Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Going back to 1990 - In the last 30 years what have we won?

3 domestic cups. That’s us. We are not united or liverpool. It’s a fact.

I view us for what we are. A football club With an ok history trying to become a brand. Which Levy is doing very well at. We are primarily a business.

Trophies for show - profit is the real dough.

Plain and simple.
And you're happy with that? Chelsea's record was much poorer than ours before Harding and Ambrovich came along and Man City.

You say trophies are for show, so what's the profit for?

The most laughable piece of dribble fuckwit bullshit , club and Enic fan boy dimshit is that Levy is a fan.
I think it was Airfixx Airfixx who informed me that levy is a fan of the club, but I suppose as the custodian of the club his heart doesn't rule his head.
I understand that you can't go mad but sometimes you just need to open the purse strings a bit, still it is what it is and no amount of moaning will change our situation.

And you're happy with that? Chelsea's record was much poorer than ours before Harding and Ambrovich came along and Man City.

You say trophies are for show, so what's the profit for?

What a ridiculous question. Would I rather be owned by an oil rich owner and buy titles??
I don’t think it would make me unhappy tbh. Spurs profit does absolutely nothing for me.

What am I meant to do? I can’t run on the pitch and play football. I can’t buy the club.

That’s it. Whoever owns us decides what happens. Our owner wanted to build a business.

I support Spurs. That’s it. Am I happy with our trophy return. I’m unhappy we royally fucked our chances of winning trophies in the past 10 years.

I'll give him whatever time he's here.

This is my point.....If a manager who wins trophies at every single club he's managed fails to replicate that at Spurs, surely, in Gods name, there can be no more excuses for the owners?..

It has to be the final proof, if such proof is needed, that the problem, is in fact, Daniel Levy.

I think that’s the long and short of it. I don’t think we even need to spend a fortune to satisfy Mourinho in getting the players in he needs. Saying that, I don’t think we need to, we just need to be clever in the market.

The pandemic came at the worst time for us. Finally we had a stadium to produce the income to pay the wages (and get rid of the excuse we can’t pay the high wages to get the best players here) and prize money to pay the transfer fees that lots of fans are craving. I suspect we would of had a similar outlay to last summer this upcoming window if it weren’t for the virus. Why wouldn’t we? Money would be there and improvements would be needed.

Why not.

Deloitte Football Money League | Deloitte UK

We're only just behind them.

And we're ahead of the likes of Woolwich, Chelsea, Dortmund, Juventus and many others who will invest more in their playing squad than us.

We have the revenue. We have a manager who wins trophies at every club he manages.

There can be no more excuses.
The link you posted is an over all wealth thing, is it not ?

The wealth of a club has no correlation to spending power.
We have the best stadium and own a lot of land in one of the most expensive cities in the world. Obviously we are going to be "rich".

With FFP though, we can only spend a percentage of our revenue, not our "wealth".

Spurs revenue for 2019 - £460.7m
Dippers revenue for 2019 - £533m

A whopping £72.3m in the difference for only one year, the year we both reached the CL final.

In 2018
Spurs revenue - £442m
Dippers revenue - £513.7m

A difference of £71.3m

So the Dippers revenues are and probably always will be bigger than ours. Man Utd revenues are off the scale.
Man Utd 2019 - £627.1m
Man Utd 2018 - £589.8m

We can't spend as much as them, no matter who owns the club. It really is that simple.

Last edited:
Did he bollocks. Poch got the best out of the meagre budget Levy afforded him.

Tell me, what tools did he give Poch between the end of the january window 2018 through to the end of the January window 2019, while all our rivals were breaking their transfer records multiple times over to strengthen their squads.

And why do you prefer to back a CEO who likes to keep reminding the peasants we have to get over our obsession with spending money, than a manager who cried out for the club to be brave and was rewarded with one and a half years of £0.00p investment.

It's this kind of thing that makes us the butt of so many jokes.

I just find it really bizarre.
Bang on the money. Levy is a cunt

I will post this here as chum to the sharks and mostly because I agree with it and I'm not sure there's a better thread to post it. I think Spurs were a bit unfortunate when Chelsea struck lightning in a bottle in 2016/17, but the club didn't make an impact investment from for 4 years (Wanyama in 2016 until Ndombele/Lo Celso in 2020), and Summer 2018 alone probably set the club back 3-4 years.

Pochettino and Klopp both built good sides, but only one got...

So what happened? What allowed Liverpool to take those long bounding steps in the last few years, not just past Tottenham but past every other team in the Premier League and the rest of the world? Why did they take the chance that Tottenham ultimately missed?

The answer has to be recruitment. Both teams were good in their own way but only Liverpool made that final step to being great. Because they reacted to setbacks by making obvious upgrades. Two months after that defeat at Wembley, Liverpool bought Virgil van Dijk for £75 million. Two months after Loris Karius cost them the Champions League final in Kyiv they bought Allison for £68 million. And those two players have been integral to Liverpool sweeping everything before them in the two years since.

