Pre-Season 2020

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't be a dick fella, we may have held a training session this morning for all we know (I doubt it as we were away) or a double or triple session yesterday. Why people get so worked up on pre-season games is utterly beyond me) that's win or lose, they literally mean shit on account that you have no idea what the training schedule is and where we are on it.

I will take it that you mumbled up your words.

We need at least 2 or 3 players and within that number there needs to be a real talent.

You kid yourself as much as you like that it will be any different with our current squad, if you are hoping to see us compete with a capital C.

Don't be a dick fella, we may have held a training session this morning for all we know (I doubt it as we were away) or a double or triple session yesterday. Why people get so worked up on pre-season games is utterly beyond me, that's win or lose, they literally mean shit on account that you have no idea what the training schedule is and where we are on it.

We just completed a season where we struggled to create chances, then watched a game against a much lesser talented team and failed to create chances. We also had 3 of our senior players in the squad as 3 of the worst players on the team today.

I don't think we need to live and die with pre-season results but I don't see why we can't make criticisms about the players/team especially when what we are seeing are a lot of the same issue we/they had previously.

I will take it that you mumbled up your words.

We need at least 2 or 3 players and withun that number there needs to be a real talent.

You kid yourself as much as you like that it will be any different with our current squad, if you are hoping to see us compete with a capital C.
Let me spell it out as your struggling to understand: At some point ALL Clubs will have a training session the same morning of a game, and/or double or even triple sessions the day before. It could be that the team we are playing is going in fresh, the point is a pre-season friendly you can't judge anything, they are not level playing fields and this will also be by design too.

Just watch them, that's all you can do, don't take anything from them unless you know with 100% certainty the programme the team (and individual players are on).

Let me spell it out as your struggling to understand: At some point ALL Clubs will have a training session the same morning of a game, and/or double or even triple sessions the day before. It could be that the team we are playing is going in fresh, the point is a pre-season friendly you can't judge anything, they are not level playing fields and this will also be by design too.

Just watch them, that's all you can do, don't take anything from them unless you know with 100% certainty the programme the team (and individual players are on).

Oh bless, like an early Santa.

My thanks.

We just completed a season where we struggled to create chances, then watched a game against a much lesser talented team and failed to create chances. We also had 3 of our senior players in the squad as 3 of the worst players on the team today.

I don't think we need to live and die with pre-season results but I don't see why we can't make criticisms about the players/team especially when what we are seeing are a lot of the same issue we/they had previously.
I doubt you have any knowledge of our training/fitness schedule, if you, of course, have this then could you share with everyone else on the forum?

You think it was a training session that caused Moura to constantly cut into the middle where the opposition and his teammates are all clustered in and waste chances, exactly like he constantly did for the 2 years that he has been here?

Was is a triple training session that had Lamela holding on to the ball too long, ignoring open teammates, thinking he can dribble through the whole team just like he has for the 8 years he has been here?

How many days off of training does Dele need to act as though he gives a fuck because whatever that number is it hasn't been found for the past two years and once again wasn't there today.

What is the proper training regime that will have our team show some ability to create chances against lesser teams, because we couldn't last year and once again couldn't today.

I hope you are right that it was a training scheduling issue and not the same issues we having been dealing with for a year and half but when you constantly see the same issues time after time I am not sure throwing up your hands and saying its just a pre-season game is all that helpful or accurate.

I doubt you have any knowledge of our training/fitness schedule, if you, of course, have this then could you share with everyone else on the forum?

LOL

At think these issues are a because of our training schedule. Must have had a real shit training schedule for the past year and half then that caused all these same issues.

You think it was a training session that caused Moura to constantly cut into the middle where the opposition and his teammates are all clustered in and waste chances, exactly like he constantly did for the 2 years that he has been here?

Was is a triple training session that had Lamela holding on to the ball too long, ignoring open teammates, thinking he can dribble through the whole team just like he has for the 8 years he has been here?

How many days off of training does Dele need to act as though he gives a fuck because whatever that number is it hasn't been found for the past two years and once again wasn't there today.

What is the proper training regime that will have our team show some ability to create chances against lesser teams, because we couldn't last year and once again couldn't today.

I hope you are right that it was a training scheduling issue and not the same issues we having been dealing with for a year and half but when you constantly see the same issues time after time I am not sure throwing up your hands and saying its just a pre-season game is all that helpful or accurate.
:dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol: :dembelelol:

As I said during the game I won't judge most of the players based on today performance. Therefore, I will judge Dele, Lamela, Moura and Aurier as they were starters for uns in a lot of games last season and can't offer almost nothing against the 2nd Watford team. It's really a shame that such stablished players can't deliver anything good in such a low level, depite being a friendly or not, they should show something even without so much effort.

Dele is so far off the player he was when he burst onto the scene 5 years ago. The decline is scary to witness.

Too slow and ponderous in midfield. Imo he is finished as an effective midfielder. His only hope is converting himself into a striker because he can score goals sometimes
I'm told that we should give him time. He will get back to his best. In fact, I've been informed that he is ready for a breakout season and ready to raise his valuation back up to 200M. Facts.

Alastair Gold's thoughts on the players today :

Joe Hart
It was a swerving rocket of a shot from Quina and he was potentially unsighted but no keeper wants to be beaten from distance. Dived the right way for the penalty but couldn't get a hand to Gray's effort. Came off at half-time. 4

Serge Aurier

Got up and down the right but didn't have a target to hit in the box at times and when he did, his quality was lacking. 5

Davinson Sanchez

Stood off Quina and let him hit his rocket from distance. Had a shot on goal himself late in the first half that was saved. Didn't do too much else wrong and got 90 minutes in his legs in his first game back. 6

Cameron Carter-Vickers

Didn't do too much wrong in the first half and made a big tackle late in that period to stop a Watford break through on goal. Was outsprinted though by Gray early in the second half for what could have been a goal but for help from White. 6

Dennis Cirkin

Composed early on in possession when put under pressure, although he was caught up the pitch making a foul as Watford broke to score their opener. Then lost his composure again to give away a penalty for the hosts' second by bringing down Dele-Bashiru with a clumsy challenge. Came off at the break. 4

Harvey White

A tidy and tigerish performance in the centre of the pitch in the anchor role. Kept pace with Gray to make a sliding tackle that not only put off the Watford man right in front of goal but also culminated in him going off injured. Came off in the final 10 minutes but not until after picking out Lamela with a ball that led to the penalty. 7

Tanguy Ndombele

Tidy stuff early on and grew in confidence as the half wore on with some progressive forward passing. However, needed to be doing more to put Spurs on the front foot with his talent. His fitness will be behind others but he needs to show what he can do. Only got the 45 minutes in his first game back. 5

Dele Alli

Struggled to make much of an impact in the first half despite Spurs' possession and his passing was poor for much of the game. Nowhere near the performance against Reading a week ago. 4

Erik Lamela

Showed his usual energy but just didn't have people to pass to as his fellow attacking midfielders' movement was lacking for long periods as was his own quality when they did. Had a shot blocked from six yards early in the second half and then another palmed out by the keeper. He won the penalty that got Spurs back in the game though. 5

Son Heung-min

Captain for the day and he had a chance moments after Watford's opener but the keeper saved. Plenty of willing runs but no service. Fired his penalty home well, sending the keeper the wrong way. Made an incredible 92nd minute run to clear an effort off his own line after Watford broke with Gazzaniga up the pitch for a corner which gained him an extra point. 7

Lucas Moura

Offered very little for Spurs and ran into Watford players when he did get the ball. Set up Lamela for a chance in the second half but like Alli he struggled. 4

Subs

Paulo Gazzaniga

Came on for Hart for the second half. Will say he had an early lob from Quina covered and made a comfortable save later on. Was caught up pitch for a corner in the final seconds and was indebted to Son for clearing Navarro's effort of the line. 5

Juan Foyth

Replaced Cirkin in an unfamiliar left-back role in the second half. Looked composed on the ball and looked to link up play in the Watford half, continuously playing forward passes. Looked solid enough at the back without too much to do. 6

