In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mourinho may already have overstayed his welcome. Whether that’s the case or not, the general consensus seems to be, Mourinho is a short term fix. On that note I’ll just leave a list of some of my current favourites. I don’t think Poch should be our next manager, but I like him, so he made The List:

Rank I
Julian Nagelsmann (RB Leipzig)
Marcelo Bielsa (Leeds Utd)
Mauricio Pochettino

Rank II
Marcelo Gallardo (River Plate)
Jesse Marsch (RB Salzburg)

Rank III
Arne Slot (AZ Alkmaar)
Marco Rose (Borussia Mönchengladbach)

Rank IV
Ivan Juric (Verona)
Graham Potter (Brighton)
Gian Piero Gasperini (Atalanta)

Rank V
Erik Ten Hag (Ajax)
Roberto De Zerbi (Sassuolo)

Other options, who could be released by their clubs this summer for different reasons, Quique Setien (FC Barcelona) and Stefano Pioli (AC Milan).

It’s an understatement that I’m no fan of Mourinho’s approach to the game. I never wanted him here, still don’t want him and I want him gone NOW!

I would like us to emulate what Man Utd did with OGS. 4 games left it basically nothing for a new guy to show anything, and there’s virtually no time between the games (except the last one) to implement new ideas.

Never the less, me being a romantic, I want us to go and knock on the door at Ferencvaros, offer them a symbolic fee to let us pull Sergiy Rebrov out of his holiday and loan him until we’ve played our last game. Give the man a chance to redeem himself at the club, and if he shows just a little spark of anything, he could have his name in the hat this summer. For all of those who think it’s important with a manager who’s won things, Rebrov would tick the box.

Rebrov was assigned as Caretaker Manager on 17th of April 2014 at former club Dynamo Kyiv. On 19th of May, after Dynamo won the Ukrainian Cup for the first time in five years, Rebrov was appointed as Manager. In the 2014/15 season Kyiv won the League (undefeated) and the Ukrainian Cup, which saw them win the double for the first time in 8 years. It was also their first League Title in 6 years. Doesn’t sound like a long dry spell, but just to add some context, prior to Rebrov’s appointment, Kyiv finished outside of the top 2 for the first time since the Ukrainian League was established in 1992.

Rebrov stayed at Kyiv for the 3 years as agreed in his contract. In that time he won 2 League titles, 2 Ukrainian Cups and 1 Ukrainian Super Cup.

After a short spell with Al-Ahli, Rebrov signed with Hungarian side Ferencvaros in 2018, where he’s won 2 League titles.

Serhiy Rebrov: the Dynamo Kyiv legend overtaken by darkness, now charging into the light

His time as part of the backroom staff at Dynamo was an apprenticeship that would lead to a successful managerial career thus far, with the former striker displaying many of the skills he had learnt from his days playing under the great Valeriy Lobanovskyi. He took control of the Dynamo first team in 2014 and delivered a Ukrainian Cup victory in his first term, then a league and cup double the following year. Dynamo then retained the title in the 2015/16 season and lifted the Ukrainian Super Cup. In the same season, he also guided the club to the knockout stages of the Champions League. It was the first time Dynamo had reached that stage of Europe’s premier club competition for 15 years. His success led FourFourTwo to name him amongst their top 50 managers of the year twice in succession.

Mourinho may already have overstayed his welcome. Whether that’s the case or not, the general consensus seems to be, Mourinho is a short term fix. On that note I’ll just leave a list of some of my current favourites. I don’t think Poch should be our next manager, but I like him, so he made The List:

Rank I
Mauricio Pochettino

Rank II

Rank III
Arne Slot (AZ Alkmaar)

Rank IV
Ivan Juric (Verona)
Graham Potter (Brighton)

Rank V
Erik Ten Hag (Ajax)

Other options, who could be released by their clubs this summer for different reasons, Quique Setien (FC Barcelona) and Stefano Pioli (AC Milan).

It’s an understatement that I’m no fan of Mourinho’s approach to the game. I never wanted him here, still don’t want him and I want him gone NOW!

I would like us to emulate what Man Utd did with OGS. 4 games left it basically nothing for a new guy to show anything, and there’s virtually no time between the games (except the last one) to implement new ideas.

Never the less, me being a romantic, I want us to go and knock on the door at Ferencvaros, offer them a symbolic fee to let us pull Sergiy Rebrov out of his holiday and loan him until we’ve played our last game. Give the man a chance to redeem himself at the club, and if he shows just a little spark of anything, he could have his name in the hat this summer. For all of those who think it’s important with a manager who’s won things, Rebrov would tick the box.

Rebrov was assigned as Caretaker Manager on 17th of April 2014 at former club Dynamo Kyiv. On 19th of May, after Dynamo won the Ukrainian Cup for the first time in five years, Rebrov was appointed as Manager. In the 2014/15 season Kyiv won the League (undefeated) and the Ukrainian Cup, which saw them win the double for the first time in 8 years. It was also their first League Title in 6 years. Doesn’t sound like a long dry spell, but just to add some context, prior to Rebrov’s appointment, Kyiv finished outside of the top 2 for the first time since the Ukrainian League was established in 1992.

