don't remember anyone raving about him after those games. I was at one of them, and I barely remember him doing anything of note.

I'm sure someone at Spurs did have grounds for thinking he'd be worth signing, but then someone at the club always has grounds for thinking the signings we make are worth signing, doesn't make them good signings does it.

I just said having watched him, I wouldn't paid 27m (30m Eur) for him, I would rather have spent less on Eze - having watched both of them.

Having watched Stengs and AZ, I would definitely have rather spent less (or the same) on him than Bergwijn.

There you go then, 20m for Eze verses 27m for Bergwijn in January. I would have gone with the 7m cheaper, one year younger, HG Eze. My opinion. Others available.

Hmmm I didn't say £20m for Eze in January, I said HAD he been available which he wasn't, he'd have been £20m+, (the plus is quite important, no ?)

We also had a need in January due to injuries which became almost farcical,

And what other AM's were available in January (demonstrated by them moving for example, not just who you would like) ? Only alternative I'd have liked in January went to Atletico.

IMO we do need Eze in summer :
1. If we don't get another striker and rely on Son/Bergwijn as backup, we need another AM like Eze
2. If we do buy a striker, we want to upgrade and replace either 28 year old Moura or 28 year old Lamela as with 28 year old Son as well we are starting to have too many older players at the same age -- and besides which Moura hasn't shown the g/a productivity we need (except for one magic match) whilst Lamela's injury record means he's not available too often when we need cover.

So we always needed 2 of them, now we have Bergwijn, question is whether we can get Eze

Last edited:
Hmmm I didn't say £20m for Eze in January, I said HAD he been available which he wasn't, he'd have been £20m+, (the plus is quite important, no ?)

And what other AM's were available in January (demonstrated by them moving for example, not just who you would like) ? Only alternative I'd have liked in January went to Atletico.

1. If we don't get another striker and rely on Son/Bergwijn as backup, we need another AM like Eze
2. If we do buy a striker, we want to upgrade and replace either 28 year old Moura or 28 year old Lamela as with 28 year old Son as well we are starting to have too many older players at the same age -- and besides which Moura hasn't shown the g/a productivity we need (except for one magic match) whilst Lamela's injury record means he's not available too often when we need cover.

So we always needed 2 of them, now we have Bergwijn, question is whether we can get Eze

I would like to ship out both Lamela and Moura. I'd love us to go for both Eze and Stengs, neither will cost a fortune, and if necessary leave one on loan for another season.

I would like to ship out both Lamela and Moura. I'd love us to go for both Eze and Stengs, neither will cost a fortune, and if necessary leave one on loan for another season.

Stengs is my favourite footballer to watch in the Eredivisie - reminds me so much of a younger Di Maria it's crazy.

Come on JT, you know that's not what he's actually banked from being Spurs owner/chairman, a lot of that amount is an estimate based on his 30% stake in ENIC's 85% of Spurs current best guess valuation. His actual personal wealth, even in the ST Rich List is given as 10m

398 DANIEL LEVY AND FAMILY
Football
£329m New entry

Levy, 58, was last year’s highest-paid Premier League executive. The Tottenham Hotspur chairman received a £3m bonus for the completion of the club’s new ground — on top of his £4m salary. After graduating from Cambridge, Levy worked for Mr Byrite, the clothing retailer owned by his father Barry. He later moved into property development, becoming a business partner of Joe Lewis (qv), with whom he took over Spurs in 2001. The north London side is 85.55% owned by their company ENIC, in which Levy and his family have 29.4% holding. With Spurs valued last year at £1.268bn, the Levy family’s interest is worth £319m and we add £10m separate wealth.

Cunt Thomas is as Cunt Thomas does. :harrysmile:

Son is one of our best players, we need to keep him not replace him.

It's like posts or tweets by people comparing Ndombele to Kante etc. - simply because he plays central midfield, is French, black and came from Ligue 1. Never seen him play.
I’m really worried Ndombele is going to end up flopping. I won’t be shocked to see him on the winter transfer list. Hope I’m wrong.

Stengs contract runs until 2023, so highly likely not this season unless we offer big money ?

Of passing note he one Dutch cap versus Bergwijn's 9 caps - might suggest NL coach thinks the year older Bergwijn is better ? Probably re-inforces the idea its better for him to play another season in NL league to get more experience before moving to PL,

Eze has only a year left on his contract so better for QPR to sell now, and has already shown he can cope with a physical league in Championship, so should be more immediately suited to PL.

I’m really worried Ndombele is going to end up flopping. I won’t be shocked to see him on the winter transfer list. Hope I’m wrong.

Only thing we can do is support him really.

He's clearly got the talent - I'm just thinking back to the days where Dembele was regularly subbed off at half time during games or being a complete non-factor, his links away to Napoli etc. and just being glad we ended up sticking with him and his consistency eventually shining through.

And that was only after we had a system in place that allowed him to flourish - it's about finding a system where Ndombele flourishes. We've still yet to see him in a 433 with a true DM behind him. Which 10 months into the season is mind blowing to me.

Last edited:
If he doesn't feature v WHU then I can't see him being here next season.

Not sure its that quite that, as he might not be fit for that match, but certainly if he doesn't play in the majority of the remaining matches, its going to become a big issue.

Cant see Spurs bringing in more than Hojbjerg (or alternative) at CM/DM without Ndombele moving and I don't see Barcelona or Madrid have much cash to make a sensible offer, so we probably cant afford to replace him. Stalemate if Ndombele wants to move on !

Back
Top Bottom