Carabao Cup Fourth Round - Tottenham Vs Chelsea - Tuesday 29th Sept, 7.45pm.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fair from Jose.

The fixture schedule is a farce and we have to prioritise. The EL group stages is worth way more than this tin pot cup (though I would love to win it)

Ultimately our hand was forced by the fixture schedule.

All the clamouring for a new striker was actually for this very period when he could be useful, if we end up getting one at the close of the window it will still be nice but we will be settling into a normal Thurs/Sun routine which which is fine for a squad of our size.

The lack of a signing up front means it will take a minor miracle for us to go through tomorrow and that is most likely the first silverware opportunity surrendered.

Even with a new striker, the fixture schedule has made it nigh on impossible - and that's with the bye against LO.
Yeah. We can't really moan too much when we think having one striker for 2 years is a good idea.

Grow up, seriously.

We were 14th when Mourinho took over, who had to deal with Kane, Son, Sissoko and Bergwijn all injured at the same time, an unfit Ndombele, Eriksen leaving and being hit by a season halting virus.

This agenda against Mourinho is pathetic. He could win us a trophy or 2 this season and people will still find faults.
and ONLY 5pts OFF 5th!!! (The same distance we are off Leicester TODAY after 3 games).

Just because someone says something that gets you all twitchy over Jose doesn't make it an agenda for fucksake. Go see my post-match Newcastle comments and you will see I don't hold one!! So please stop with the strawman crap.

The fact is we have a fixture congestion. This congestion is unique to Spurs, no other club in the League has it, only us. The reason is that we are playing EL pre-qualification games.

He might win us a trophy this year, then he might not like last year. What has that comment got to due with the fixture congestion?

Grow up, seriously.

We were 14th when Mourinho took over, who had to deal with Kane, Son, Sissoko and Bergwijn all injured at the same time, an unfit Ndombele, Eriksen leaving and being hit by a season halting virus.

This agenda against Mourinho is pathetic. He could win us a trophy or 2 this season and people will still find faults.

Enough with the 14th BS. It was early in the year and we were 3 points off 6th at the time. Lets not act like we were in some desperate hole way bac in 14th like it was the end of the season.

We twice had games against Chelsea to over take them and go into the top 4 and played like dog shit both times. We lost a ton of winnable game after Jose took over as well. The 14th position is the weakest excuse out there. Jose had plenty of time to get us top 4 and didn't. It wasn't Poch's fault, it wasn't some great feat to go from 14th at the time and finish 6th.

Yes or no. Would our fixture congestion be as bad had we qualified for CL?

Yes or No. That fact we are playing pre-qualifying EL games is the reason why we have a fixture congestion that no other Club in the PL has?
In fairness to Jose this time, I think that because of all the problems we had (sad end with Poch, injuries, etc) it was always difficult to get into the top 4. I am happy (not enthusiastic) with what he did, but more importantly, I can feel a shift now. I think we will start to see some good result and some better stuff on the pitch. I feel very good about the transfer window and the way some player is starting showing his potential with Jose (Ndombele, of course)

This year, barring some big signings for other clubs this week, it's reasonable to me to expect a top 4 finish in addition to any possible cup that we will win (of which, the EL is the most important to me), and I am saying this even with all the uncertainty about Son's injury

Yes or no.... In a normal season are the prelims played now? .....Or is that DUE TO COVID?

Yes or no... Is it normal that League cup games are played week after week or so early in the season?

......Maybe we'd be in the CL if Jose didn't inherit a team in 14th place! The fixture list would still be a bitch early doors this season.
Why can't you answer a question put to you?

Yes. The EL pre-qualifiers are always played at the start of a new season, usually just before the domestic season gets underway. This year due to the pandemic they have started at the same time. It should be noted that in non-pandemic seasons they have been TWO legged affairs but this year they a single knock-out games in an effort to reduce the fixture pile-up.

Yes. But it's exactly the same for all the teams. The ONLY difference is us because we are in pre-qualify for EL.

Enough with the 14th BS. It was early in the year and we were 3 points off 6th at the time. Lets not act like we were in some desperate hole way bac in 14th like it was the end of the season.

We twice had games against Chelsea to over take them and go into the top 4 and played like dog shit both times. We lost a ton of winnable game after Jose took over as well. The 14th position is the weakest excuse out there. Jose had plenty of time to get us top 4 and didn't. It wasn't Poch's fault, it wasn't some great feat to go from 14th at the time and finish 6th.
Man city are 13th now. If pep manages to get them to 6th that will be some accomplishment.

Why can't you answer a question put to you?

I answered before yor yes or no style ultimatum.

Yes. The EL pre-qualifiers are always played at the start of a new season, usually just before the domestic season gets underway.

