Leicester (H) 19/07 4PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We've won 3 matches on the bounce without having the lions share of possession. That's a fact.
It really was a joke, not a treatise on football dominance in the modern era.

On a serious note, I like to see Spurs play the kind of football that had us muller Milan, Real Madrid and countless lesser teams, the style that the club is renowned for. I don't like to watch us play cat and mouse football where we are the mouse, in our own backyard, I wan't to see us batter teams 3-0, not sneak up behind them and stab them in the back 3 times and run away.

But thats me, it's a preference, not an argument against what we did yesterday. Some people say that the result is all that matters and how it's achieved is irrelevant.

I prefer to watch re-runs of Brazil from the WC in 1970, not Greece in the EC in 2004

"The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."

Senile fool, majority of the forum agree you're the biggest clown on here, we just tolerate you because you're lonely and too old.
Again, coming from you........
I'm not lonely at all, but thanks for caring.
What am I too old for by the way? I'm really interested. You sound like a really fascinating person

It really was a joke, not a treatise on football dominance in the modern era.

On a serious note, I like to see Spurs play the kind of football that had us muller Milan, Real Madrid and countless lesser teams, the style that the club is renowned for. I don't like to watch us play cat and mouse football where we are the mouse, in our own backyard, I wan't to see us batter teams 3-0, not sneak up behind them and stab them in the back 3 times and run away.

But thats me, it's a preference, not an argument against what we did yesterday. Some people say that the result is all that matters and how it's achieved is irrelevant.

I prefer to watch re-runs of Brazil from the WC in 1970, not Greece in the EC in 2004

"The great fallacy is that the game is first and last about winning. It is nothing of the kind. The game is about glory, it is about doing things in style and with a flourish, about going out and beating the lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom."
I think an even bigger fallacy right now is that playing well and winning are somehow mutually exclusive. They aren’t, but you wouldn’t know that from the rhetoric on here.

I want to win, but I’ve always said with more pragmatic managers that when they don’t win, they open themselves up to far more criticism than progressive managers as there’s really zero reason for positivity when you lose and play poorly. Jose has to accept that here and the only antidote is continually good results.....

I think an even bigger fallacy right now is that playing well and winning are somehow mutually exclusive. They aren’t, but you wouldn’t know that from the rhetoric on here.

I want to win, but I’ve always said with more pragmatic managers that when they don’t win, they open themselves up to far more criticism than progressive managers as there’s really zero reason for positivity when you lose and play poorly. Jose has to accept that here and the only antidote is continually good results.....

What exactly is a "progressive" manager? define what you mean by that?

Possession football has been the norm for at least 10 years now, so its hardly progressive.

If playing more direct and on the counter works in the possession football meta then who is to say that its not the correct approach.

Everything is cyclical, More direct football will come back into fashion again.

Managers get criticized if they lose, I don't recall anyone on here during Poches tenure ever claiming a defeat was acceptable because we had 65% possession.

What exactly is a "progressive" manager? define what you mean by that?

Possession football has been the norm for at least 10 years now, so its hardly progressive.

If playing more direct and on the counter works in the possession football meta then who is to say that its not the correct approach.

Everything is cyclical, More direct football will come back into fashion again.

Managers get criticized if they lose, I don't recall anyone on here during Poches tenure ever claiming a defeat was acceptable because we had 65% possession.
You can lose and play well, that’s not really in doubt.

We didn't really run through Madrid or City or whatever CL team

We had 34% in the 2nd leg vs City
37% when we beat Madrid 3-1

Our team doesn't have the players to play progressively - that's really it. Winks and Sissoko weren't ever going to go to the Etihad or let Madrid come to WHL and actually outplay them on the ball.

You can lose and play well, that’s not really in doubt.

As we've learned time and time again; that amounts to scant consolation sadly.

Play un-pretty at times and yet win enough games and no-one can take the trophy away.

As we've learned time and time again; that amounts to scant consolation sadly.

Play un-pretty at times and yet win enough games and no-one can take the trophy away.
Absolutely. My point was that if performances are good but results aren’t following, fans will have a degree of patience (see Klopp early years at Liverpool).

If the performances are poor and we’re not picking up results, you get shorter change from those in the terraces.

What???

Of course he should. That is the problem our team has is that it takes so long to get the ball moving forward. Every MF on the team should be moving the ball up the field and creating space for their teammates with passes.

We shouldn't have MFers that need to be sheltered from making any difficult pass by having another player coming back to them and making those passes for them.

And when I say difficult I am not talking about high risk, likely to be intercepted passes I mean difficult in the sense that 100% of other football players and most fans could not make them. Winks so rarely makes any passes that are not so average and do nothing for the team.

Look at City, Chelsea, United, Liverpool there is not a single player on any of those teams that play regularly in the midfield and are so limited passingwise as Winks is. Even there defensive mids are better passers.

If you are telling me that we need to play with a player that is inept in terms of moving the ball up the field then we are shot when it comes to competing for anything. We can't play 10 against 11 and be so shorthanded like that.
Who do we play instead right now who would be better at playing this role. Ndombele who can't run or sissoko who's passing is some of the worst I have seen at this level and who should we buy to replace because hojbjerg isn't a better passer than winks

Who do we play instead right now who would be better at playing this role. Ndombele who can't run or sissoko who's passing is some of the worst I have seen at this level and who should we buy to replace because hojbjerg isn't a better passer than winks

The ultimate fusion of peak-Wanyama & Pirlo of course.... :pocheyes:

I would like to see Skipp play.

Hjobjerg is a much better passer than Winks.

Genuinely feel like punching you in the face for this comment. Delete your account in shame.

Maybe having football to concentrate on is helping him at the moment. And we're not exactly inundated with right wing backs are we, you clown.

How do you know that for any other team he would be taking time off? This is clearly his way of dealing with it, no matter what club he would've been at.

He might not be a very good footballer but the only thing sucking ass at the moment is you.

Don't ever post on this forum again or I'll make you bloody well regret it. Now fuck off.

LOL

I am so worried about you making me regret it I am shaking in my boots.

I know he wouldn't play if on another team because they don't have the bad luck that we do. Also most other teams would have sat his ass on the bench where he belongs.

Unfortunately for you I will keep posting and particularly posting about what a sack of garbage Aurier is. Hopefully there will be only one more game that he will be part of the team and maybe there is a slight chance he doesn't play in that game. But if he does at least the team has shown that it can make up for his absolute useless play.

Back
Top Bottom