Pierre-Emile Højbjerg

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wonder what the thought process behind this signing is. I mean does Jose think, I see something in him and I will coach him to be a better player? Or/ and, I need this guy to get into the champions league next season and win trophies. Or is it I just have little money to spend, so I'll get him because he's cheap and has prem experience and I don't have other options.

Has the shower of useless shit/proper delight to watch old school spurs player signed yet?

Just covering all angles for future forum discussions...
Hahaha, I shall be applying my boilerplate "If-the-manager-wants-you-I'm-100%-in-welcome-to-Spurs" approach while secretly glad I posted the underwhelming YouTube compilation early doors so I can throw in my hat with the cool kids in the Called It First gang after he gets skanked for speed and skill for the third time by Troy Deeney

I wonder what the thought process behind this signing is. I mean does Jose think, I see something in him and I will coach him to be a better player? Or/ and, I need this guy to get into the champions league next season and win trophies. Or is it I just have little money to spend, so I'll get him because he's cheap and has prem experience and I don't have other options.
"What needs to be done? First of all is to be realistic," he said. "I know where the best players in the world are. I can, not here, but if we sit together having a coffee I can give you a shortlist of the best players in the world per position. For some it is easier to do it. For others it is more difficult because that is not realistic so the most important thing is to be realistic."

"Is to analyse the market opportunities, to analyse the clubs that are willing to sell, to analyse the player that is in the end of his contract or the last year of his contract and where the club is ready to try to have some kind of creative deals.

"That is a different profile so I know exactly what we need. I know exactly what I would like and how to be realistic and no problems at all."

Our squad is very unbalanced - we simply need a PL ready player who can play defensive midfield

We need him to be good enough also though. Worthy of a team aiming for CL and trophies.
We have one of the best strikers in the world and a workmanlike back 4, as well as pace in the top half of the pitch. We don’t need an amazing player, just someone who can stop opposition MF crashing through to the defence again and again; if he can get it to the front 4 then even better.

I think you’re overstating the role of DM in Jose’s thinking: his job will be to tackle, protect and move the ball sideways to GLC.

a workmanlike back 4

A very generous assessment of our defence.

Aurier, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Tanganga, Sanchez, Foyth, Dier, Davies, Sessegnon.

I would assess it as "past their best", "slow" "untried, "rash", "suicidal", "jury's out" and "no thanks". The only plus is Lloris regaining his form.

We desperately need that DM, but to refer to our defence as "workmanlike", is breathtaking. Major surgery needed (at least 2/3 incomings).

Trying to convert Gedson to a WB smacks of desperation!

Last edited:
A very generous assessment of our defence.

Aurier, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Tanganga, Sanchez, Foyth, Dier, Davies, Sessegnon.

I would assess it as "past their best", "slow" "untried, "rash", "suicidal", "jury's out" and "no thanks". The only plus is Lloris regaining his form.

We desperately need that DM, but to refer to our defence as "workmanlike", is breathtaking. Major surgery needed (at least 2/3 incomings).

Trying to convert Gedson to a WB smacks of desperation!
Aurier needs an upgrade, I would agree, as he’s not consistent, and maybe a faster LB - but they’re not being used as WBs, so it would seem to be more of a flat 4 so defensive ability is more important. That’s why Sonny, Lucas and GLC do so much tracking back (and hence why N’Dombele can’t get in at the mo).

However, that’s assuming that Jose continues to play as he does: if he wants to move to a more aggressive 433, then WBs would be needed. I’m not sure he does, though - as long as our FBs can get the ball to a pace player then the strategy is working.

I guess we’ll see at the start of the new season what Jose is planning. I’d be surprised if it was massively different, though, with maybe just a couple of upgrades and a designated DM.

Decided to look up the differences between Hojbjerg and Sissoko to see what we are potentially looking at here:

PL StatisticsHojbjergSissoko
Games Played109233
Shots143216
Shot Accuracy28%32%
Big Chances Created434
Assists424
Passes/Match52.5236.04
Crosses88459
Crossing Accuracy32%22%
Tackles240275
Tackle Success66%78%
Blocks3454
Interceptions176158
Clearances126176
Recoveries9221,264
Duels Won6251.061
Duels Lost5911,384

Significant trade offs here in just a general comparison. No doubt significantly better in almost every aspect of defensive duties, but offensively way worse in some key areas offensively.

I mean, just imagine someone who shoots more than Sissoko with even lower shot accuracy. It's not like we would buy him for his scoring proficiency, but still. :pochshock:

I don't see the most important stat to compare to Sissoko's game. Time Spent Pointing. :sonpoint:

Not sure if we should be flattered or not picking us instead of Everton! If city, United or Liverpool we’re the other team instead then we’ll..............
Be fucked, let's face it we only have a run at him because the big boys either don't need or want him.
As a club we know that we play second fiddle to others and it will stay that way.

Be fucked, let's face it we only have a run at him because the big boys either don't need or want him.
As a club we know that we play second fiddle to others and it will stay that way.

So what if the big boys don’t want him?

If the big boys didn’t want Sonny, would you then say we play second fiddle and therefore have to accept an inferior player?

I don’t get the need to have the “big boys” show interest in a player we like to confirm that the player is, in fact, good.

Back
Top Bottom