Compare that to Tottenham. They never improved on the team that Mauricio Pochettino and Paul Mitchell built in those first two years working together. Teams at their peak should keep improving themselves with top players to maintain that freshness, but Spurs never did. And they let their advantage erode.

The problem is that Pochettino was trying to do all this while Tottenham were also trying to build their new £1.2 billion stadium, a process that left them homeless for almost two years, the time when the squad stagnated. Unfortunately that made it difficult for a club who was paying for its own stadium, with no public money, and no benefactor throwing money at them, to keep investing in players. For Liverpool, a global superclub with huge commercial revenues, the money for top players was always at hand.

“It was difficult wasn’t it,” Paul Mitchell, who resigned in 2016, told The Athletic in a recent interview. “When you’re trying to build a stadium, and the level of investment that takes now, it’s hard to align the two. Because of the sums of money it costs now to invest in players, especially in the Premier League.”

“But my philosophy is that that is needed, year on year, new voices, new profile, just to stimulate the group. Just to keep the group competitive. Keep the group daily training at its maximum. That competitive stimulation that all great teams have. It doesn’t have to be a whole wave of new players. Two or three or four players every window, of the highest quality, that can try to break into that starting line-up, is crucial to continue being competitive at the very, very top echelons of the game.”

That, ultimately, is the difference between Tottenham and Liverpool. Tottenham never made those final steps in the market, and Liverpool did. Both Klopp and Pochettino built good sides, but only one of those two men was backed enough to push for greatness. And now Jose Mourinho has to try to relaunch a very different looking Tottenham team back towards where they used to be.

This might be a lesson to the growing teams of the 2020s, who builds to the point of being on the brink of glory. Whether that is Everton or Manchester United or Woolwich or Wolves. These windows of opportunity only come along rarely. So clubs have to take advantage if they can, backing the manager, buying the right players, trying to make that step from good to great. Because when they are shut they do not re-open fast.

Counterpoint:

Last edited:
I would also like to say that I think wages is a larger problem than net spend on transfers. We need to move away from incentive based contracts and come more in line with how the rest of the top 6 compensate players. We now have the financial standing to do so.

Overachieved?

Had one of the best teams in the league for 3 season.

Won the grand total of nothing.

Got knocked out by Gent over 2 legs in the Europa, beaten by the likes of Leicester, Palace in the FA cup and knocked out by Colchester in the league cup.

During his tenure we were the only top 6 side not to win anything - an inferior Woolwich side won 2 FA cups. An inferior United team won an FA cup, League Cup and UEFA cup.

The only thing the man excelled at was convincing many that he was was responsible for that team and this was all down to him. And guess what happened when that team matured? He got sacked with the club 14th in the league with none of his highly expensive signings showing any worth.

But if only Levy had given him more money.......

The fact that people keep on saying this when the man had a prime Kane, Ali, Eriksen, Son, Dembele, Vertonghen, Alderwield, Walker etc really does say it all.

By saying that you are actually making the case that he was always the weak link in the chain.
This all makes sense if you fail to acknowledge that Spurs weren’t expected trophy challengers until his arrival.

I’m on record as saying far too many Spurs fans overrate the individuals from that era.

Similar to Klopp’s Dortmund That team was greater than the sum of its parts; how things rapidly fell apart is proof.

how many clubs win regularly with The 6th highest budget in their country?

ps every single big cup Or European final/semi final we lost was actually to a team that finished ahead of us in the league.

the weakest link in the chain will remain the ownership and we’ve seen that through multiple coaches.

I will post this here as chum to the sharks and mostly because I agree with it and I'm not sure there's a better thread to post it. I think Spurs were a bit unfortunate when Chelsea struck lightning in a bottle in 2016/17, but the club didn't make an impact investment from for 4 years (Wanyama in 2016 until Ndombele/Lo Celso in 2020), and Summer 2018 alone probably set the club back 3-4 years.

Pochettino and Klopp both built good sides, but only one got...

So what happened? What allowed Liverpool to take those long bounding steps in the last few years, not just past Tottenham but past every other team in the Premier League and the rest of the world? Why did they take the chance that Tottenham ultimately missed?

The answer has to be recruitment. Both teams were good in their own way but only Liverpool made that final step to being great. Because they reacted to setbacks by making obvious upgrades. Two months after that defeat at Wembley, Liverpool bought Virgil van Dijk for £75 million. Two months after Loris Karius cost them the Champions League final in Kyiv they bought Allison for £68 million. And those two players have been integral to Liverpool sweeping everything before them in the two years since.

Compare that to Tottenham. They never improved on the team that Mauricio Pochettino and Paul Mitchell built in those first two years working together. Teams at their peak should keep improving themselves with top players to maintain that freshness, but Spurs never did. And they let their advantage erode.

The problem is that Pochettino was trying to do all this while Tottenham were also trying to build their new £1.2 billion stadium, a process that left them homeless for almost two years, the time when the squad stagnated. Unfortunately that made it difficult for a club who was paying for its own stadium, with no public money, and no benefactor throwing money at them, to keep investing in players. For Liverpool, a global superclub with huge commercial revenues, the money for top players was always at hand.

