Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Convenient in that even though you've now been reminded; you refuse to ackowledge it as counter-evidence to your 'golden boy' theory.

Not really as he should have never started the game to begin with. We had two better CB's in Sanchez and Toby.

And wasn't he subbed to bring on Eriksen, that is what the match summary I read said, so seems it was a move to change the formation more than acknowledging that Dier was a sub par CB.

He got a lot of love for his overall performance.... If you'd rather let 2 united players throwing themselves to the ground cloud that then that's up to you. That acclaim continued through the WH game however.

Except it wasn't two Man United players throwing themselves to the ground. The Pogba penalty as soft as it was, was 100% caused by Dier a. letting him get around him and then b. needlessly putting his leg in when he could have left him to run out of space. Again showing his lack of defensive awareness.

The Fernandes dive was rightfully called off but it doesn't change that Dier again stuck his leg in, in a rash manner that often gets called. Good for us that he didn't catch Fernandes that time but again because he is caught out of position he is left with a risk challenge to try and make up for his lack of defensive IQ.

The whole backline was a clown-show that night.....

Sure which is why I would also suggest we should get rid of Davies and Aurier as well. I am not sure everyone was also bad so ignore how bad Dier was is a great defense for him.

It's been no-where near as cut and dried as you wish to make out.... Toby has been shat on for a large amount of this season.... Dav always gets a hard time...... Dier isn't universally considered a the definitively worst CB in the squad.... So yes, it WAS a judgement call.

Toby wasn't great at the start of the season based on the level he was prior to that. He was still better than Dier its just the bar is high for Toby because of what he has shown in the past and low for Dier because he has never been good.

But Sanchez had been playing better for the previous 4 games and had shown that he was comfortable and a good fit with Toby. There was zero reason to change that partnership.

Jose played Bergwijn as #10 twice during the run in and it was a shit move both times (despite you pretending he had no other option when there were 4 other players with notable experience as a creative/CAM).... Will we see Jose persist with this all next season or was he just trying something..?. A so-called bad call?

Bergwijn is a better option at CAM than everyone except GLC so not sure why you are still whining about that.

I doubt we will see Jose do that because he seems to not like Bergwijns ability to create offense and chances. My guess is that Sissoko or Winks would be the choice in that role if GLC is unavailable because they stick to the back passes and "trying hard" that Jose likes.

Not really as he should have never started the game to begin with. We had two better CB's in Sanchez and Toby.

And wasn't he subbed to bring on Eriksen, that is what the match summary I read said, so seems it was a move to change the formation more than acknowledging that Dier was a sub par CB.

Except it wasn't two Man United players throwing themselves to the ground. The Pogba penalty as soft as it was, was 100% caused by Dier a. letting him get around him and then b. needlessly putting his leg in when he could have left him to run out of space. Again showing his lack of defensive awareness.

The Fernandes dive was rightfully called off but it doesn't change that Dier again stuck his leg in, in a rash manner that often gets called. Good for us that he didn't catch Fernandes that time but again because he is caught out of position he is left with a risk challenge to try and make up for his lack of defensive IQ.

Sure which is why I would also suggest we should get rid of Davies and Aurier as well. I am not sure everyone was also bad so ignore how bad Dier was is a great defense for him.

Toby wasn't great at the start of the season based on the level he was prior to that. He was still better than Dier its just the bar is high for Toby because of what he has shown in the past and low for Dier because he has never been good.

But Sanchez had been playing better for the previous 4 games and had shown that he was comfortable and a good fit with Toby. There was zero reason to change that partnership.

Bergwijn is a better option at CAM than everyone except GLC so not sure why you are still whining about that.

I doubt we will see Jose do that because he seems to not like Bergwijns ability to create offense and chances. My guess is that Sissoko or Winks would be the choice in that role if GLC is unavailable because they stick to the back passes and "trying hard" that Jose likes.

I can't see how you say that Berg is a winger and that's it and at the moment he is know where near ready for a starting spot. He is good for 10 minutes then he dies. I have said before we brought Lamela as a cam but hardly ever played him there. Lo Celso is not he is a box to box and so is Tanguy when fit and given a chance. Sissoko,Winks and Dele are not good enough either s a chance creator. Sissoko lacks the ability to pass winks can dribble and tackle that's it. Dele is to greedy and has not had any consistency for seasons. I know i am in the minority but I would play Lamela there for 5-6 games and see what he can do .

He deserves to pay himself well, look at the mess we were in before ENIC took over.

To think he only cares about lining his own pocket and not Tottenham is ridiculous.

