Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hojbjerg like Wilson and Brooks are bargain basement.We are going back to type buying 3-4 cheap players instead of 1 - 2 good players. If we get these players we will finish mid table. The reason why I think this is we will be getting rid of players who have been playing and competing at the top and replacing players who are competing at the bottom. All the teams we are competing with will be buying top tier players and we will not. Hence why I am dreading next season under a boring self obsessed manager and being linked with bang average players

Oh get over yourself, the last great window we had was in 2015 when we brought in Ali (£5 million) Tripper (£3 million) Alderwield (£10 million) with one minor glamour sigining in Son.

Last summer we spent massive sums on Ndombele and Lo Celso who no doubt fall into your top singing criteria and they did absolutely nothing for us last year.

It is about getting the right players in - status and fee size Is not the key factor here

The name of the game at Spurs next season will be get the ball as soon as possible to Harry Kane or Sonny and hopefully Dele and they will score.
Get rid of our suspect defenders so the other team won't score.
Result is we win games.
Dave Bassett Wimbledon style amazing for £15n/ yr if that is his only style. Just imagine a British manager rocking up at spurs playing that style. He’d been run out of WHL quicker than a kkk member turning up at a bame meeting.

Agreed.

Can't downplay the importance of having a midfielder in front of that back four who is comfortable in receiving the ball, potentially under pressure, turning and moving forward.

This has been missed since Wanyama and Dembele which means our centre backs usually have to pass it out from the back with more risky passes or try and break lines themselves. Which isn't really any of our defenders' game bar perhaps Toby.

One thing I’ve never understood about our current DMs is why they almost always receive the pass from the CB with their backs to the defence. I am not a fan of our DMs turning upfield at that point on the pitch - losing the ball there is a recipe for disaster. I would expect that a better way would be for the DM to be halfway turned upfield to see what the defence is doing and have the opportunity to pass it back to the CBs or GK or make an easier turn upfield.

Today, after the FA Cup final, there will be Atalanta vs Inter. Good game to watch considering our market - Castagne, Skriniar and Brozovic all likely to play.
I have watched a good deal of Castagne since the restart, and I would be relatively happy with him. He switches off occasionally, but I haven't seen him do anything ridiculous yet. He does well in duels, I really like his touch and crisp passing. He doesn't seem to be able to take people on, so I think that is likely to upset people, but I can live with it.

I am watching Brozovic's off-the-ball work here against Napoli, and his lack of intensity is alarming me.

And I appreciate that co-commentators talk a lot of shit, but this guy has just said that Skriniar is not very comfortable in wide areas, and I really don't like the sound of that. Is he slow?

Hojberg is average at passing, especially under pressure, especially under pressure. That's a recipe for disaster. We need someone who can pass as well as play off of the ball. Imagine hojberg turning and having de Bruyne or Firmino or Werner up his arse. It's mildly worrying to think about

Hojbjerg like Wilson and Brooks are bargain basement.We are going back to type buying 3-4 cheap players instead of 1 - 2 good players. If we get these players we will finish mid table. The reason why I think this is we will be getting rid of players who have been playing and competing at the top and replacing players who are competing at the bottom. All the teams we are competing with will be buying top tier players and we will not. Hence why I am dreading next season under a boring self obsessed manager and being linked with bang average players
Remind me how Ndombele worked out? Record signing and all :levyeyes:

I have watched a good deal of Castagne since the restart, and I would be relatively happy with him. He switches off occasionally, but I haven't seen him do anything ridiculous yet. He does well in duels, I really like his touch and crisp passing. He doesn't seem to be able to take people on, so I think that is likely to upset people, but I can live with it.

I am watching Brozovic's off-the-ball work here against Napoli, and his lack of intensity is alarming me.

And I appreciate that co-commentators talk a lot of shit, but this guy has just said that Skriniar is not very comfortable in wide areas, and I really don't like the sound of that. Is he slow?
I don´t think he is slow for a CB, but Sanchez is definitely faster than him. This worries me a bit, considering our CB playing on the right should be fast to cope with the spaces left by our RB.

From what I´ve seen so far, though, Inter supporters really like him and don´t want to see him leaving the club - unlike Southampton supporters in relation to Hojbjerg, for example. However, they all seem to agree that he just had his worst season - under Conte, playing in a back 3, as a RCB. The argument is exactly that he shouldn´t be exposed in wide areas.

He is a quality CB, that´s for sure. Better than what we have at the moment.

Last edited:
You know I cannot bear Hojbjerg's lack of athleticism, but Brozovic is actually worse in this regard, IMO. I am shocked. Video on the way.

Are we factoring in that this was something like his 7th game (and he's played most of all of them) in 30 days - in July (eg hot).

I haven't done a full Hojbjerg v Brozovic trundle assessment, but even if it's close on trundle, he's a fuck of a lot better with a football and more press resistant IMO.

Edit, I also think Brozovic is a better reader (of the game, not literature).

I don´t think he is slow for a CB, but Sanchez is definitely faster than him. This worries me a bit, considering our CB playing on the right should be fast to cope with the spaces left by our RB.

From what I´ve seen so far, though, Inter supporters really like him and don´t want to see him leaving the club - unlike Southampton supporters in relation to Hojbjerg, for example. However, they all seem to agree that he just had his worst season in the club - under Conte, playing in a back 3, as a RCB. The argument is exactly that he shouldn´t be exposed in wide areas.

He is a quality CB, that´s for sure. Better than what we have at the moment.

I've seen him described in this thread as one of the best CBs in the world.... If so, why on earth would Inter want rid of him?

Last edited:
Hojberg is average at passing, especially under pressure, especially under pressure. That's a recipe for disaster. We need someone who can pass as well as play off of the ball. Imagine hojberg turning and having de Bruyne or Firmino or Werner up his arse. It's mildly worrying to think about
Apparently nfombele is pretty good at passing or something

Well we are not prepared to buy those sort of players, you get when you pay for hence the raiding of bargain bins that we are famous for.

“In reality, Milik has always been on the market. At this point, he will be sold to the highest bidder, no discounts will be given to anyone. Otherwise, He will remain at Napoli even without being among the coach’s choices,” he stated.

That rules us out.

I've seen him described in this thread as one of the best CBs in the world.... If so why on earth would Inter want rid of him?
From what I´ve seen, 99% of Inter supporters don´t want to see him leave. But they all agree that Skriniar doesn´t fit Conte´s system - and they blame the manager for that, not the player.

From the club´s perspective, I think they are afraid that Skriniar loses value. About six months ago there were talks about transfers to United or City for around 60-70m.

It´s all pretty much around their CEO, Giuseppe Marotta. He seems to be a big fan of Ndombele and is known for creative deals.

Last edited:

we will be fine, more than fine, if players can do the basics and have good work ethic, the sum of the parts, will be greater than the whole.

First stop PEH, followed by a full back like castagne, then hopefully another midfielder who can play make, allowing us to push up Le Celso, to play as our 10.

Brooks is actually a good player, quick feet, good link up play and has a knack for scoring goals.

Our attacking flanks is fine, possibly a striker / AMC in and dele out. Sess getting a run of games and a number two keeper.

Back
Top Bottom