Rebrov stayed at Kyiv for the 3 years as agreed in his contract. In that time he won 2 League titles, 2 Ukrainian Cups and 1 Ukrainian Super Cup.

After a short spell with Al-Ahli, Rebrov signed with Hungarian side Ferencvaros in 2018, where he’s won 2 League titles.

Serhiy Rebrov: the Dynamo Kyiv legend overtaken by darkness, now charging into the light

His time as part of the backroom staff at Dynamo was an apprenticeship that would lead to a successful managerial career thus far, with the former striker displaying many of the skills he had learnt from his days playing under the great Valeriy Lobanovskyi. He took control of the Dynamo first team in 2014 and delivered a Ukrainian Cup victory in his first term, then a league and cup double the following year. Dynamo then retained the title in the 2015/16 season and lifted the Ukrainian Super Cup. In the same season, he also guided the club to the knockout stages of the Champions League. It was the first time Dynamo had reached that stage of Europe’s premier club competition for 15 years. His success led FourFourTwo to name him amongst their top 50 managers of the year twice in succession.

Love the caretaker role. Not happening as there is too much pride in the upper brass, but I would love to see your vision take shape.

My only agenda is to get back to playing lovely, competitive football. I am a fan of the RBS/RBL pipeline and think Jesse has the charisma and training to make a name for himself here. Julian would be taking a sidestep IMO as he is already pushing RBL to the top of the BL and CL and he has a much younger squad. Add the endless pipeline of talent and I don’t think you could ask for a better setup. Germans can hate all they want on the RBL takeover, but they have a network that works.

I don’t want Biesla. Think we need a young gun, someone that hasn’t experienced a lifetime of football and that is a bit more optimistic. Biesla is a legend, but something about him just screams a bit of what we experienced with Poch in his later years here.

Can someone explain to me the Bielsa love? (I don't just mean the poster above who listed him high I have seen similar sentiments from others around the web).

He doesn't have a particularly impressive track record, seems like a huge prick and awful to deal with, the one positive is that many other managers talk about how much they learned from him but it doesn't seem to translate to his teams being any good on the pitch, he also seems to leave places at the drop of a hat so we would need to have a back-up plan in case at all times.

Why are we talking about a new manager when ENIC (the real problem) will still remain at the club?

Doesn't matter who we get, won't change a thing.
There is one thing we could get with a new manager, a trust in youth and no over reliance on certain players.

Other teams can fire a young player in and give them a chance to show what they can do. We either don't or drop them after their first mistake.

Can someone explain to me the Bielsa love? (I don't just mean the poster above who listed him high I have seen similar sentiments from others around the web).

He doesn't have a particularly impressive track record, seems like a huge prick and awful to deal with, the one positive is that many other managers talk about how much they learned from him but it doesn't seem to translate to his teams being any good on the pitch, he also seems to leave places at the drop of a hat so we would need to have a back-up plan in case at all times.

I don’t think you’ll understand it, cos in your world the players are responsible for performances and the manager (for instance Mourinho) is not to be held accountable.

Bielsa drills his teams extremely hard, and every player knows exactly where to be at any given time. His tactics are so incorporated that youngsters or players played out of position can slot in easily. He’s playing high intensive pressing, so like Poch, there’s a risk of losing the dressing room after some time.

Unlike Mourinho he makes players better

I don’t think you’ll understand it, cos in your world the players are responsible for performances and the manager (for instance Mourinho) is not to be held accountable.

Bielsa drills his teams extremely hard, and every player knows exactly where to be at any given time. His tactics are so incorporated that youngsters or players played out of position can slot in easily. He’s playing high intensive pressing, so like Poch, there’s a risk of losing the dressing room after some time.

Unlike Mourinho he makes players better

LOL

Do you think making stuff up makes your argument stronger?

That is awesome if he drills his teams extremely hard how come it hasn't resulted in great results? He is 64 years old his best result seems to be an Olympic Gold with Argentina, then he had an ok run with Chile, ok time at Athletic Bilbao, a mediocre run at Marseille where he fought with the owners, a 2 day run at Lazio where he quit because of the owners, a bizarre run at Lille where he fought with the owners and senior players with no results for the team, and then his time at Leeds where he choked away promotion last year and seems to have them in a spot to get it this year.

He can drill his teams with the best of him but there is nothing there that indicates he would be a good manager for us (or anyone). He seems to use management not giving him support as an excuse to leave, seems to create conflicts with owners everywhere he goes and he doesn't seem to get a ton of results for all the headaches he brings.

So feel free to make up all the things about me that you want but that doesn't really make a strong case for bringing in 64 year old Bielsa to manage our squad.