“It was difficult wasn’t it,” Paul Mitchell, who resigned in 2016, told The Athletic in a recent interview. “When you’re trying to build a stadium, and the level of investment that takes now, it’s hard to align the two. Because of the sums of money it costs now to invest in players, especially in the Premier League.”

“But my philosophy is that that is needed, year on year, new voices, new profile, just to stimulate the group. Just to keep the group competitive. Keep the group daily training at its maximum. That competitive stimulation that all great teams have. It doesn’t have to be a whole wave of new players. Two or three or four players every window, of the highest quality, that can try to break into that starting line-up, is crucial to continue being competitive at the very, very top echelons of the game.”

That, ultimately, is the difference between Tottenham and Liverpool. Tottenham never made those final steps in the market, and Liverpool did. Both Klopp and Pochettino built good sides, but only one of those two men was backed enough to push for greatness. And now Jose Mourinho has to try to relaunch a very different looking Tottenham team back towards where they used to be.

This might be a lesson to the growing teams of the 2020s, who builds to the point of being on the brink of glory. Whether that is Everton or Manchester United or Woolwich or Wolves. These windows of opportunity only come along rarely. So clubs have to take advantage if they can, backing the manager, buying the right players, trying to make that step from good to great. Because when they are shut they do not re-open fast.

Counterpoint:

Tottenham 2016-17 vs Liverpool 2019-20 would be a great game but we'd lose.

I don't like Liverpool, I never have but they're too good.

You can’t ignore the fact that under Levy/ ENIC we have 1 league cup to our name in over 20 years. An embarrassing stat when you compare all the other top 6 sides recent trophy history. Other big clubs win trophies, Spurs simply have forgotten how to under this lot. You can blame the managers at times of course, but when it comes to the crunch, Levy N Co provide the funds and help push the club forward, like the Liverpool owners have. They frankly don’t do anywhere enough on the playing field and it bloody shows when you see us potless season after season. Levy/ENIC are pretty happy to us pay the most expensive tickets in the country, raking in profits, selling players to balance sheets and getting the odd top 4 place. They really couldn’t careless about winning trophies and it’s been proven for years.
Agree our record since 1991 before ENIC is embarrassing. You will get no argument from me on that. Have there been times when Levy has either not backed the Manager or tried to get a deal and lost it like Grealish. Yes. But today I should be watching Spurs play MU in the Cup. I was at the Norwich match and despite no Son or Kane and despite the fact we did not buy a striker back up in either last summer or January we should have had enough to beat the bottom team. We should have beaten Portsmouth in the F A Cup semi and done better in many of the other big cup matches. That was not all Levy but the players and Manager. No one expects to win all the time but as you point out we are winning none of the time when a trophy is at stake.
It is not how much you pay for a player but getting the right one. Ndombele was expensive and that was Levy backing the Manager but it has not worked out. Ozil and Pogba at other clubs is the same.
What has changed in the last couple of weeks during which we drew with one of the richest teams and beat a local rival to bring out the Levy out brigade?

Actually you are arguing against the levy defenders there. They are saying the players are there but its poch who has let us down. The anti levy people do think the players levy have given the manager simply aren't good enough. Its the pro levy lot who think they are good enough. There argument isn't poch didn't have a good enough team.
That is because I am not on either side as there is blame on both sides.

One of the things I will criticise Levy for is our transfer policy.
The Dippers took the money from the Coutinho sale, identified where their team was weakest and spent big on 2 positions, CB and keeper.
Compare that to where we spent the Bale money. We bought 6 players, presumably to spread the "risk" on lesser players, only one of which worked out. Instead we should of spent that on 2 really top class players.

Mark Laurenson was talking about the Dippers transfer policy where there is one man in charge. He used the example of saying that if the Dippers were after a RB, this fella has 5 lined up so you have back up options if you don't get your main target. He presents this to Klopp who says yes or no.
A committee, he said, doesn't work because people have different views on a player and there's no accountability.

Makes sense to me.

Blaming Levy all the time is like a record on repeat and is just plain boring. That does not mean that Levy does not have his faults but I am sick and tired of reading the same old arguments.
But you're missing the point entirely.

Levy isn't getting the blame at all, is he. He's sticks around as the managers carry the can one after the other.

We blame the manager, he gets sacked.
We blame the next one, he gets sacked.
We blame the next one, he gets sacked.
And the next, and the next............

Surely, there has to come a time where you take a step back and ask yourself if maybe it's not the manager we should always be pointing the finger at.

Will you still be blaming the managers in 2040 if an ageing Levy is still hiring and firing with a record of 1 carling cup in 40 years?
At what point would the penny drop?

Our fans would do far better throwing their support behind a football man who cries out for more investment in our football team, rather than a suited CEO refusing his pleas while swanning around the States sewing up NFL deals.

Tottenham 2016-17 vs Liverpool 2019-20 would be a great game but we'd lose.

I don't like Liverpool, I never have but they're too good.
We played them pretty even this season, let alone with 2016/17 squad. I think people forget how good that team was. Liverpool is good but they aren't Barca from 10 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom