Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Something will have to give. But usually they always blame the manager, never levy & enic. Look how many have turned on poch so easily & quickly.
Just as we and others predicted they would in Summer 2018, to much ridicule and denial.
And here we are. Proven right on every single prediction and still they keep digging themselves in deeper and deeper.

Liverpool are only 3 points behind that 16/17 total now after 31 games FFS. People really think that 16/17 side was a superteam
Liverpool are on the same pace for xG, xGA and xPts as that 2016/17 Spurs squad. This Liverpool team is worse than 2017/18 City but people act like it's a super team because the rest of the league pooped themselves.

After all the evidence from previous summers and transfer windows, the fact there are STILL people willing to defend Levy is truly depressing. I guess the fact we have the longest bar in Europe really IS more important to some people? Who’d have thunk it?

Liverpool are on the same pace for xG, xGA and xPts as that 2016/17 Spurs squad. This Liverpool team is worse than 2017/18 City but people act like it's a super team because the rest of the league pooped themselves.
Analytics is good up until a point. It shows how marvellously coached we were but maybe we just lacked enough true elite talent at crucial times.
LFC also have a 97 point season and a 2 straight CL finals. It’s a better team with better depth and better support from ownership.

N’Koudou and Janssen or Shaquiri and Origi?

But you're missing the point entirely.

Levy isn't getting the blame at all, is he. He's sticks around as the managers carry the can one after the other.

We blame the manager, he gets sacked.
We blame the next one, he gets sacked.
And the next, and the next............

Surely, there has to come a time where you take a step back and ask yourself if maybe it's not the manager we should always be pointing the finger at.

Will you still be blaming the managers in 2040 if an ageing Levy is still hiring and firing with a record of 1 carling cup in 40 years?
At what point would the penny drop?

Our fans would do far better throwing their support behind a football man who cries out for more investment in our football team, rather than a suited CEO refusing his pleas while swanning around the States sewing up NFL deals.

The only area where I have agreed with Levy more often than not is when he sacked our manager.

But that's really a poor reflection on him for appointing the wrong person in the first place.

He's got rid of nine permanent managers:

George Graham - I disagreed (controversial, I know). It was obvious that ENIC wanted him out from day one. We had just reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup and Gary Lineker said it was as though Levy was worried we might win the FA Cup under Graham and that it would make it more difficult to sack him.
I thought that perfectly summed up Levy's attitude. He wanted Graham out and Hoddle in, thinking that a club legend would make a great manager...

Glenn Hoddle - I agreed. Wonderful player but lacking as a manager, particularly in his man-management skills which have been well documented.
He also seems a bit of a twat (sorry).

Jacques Santini - I absolutely agreed. The fucking lying cunt claimed his wife was ill when she wasn't and then moaned afterwards that his house a few hundred yards from the sea wasn't near the seaside!!

DICKHEAD!!

Martin Jol
- I disagreed. The way Levy treated him was a disgrace.

Wendy Ramos - I agreed. He would have relegated us.

Harry Redknapp - I absolutely disagreed. I thought he did an excellent job and gets the sack for basically expressing an interest in the England job.

Andre Villas-Boas - I absolutely agreed. I fucking hated this guy from day one. A complete charlatan and Chelsea's season took off the moment they sacked him.
But, hey, apparently AVB brings really impressive PowerPoint presentations to his job interviews and that's what really matters, isn't it?

Tim Sherwood - I agreed. I thought he improved things but he was out of his depth and didn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

Mauricio Pochettino - I reluctantly agreed. There had been some breakdown in his relationship with the players and once that's gone, it can't be fixed.

We played them pretty even this season, let alone with 2016/17 squad. I think people forget how good that team was. Liverpool is good but they aren't Barca from 10 years ago.

Liverpool absolutely walked the title his year, beating what it is still an excellent Manchester City side.

We were very good in 2016/17 and that's when we peaked but we were never in contention for the title. We had an astonishing run-in and still couldn't get close to Chelsea.

This Liverpool side would beat our 2017 side.

Analytics is good up until a point. It shows how marvellously coached we were but maybe we just lacked enough true elite talent at crucial times.
LFC also have a 97 point season and a 2 straight CL finals. It’s a better team with better depth and better support from ownership.

N’Koudou and Janssen or Shaquiri and Origi?
I'm not really debating body of work but rather if 2019/2020 Liverpool played 2016/2017 Tottenham in a home/home, it probably would be pretty damn even.

Put another way, if you put 2016/2017 Tottenham into the league this year, it probably wouldn't change the outcome, but it likely would have gone down to the last few matches.

Liverpool caught a ton of breaks the first half of the year where they really didn't outplay the opponent and got 3 points instead of 1. Similarly how Spurs outplayed a lot of opponents in 2016/17 but ended up with draws rather than wins. Some of this is coaching, but a lot of it is just random luck.

The biggest difference for me is that Liverpool were (are) more consistent than Spurs for a much longer period of time, and that's why they had the opportunity to win more. Spurs basically had a 12-18 month window to win trophies and Liverpool's window is going on 30 months, and this is down to the recruitment and ability to pay wages.