Rank I
Mauricio Pochettino

Rank II

Rank III
Arne Slot (AZ Alkmaar)

Rank IV
Ivan Juric (Verona)
Graham Potter (Brighton)

Rank V
Erik Ten Hag (Ajax)

Good stuff, but personally I don't think there's much point in bringing anyone new in until we've had a complete restructure. Many of those managers (who I like too) really need a structure round them to recruit the right players for them etc, to get the best out of their methodology.

So frustrating that Rangnick was desperate for a English club and we weren't interested.

On top of a complete re-structure - DOF, Recruitment Dept, Scouting, Academy Coaching, etc - I would really like us to find a partner club or two in Europe's feeder leagues, so that we can actually get some football into the better academy players and younger purchases etc.

I’m not a fan but his teams aren’t defensive...
21-A1-D582-AC19-48-EA-8-C09-A5-ABE07-A9175.gif

LOL

Do you think making stuff up makes your argument stronger?

That is awesome if he drills his teams extremely hard how come it hasn't resulted in great results? He is 64 years old his best result seems to be an Olympic Gold with Argentina, then he had an ok run with Chile, ok time at Athletic Bilbao, a mediocre run at Marseille where he fought with the owners, a 2 day run at Lazio where he quit because of the owners, a bizarre run at Lille where he fought with the owners and senior players with no results for the team, and then his time at Leeds where he choked away promotion last year and seems to have them in a spot to get it this year.

He can drill his teams with the best of him but there is nothing there that indicates he would be a good manager for us (or anyone). He seems to use management not giving him support as an excuse to leave, seems to create conflicts with owners everywhere he goes and he doesn't seem to get a ton of results for all the headaches he brings.

So feel free to make up all the things about me that you want but that doesn't really make a strong case for bringing in 64 year old Bielsa to manage our squad.

You can call it “making up stuff”, but your Mourinho defence is just beyond laughable at this point. You claim the players to be the main issue, but there should still be enough quality to oversee a weak Bournemouth side. The best paid manager just doesn’t know how it’s done.

Bielsa had Bilbao playing some nice football. Equally he’s got Leeds playing great. They were a lot better than Premier League side, Woolwich, in the Cup, despite losing 1-0. I don’t think they’ll have problems surviving in the Prem.

Good stuff, but personally I don't think there's much point in bringing anyone new in until we've had a complete restructure. Many of those managers (who I like too) really need a structure round them to recruit the right players for them etc, to get the best out of their methodology.

So frustrating that Rangnick was desperate for a English club and we weren't interested.

On top of a complete re-structure - DOF, Recruitment Dept, Scouting, Academy Coaching, etc - I would really like us to find a partner club or two in Europe's feeder leagues, so that we can actually get some football into the better academy players and younger purchases etc.

I disagree. Poch came a long way despite our lacking structure. Right here and now we could do a lot better than Mourinho, and it’s shocking knowing how much he’s getting paid for unsettling the players.

No doubt I would like all that in place, but with only Eriksen to show for the Bale money, I don’t know how eager Levy is bringing in a new DOF. I would love Rangnick and he would be the dream, but at the same time, getting the wrong guy in could be a massive disaster.

I don't think it's a good idea for Poch to come back. He should go to Real Madrid and try to win something.

Real Madrid usually sack their manager every 18 months or so, even if they’re top of the table and winning European Cups, so plenty of time for Pochettino to come back if he’s daft enough to want it. We’re probably moving back towards a cycle of sacking the manager every 18 months as well.

You can call it “making up stuff”, but your Mourinho defence is just beyond laughable at this point. You claim the players to be the main issue, but there should still be enough quality to oversee a weak Bournemouth side. The best paid manager just doesn’t know how it’s done.

Bielsa had Bilbao playing some nice football. Equally he’s got Leeds playing great. They were a lot better than Premier League side, Woolwich, in the Cup, despite losing 1-0. I don’t think they’ll have problems surviving in the Prem.

It is making stuff, I do not have a Mourinho defense just want people to blame the players when they are at fault. The players are 100% the main issue, we had a different manager and had the same issues because the players are 100% the main issue.

So Bielsa's selling point is that he got Bilbao playing some good football and at Leeds was able to lose to Woolwich?

It is making stuff, I do not have a Mourinho defense just want people to blame the players when they are at fault. The players are 100% the main issue, we had a different manager and had the same issues because the players are 100% the main issue.

So Bielsa's selling point is that he got Bilbao playing some good football and at Leeds was able to lose to Woolwich?

If it’s not defending Mourinho, you are actually saying our squad is no stronger than the Bournemouth side?

My point about Bielsa is, he makes players better and make them punch above their weight. Something that would be very nice at this point of time.

Hassenhutl every day of the week. Southampton run the most out of every team in the prem. When I watch them with squad he has they impress me every time.

That they recovered after the City pasting marks Hassenhutl out.

Mourinho just doesn't seem to have even his old tools anymore. That would have made it a hard watch but a winning one.

What we are being served is on no menu I have seen, weirdness of situation or not.

Back
Top Bottom