Jack Clarke

The brightest of the half-time subs and he made a good early run down the right, got in between two challenges and played a terrific ball across the goal line, which resulted in a blocked Lamela shot. Faded a little as the half wore on but he showed he can be a threat. 6

Jamie Bowden

Replaced White late on and put in a similarly tidy and battling display. N/A

Alastair Gold's thoughts on the players today :

Joe Hart
It was a swerving rocket of a shot from Quina and he was potentially unsighted but no keeper wants to be beaten from distance. Dived the right way for the penalty but couldn't get a hand to Gray's effort. Came off at half-time. 4

Serge Aurier

Got up and down the right but didn't have a target to hit in the box at times and when he did, his quality was lacking. 5

Davinson Sanchez

Stood off Quina and let him hit his rocket from distance. Had a shot on goal himself late in the first half that was saved. Didn't do too much else wrong and got 90 minutes in his legs in his first game back. 6

Cameron Carter-Vickers

Didn't do too much wrong in the first half and made a big tackle late in that period to stop a Watford break through on goal. Was outsprinted though by Gray early in the second half for what could have been a goal but for help from White. 6

Dennis Cirkin

Composed early on in possession when put under pressure, although he was caught up the pitch making a foul as Watford broke to score their opener. Then lost his composure again to give away a penalty for the hosts' second by bringing down Dele-Bashiru with a clumsy challenge. Came off at the break. 4

Harvey White

A tidy and tigerish performance in the centre of the pitch in the anchor role. Kept pace with Gray to make a sliding tackle that not only put off the Watford man right in front of goal but also culminated in him going off injured. Came off in the final 10 minutes but not until after picking out Lamela with a ball that led to the penalty. 7

Tanguy Ndombele

Tidy stuff early on and grew in confidence as the half wore on with some progressive forward passing. However, needed to be doing more to put Spurs on the front foot with his talent. His fitness will be behind others but he needs to show what he can do. Only got the 45 minutes in his first game back. 5

Dele Alli

Struggled to make much of an impact in the first half despite Spurs' possession and his passing was poor for much of the game. Nowhere near the performance against Reading a week ago. 4

Erik Lamela

Showed his usual energy but just didn't have people to pass to as his fellow attacking midfielders' movement was lacking for long periods as was his own quality when they did. Had a shot blocked from six yards early in the second half and then another palmed out by the keeper. He won the penalty that got Spurs back in the game though. 5

Son Heung-min

Captain for the day and he had a chance moments after Watford's opener but the keeper saved. Plenty of willing runs but no service. Fired his penalty home well, sending the keeper the wrong way. Made an incredible 92nd minute run to clear an effort off his own line after Watford broke with Gazzaniga up the pitch for a corner which gained him an extra point. 7

Lucas Moura

Offered very little for Spurs and ran into Watford players when he did get the ball. Set up Lamela for a chance in the second half but like Alli he struggled. 4

Subs

Paulo Gazzaniga

Came on for Hart for the second half. Will say he had an early lob from Quina covered and made a comfortable save later on. Was caught up pitch for a corner in the final seconds and was indebted to Son for clearing Navarro's effort of the line. 5

Juan Foyth

Replaced Cirkin in an unfamiliar left-back role in the second half. Looked composed on the ball and looked to link up play in the Watford half, continuously playing forward passes. Looked solid enough at the back without too much to do. 6

Jack Clarke

The brightest of the half-time subs and he made a good early run down the right, got in between two challenges and played a terrific ball across the goal line, which resulted in a blocked Lamela shot. Faded a little as the half wore on but he showed he can be a threat. 6

Jamie Bowden

Replaced White late on and put in a similarly tidy and battling display. N/A

Don't agree with those ratings.
I though Foyth was shocking and Lamela was a 7.

Let’s face it, Ndombele is to much of a pussy for this league. You can have all the talent in the world ( ask Bostock ) but when you have no drive, desire or fight, then it’s completely pointless. What you need is a bit of grit for the premier league, which Ndombele has none. This isn’t a reaction to the friendly, he’s been a bag of shit from the get go. Jose can see it. Just cut our losses and sell him. We will make a loss, but we will have funds to get a creative midfielder in

Back
Top Bottom