In search of Mourinho's successor.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Pochettino would come back. In a heartbeat if he got some reassurance.s
It would be such a disaster in every way.

It's like getting back with an ex after a year or whatever. But nostalia doesn't build a working relationship and soon you break up for the same reasons as you did in the first place.

The answer to this is: Mauricio Pochettino!

Let’s do a Real Madrid and get this legend back. See what Zidane did for them this season. I’ll all up for giving Mourinho a shot but I’m feeling very glum since the restart especially as I believe we have a lot of really good attacking players in our team. I think Mourinho will need to clear house whereas I think Poch might actually get playing football again
Poch along with Levy and the transfer committee got us into the state we are now in.
The massive decline has been coming for 2 years.

Yeah - Pochettino should NEVER come back.

That chapter has come and gone.

We need someone with new and fresh ideas, who can get the history of the club and make us believe in this club again.

i am fine with Poch coming back but we need to first sell off Winks and Dier at least. Probably Dele as well.

Get Julian Nagelsmann. He seems like the next Klopp.

Question:

Are we a bigger step up than him just staying at RB? Or is it a big enough step up?

I think Nagelsmann likely has a shot at a much bigger club if he sticks around another year and has a similar season.

Some options that could open up and he be a possibility- City if Pep leaves, Bayern although i don't know the German league politics that may already rule that out, Barca with their current guy not great, PSG always seem to be ready to move on.

I don't think it makes much sense for him to come here, especially as we are unlikely to be able to pay him a huge salary or offer him the transfer freedom he would want.

Nagelsmann is primed for a move this summer he will lose most of his best players (werner already gone) and has nothing left to prove at Leipzig.
I think you may be wrong here. This is his first season at RBL for one thing and the other is I'm not sure Werner is not his type of player anyway. He never had a straight burner at Hoffenheim if memory serves. He will more likely see out most of his 4 or 5 years before moving and he will rebuild that club in his likeness which it wasn't fully this season for obvious reasons. And at that point Bayern may be calling him 'home'.

Julian Nagelsmann is a talented coach, but is he really the man that should be tasked with a massive rebuild in a country he's never managed in before? It's not like he's Klopp, who won 2 Bundesligas, the German Cup and got to a CL final at Dortmund. He hasn't won enough to justify the reputation to just hand him the keys imo.

The romance of a Poch return belies the reality. The truth is if Poch returns. We would need to clear out twelve of the squad. Because they stopped listening to him and he got lost in his too personalrelationship with them . The smarter thing to do is look to a fresh voice who is a true coach. Hasenhutle, Galiardo, Naggelsmann. Of that lot, I think Naggelsmann should be first choice with the Southampton boss seriously considered. Whatever comes next it is obvious that Jose will not succeed here. How long it takes Levy to see it, determines our time in the wilderness

Julian Nagelsmann is a talented coach, but is he really the man that should be tasked with a massive rebuild in a country he's never managed in before? It's not like he's Klopp, who won 2 Bundesligas, the German Cup and got to a CL final at Dortmund. He hasn't won enough to justify the reputation to just hand him the keys imo.
Not saying it should be Naglesmann but when we make grand gestures, appointing 'proven trophy winners' we mess up, Graham, Santini, Ramos, Mourinho. Our best 3 managers in the last 25 years (Jol, Redknapp, Poch) had 1 FA cup between them.

I think Marco Rose is a good one.

But anyone from an outside league is a gamble. Maybe one we may need take. But I can see Levy being hesitant.

I think we need a summer 2004 moment when we appointed Arnesen, Jol and err Santini as well as huge changes in the squad. We really need to think about the whole structure of the football side so we're not so relient on a manager petforming miracles because they don't roll around very often.

Not saying it should be Naglesmann but when we make grand gestures, appointing 'proven trophy winners' we mess up, Graham, Santini, Ramos, Mourinho. Our best 3 managers in the last 25 years (Jol, Redknapp, Poch) had 1 FA cup between them.

I'm not suggesting a proven trophy winner necessarily, just that we should probably be a lot more skeptical of him than a lot of people seem to be. He's had success in getting to the CL with Hoffenheim and now Leipzig, though Leipzig were already a CL team before he got there, but I am seeing him talked about like he's just going to be the next great manager and the only real feeling on that is just because he's young. I remember when a young Andre Villas-Boas won the Liga NOS, Portuguese Cup and Europa League in one season and got the Chelsea job, and he was way out of his depth. He was out of his depth at Spurs too.

People just assume young managers who are successful when they are young will grow into great managers. All managers will experience success and failure, and just because Nagelsmann hasn't seen a ton of failure yet doesn't mean it isn't coming.

Pochettino would come back. In a heartbeat if he got some reassurances.
Signed in blood...on the head of Levy's first born...during passover...and with witnesses. Fairly certain Poch has had DL assurances before. He'll want them to be a little more ironclad.

Back
Top Bottom