I'm not really debating body of work but rather if 2019/2020 Liverpool played 2016/2017 Tottenham in a home/home, it probably would be pretty damn even.

Oh, please....

Liverpool have lost only two of their last SEVENTY league games.

We were very good in 2016/17 but Liverpool are on another level altogether.

Agree our record since 1991 before ENIC is embarrassing. You will get no argument from me on that. Have there been times when Levy has either not backed the Manager or tried to get a deal and lost it like Grealish. Yes. But today I should be watching Spurs play MU in the Cup. I was at the Norwich match and despite no Son or Kane and despite the fact we did not buy a striker back up in either last summer or January we should have had enough to beat the bottom team. We should have beaten Portsmouth in the F A Cup semi and done better in many of the other big cup matches. That was not all Levy but the players and Manager. No one expects to win all the time but as you point out we are winning none of the time when a trophy is at stake.
It is not how much you pay for a player but getting the right one. Ndombele was expensive and that was Levy backing the Manager but it has not worked out. Ozil and Pogba at other clubs is the same.
What has changed in the last couple of weeks during which we drew with one of the richest teams and beat a local rival to bring out the Levy out brigade?

Some of us are sick to death of the club underachieving mate. Some of us are sick and tired of seeing the likes of Chelsea etc win trophies, whilst we feed off the scraps. It’s not to much to ask, but 1 league Cup in over 20 years for a club of our size is nothing short of embarrassing

But you're missing the point entirely.

Levy isn't getting the blame at all, is he. He's sticks around as the managers carry the can one after the other.

We blame the manager, he gets sacked.
And the next, and the next............

Surely, there has to come a time where you take a step back and ask yourself if maybe it's not the manager we should always be pointing the finger at.

Will you still be blaming the managers in 2040 if an ageing Levy is still hiring and firing with a record of 1 carling cup in 40 years?
At what point would the penny drop?

Our fans would do far better throwing their support behind a football man who cries out for more investment in our football team, rather than a suited CEO refusing his pleas while swanning around the States sewing up NFL deals.
You and fellow posters are blaming Levy. What is the levy out thread all about. I have made it clear in numerous posts that Levy shares the blame in our appalling lack of trophies since 1990. It is not all down to him though. I do not think he wanted to sack Poch but had no alternative with what was going on. I was expecting some unknown Caretaker Manager who would struggle to keep us out of the relegation battle. No he persuaded one of the most successful Managers to come here despite everyone knowing that we would not be spending in the same league as some other teams. I still am in 2 minds if Jose will ever be accepted or be successful with us but until the end of the season there is no choice.
I cannot understand why this thread and the Levy out thread have been resurrected at the present time.

You and fellow posters are blaming Levy. What is the levy out thread all about. I have made it clear in numerous posts that Levy shares the blame in our appalling lack of trophies since 1990. It is not all down to him though. I do not think he wanted to sack Poch but had no alternative with what was going on. I was expecting some unknown Caretaker Manager who would struggle to keep us out of the relegation battle. No he persuaded one of the most successful Managers to come here despite everyone knowing that we would not be spending in the same league as some other teams. I still am in 2 minds if Jose will ever be accepted or be successful with us but until the end of the season there is no choice.
I cannot understand why this thread and the Levy out thread have been resurrected at the present time.
Because Liverpool winning the league has reignited the argument that it could of been us, but due to poor decision making, reluctance to spend, plus a few other factors has seen us continue to excel in failure.

Last edited:
Because Liverpool winning the league has reignited the argument that it could of be us, but due to poor decision making, reluctance to spend, plus a few other factors has seen us continue to excel in failure.

The season we had a management team that wanted to kick on and instead we signed absolutely nobody sums it up.
As there was nobody in the world who could improve our squad. Laughable.

Because Liverpool winning the league has reignited the argument that it could of be us, but due to poor decision making, reluctance to spend, plus a few other factors has seen us continue to excel in failure.
Well they are deluded. I certainly never thought that and Liverpool were effectively Champions many months ago. We have not won the league since 1961 and I have had no reason to change my opinion when many years ago I said that despite seeing Spurs win the League and England win the World Cup that I would not see either again.

The season we had a management team that wanted to kick on and instead we signed absolutely nobody sums it up.
As there was nobody in the world who could improve our squad. Laughable.
The day it was confirmed beyond all reasonable doubt what ENIC’s true intentions are

Poch became just another scapegoat for a regime built around profits not silverware

Last edited:
After all the evidence from previous summers and transfer windows, the fact there are STILL people willing to defend Levy is truly depressing. I guess the fact we have the longest bar in Europe really IS more important to some people? Who’d have thunk it?

I really dont see anyone defending him. All I see is people blaming him solely for everything that hasn’t gone right, rather than accepting that he was part of a group of people who have made wrong decisions. Those people angry at ENIC seem incapable of realising that other people involved have made errors too. That’s the bit I find bizarre.

Back
Top Bottom