Tottenham is run as a proper self sufficient business and to be honest, I’m fine with that.
Why does he deserve to pay himself more than his counterparts? Who's clubs win multiple trophies trophies while we win fuck all

Whatever JMs motivation; it's worthy counter evidence to your theory.

You subsequently wrote masses slating him and other players (no surprise - that's 9/10ths of your output), but whether YOU rate Dier is irrelevant to me.... I'm simply rejecting your 'Dier will play no matter what' musing.

Baseless rubbish....

....And FYI I mention that scenario as it is a perfectly working analogy to strengthen my case.

Last edited:
I would much much prefer your way of doing it, but there’s no way we’ll go out and try to buy a top striker, not while we have Kane.

Wilson is about as good as we’re going to get
But therein lies the problem, I guess.

Because, as fans, we have come to accept that we won't invest, the owners know they can continue to get away with mugging us all off. Just as they did last January.

He deserves to pay himself well, look at the mess we were in before ENIC took over.

To think he only cares about lining his own pocket and not Tottenham is ridiculous.

Tottenham is run as a proper self sufficient business and to be honest, I’m fine with that.
Are you fine with some of the highest ticket prices in world football too ?

Whatever JMs motivation; it's worthy counter evidence to your theory.

You subsequently wrote masses slating him and other players (no surprise - that's 9/10ths of your output), but whether YOU rate Dier is irrelevant to me.... I'm simply rejecting your 'Dier will play no matter what' musing.

Baseless rubbish....

....And FYI I mention that scenario as it is a perfectly working analogy to strengthen my case.

Except my concern is that Jose will continue to start over other players that are better and should be starting, and in your example that is exactly what happened. So your example does not disprove my concern that Dier will be picked to start over better options.

Except my concern is that Jose will continue to start over other players that are better and should be starting, and in your example that is exactly what happened.

If he was hell-bent on playing Dier no matter what, he wouldn't have subbed him off; he'd have scapegoated another player....

And thus we come full circle.

So your example does not disprove my concern that Dier will be picked to start over better options

Your insistence was that he will persist in picking him to the detriment of the team.

I repeat, I have no interest in who YOU think are/aren't better, Mr 'Bergwijn is our best #10'....

I can't see how you say that Berg is a winger and that's it and at the moment he is know where near ready for a starting spot. He is good for 10 minutes then he dies. I have said before we brought Lamela as a cam but hardly ever played him there. Lo Celso is not he is a box to box and so is Tanguy when fit and given a chance. Sissoko,Winks and Dele are not good enough either s a chance creator. Sissoko lacks the ability to pass winks can dribble and tackle that's it. Dele is to greedy and has not had any consistency for seasons. I know i am in the minority but I would play Lamela there for 5-6 games and see what he can do .

i will never understand your obsession with Lamela.

As a number 10 he is a terrible option. On the rare occasions he does decide to pass he has shown himself to be a poor passer of the ball, he is not very good at dribbling past defenders in tight, he is very poor at reading the game offensively and making insightful passes and most of all he is a terrible ball hog. He as a number 10 thinking he can dribble through the whole team ignoring his teammates around him and repeatedly losing the ball is a terrible idea.

GLC, Dele, Kane, Bergwijn and then playing with no 10 are all better options than putting Lamela out there.

Lamela is good at pressing and taking cynical fouls to disrupt the other teams flow. He is terrible with the ball at his feet or going forward for us.

What I never get about people who think there are these hidden gems wasting away on our bench for years is why is it that only they see the supposed brilliance in a player? How come Alidair Gold or Dan Kilpatrick or Ben Peace or some national media member never writes a piece about how Lamela should be a starter? How come no other team has come in and bought Lamela if he is a top 4 PL worthy starter? Do you think Levy has rejected all their offers to keep watching Lamela sit on the bench?

If he was hell-bent on playing Dier no matter what, he wouldn't have subbed him off; he'd have scapegoated another player....

And thus we come full circle.

Your insistence was that he will persist in picking him to the detriment of the team.

I repeat, I have no interest in who YOU think are/aren't better, Mr 'Bergwijn is our best #10'....

Bergwijn is our best 10?? What are you talking about?

Who said he was hell-bent on playing Dier?

I said he will start him over other guys who deserve to play. That is what happened here. So move the goal posts all you want that doesn't change what I said and what my concern is.

The fact that he played Dier over Toby at the start of the break and then replaced Sanchez in the Palace game shows that my concern has merit.

Wait what?

Obviously a load of tosh. I remember Pep bigging him up after he came on that game on the cut up NFL pitch at Wembley, they beat us 1-0 and Lamela missed a late sitter.

I happen to like Winks as a squad player. But just that, a squad player. If you can get 40m for a squad player, you surely have to take it.

Back
Top Bottom