Messi - The greatest player ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ronaldinho is the most skilful player I have seen, the things he could do at pace was unreal, he doesn’t have the football intelligence of Messi (not saying he is dumb) in terms of being ruthlessly clinical but I have never seen a more entertaining player than Ronaldinho and that is no disrespect to fat Ronaldo or Zidane.

If you can’t watch this video and appreciate you don’t love football end of.

I understand what you are saying here but for me Ronaldinho could never be in the argument after the way he rested on his laurels.

Ronaldinho is the most skilful player I have seen, the things he could do at pace was unreal, he doesn’t have the football intelligence of Messi (not saying he is dumb) in terms of being ruthlessly clinical but I have never seen a more entertaining player than Ronaldinho and that is no disrespect to fat Ronaldo or Zidane.

If you can’t watch this video and appreciate you don’t love football end of.

Agree. I mean purely in terms of raw skill I would say Berbatov was marginally better than Kane but in every other area (influence, finishing, intelligence, work rate, engine, drive etc) Kane is better and has done much more for us.

I understand what you are saying here but for me Ronaldinho could never be in the argument after the way he rested on his laurels.

In terms of greatest player I agree but in terms of skill that is natural and I don’t see anyone else with his skill level in my view. It’s like HampshireSpur HampshireSpur point on Berbatov, he was more skilful than Kane although not a better all round player.

on a wider point for me the debate really is between Maradona and Messi, much as I respect Ronaldinho, Zidane, Pele etc it’s those two that are for me the clear two based on all round game.

Last edited:
He's got a super low center of gravity and preternatural understanding of what's going on around him, so he's got the ability to stay on his feet through a tackle and knows when it's to his advantage to do so.

But he also knows when to go down under contact when he's out of options and would be in a good free kick taking position.

Pretty good player.

His first touch and body positioning is near on perfect every time he receives the ball, that's why.

Sometimes he'll even invite a defender on with the way he positions his body just to further embarrass them. He's always in control.

It's what separates him from the rest.

In terms of greatest player I agree but in terms of skill that is natural and I don’t see anyone else with his skill level in my view. It’s like HampshireSpur HampshireSpur point on Berbatov, he was more skilful than Kane although not a better all round player.

You can see guys all over Youtube that can do that stuff in their backyard, but to be able to do it in real games against top-level defending was really something special.

You can see guys all over Youtube that can do that stuff in their backyard, but to be able to do it in real games against top-level defending was really something special.

Yep never seen it before or since at high level, and he did all of it while being a lazy party boy, that’s just pure natural talent.

on a wider point for me the debate really is between Maradona and Messi, much as I respect Ronaldinho, Zidane, Pele etc it’s those two that are for me the clear two based on all round game.

Personally I don't see it as more natural talent it's just a talent that is more unique.

In your opinion, why?

What would make him the best player ever? Having the same amount of World Cups as Stephen Nzonzi?
Just how I feel, Maradona went to Napoli and made them champions. Messi is undoubtedly one of the greats of the game, but I still think that Maradona is better, and Pele as well. Difficult to judge different generations though.

No he was left footed but also used his right.

Amazing how many players are one footed. I think that was Eriksen's big strength, being two footed.

Sonny's quite two-footed as well. One-on-one against a defender at the corner of the box that makes him basically unmarkable, it's the reason he gets a lane to get off his shot where so many other inverted wingers can't, they have to account for his ability to cut the other way and fire off a close-range cross.

Just how I feel, Maradona went to Napoli and made them champions. Messi is undoubtedly one of the greats of the game, but I still think that Maradona is better, and Pele as well. Difficult to judge different generations though.
To me the biggest issue is longevity here - Maradona was incredible and on his day possibly the greatest ever, but the strength of his career was more brief and most of that is down to himself.

Messi has been 1a or 1b in the world for 15 years. That puts him over, in my mind.

For my money, Messi probably is the greatest ever. And its only recently I've come around to that opinion. But the sheer volume of his greatness is hard to contend with.

Back
Top Bottom