They START before the season does and do NOT overlap with LC games as they are normally played further in the season.

Why not this year? COVID.

This year due to the pandemic they have started at the same time. It should be noted that in non-pandemic seasons they have been TWO legged affairs but this year they a single knock-out games in an effort to reduce the fixture pile-up.

See prev. point about WHEN the games are played.

Yes. But it's exactly the same for all the teams. The ONLY difference is us because we are in pre-qualify for EL.

Take away covid.... We wouldn't be having this conversation. FACT.

Your Jose-boner is getting in the way as usual, G.

I reserve my level-of-giving-a-fuck about this game until we know both starting lineups.

If José is fibbing and fields a surprisingly strong squad to try and catch Chelsea off guard then fair enough I might start to care - but as he pointed out in his press conference this game is easily overshadowed by Thursday when you consider qualifying for the EL group stages makes a £15m difference to the club.

I think the 14th is less an excuse for Mourinho than a justification for sacking Poch.

Everybody knew the team was performing well below any reasonable expectation and had been for almost a full calendar year at that point.

I think scrounging around top 4 and making a decent fist of the cups would be the expectation waterline, which Jose is just about maintaining thusfar.

That said, investments in the squad have been and may continue to be made. And the aim is silverware.

Getting knocked out of the League Cup while reinforcements arrive would ratchet things up, certainly.

Poch avoided the fixture congestion we are facing now because he qualified us in Champions League!!

Jose finished in 6th last year (our joint lowest in 11 years), but his dog died halfway through the season so I guess it's the dog must also take some of the blame.

"injuries piling up"??? What!? You mean Son?
To be fair, with Poch we were looking to avoid this fixture congestion again but by not even qualifying for any european spot last year. Theres things about Jose to complain about but moving up 8 places in the table is probably not one of them.

Shame we have to wave the white flag but it has to be done.
UEL could be our ticket back to CL football, so we have to make sure we're in it and we cannot go to OT tired or weak.

This fixture congestion is an unfair ask on our players bodies. No surprise Son is injured.

In fairness to Jose this time, I think that because of all the problems we had (sad end with Poch, injuries, etc) it was always difficult to get into the top 4. I am happy (not enthusiastic) with what he did, but more importantly, I can feel a shift now. I think we will start to see some good result and some better stuff on the pitch. I feel very good about the transfer window and the way some player is starting showing his potential with Jose (Ndombele, of course)

This year, barring some big signings for other clubs this week, it's reasonable to me to expect a top 4 finish in addition to any possible cup that we will win (of which, the EL is the most important to me), and I am saying this even with all the uncertainty about Son's injury
I was encouraged with our performance (obviously not the result) against Newcastle. I've been encouraged with a couple of other games last year (Burnley, Woolwich and first 5mins aside Liverpool) but they would appear to be just isolated performances. So, until I see any signs of consistency in our level then I can't get on the enthusiastic bus yet. We are still so random it's frightening.

Last year he had the chance of finishing in top 4, not down to us being that good but down to Chavs being shite and we blew it in a 6 pointer against them.

He simply has to deliver something this season, I never judge a Manager on Trophies but there are thousands who do and are backing Jose to do just that from the day he signed, so they eagerly await this. Looks like he's going to chuck in the League Cup (unless it's a spectacular bluff to fat Frank) without even playing a single game in it this year. Which only leaves the EL which we haven't even qualified for yet and the FA Cup which he's won once in his entire career 15yrs ago.

I judge our manager on how we play, whether it's attractive to watch and as a consequence whether that puts us in good stead for a trophy but the biggest determining factor is where we end up in the league, put simply the higher we finish the better we are.

His comments today lay bare what we already know, it's about top 4. It's about qualifying for CL as this will bank us big wedge, it's even more important for us because commercially we aren't as big as those around us (traditional big 6).

I think our business has been OK but all that counts for nothing if we don't have them playing well.

Last edited:
To be fair, with Poch we were looking to avoid this fixture congestion again but by not even qualifying for any european spot last year. Theres things about Jose to complain about but moving up 8 places in the table is probably not one of them.
We were 5 points off 5th place when he took over, the same distance we are behind Leicester after 3 games this season.

So, if you think 5 points is a small amount then you can see us overhauling them easily this season. If you think 5 points is massive then perhaps we've already blown this season.

Just put a weak side out and tell our lads to spend the whole game trying to flick the ball up at Chav arms in their box.

Easy win.

:mourcheeks:

Something else about this: I really hope we don't see whining from the eternal #Joséout brigade on social media if/when we have to field a soft team in this one. It's a world apart from going out to Colchester this time last year given our fixture predicament.
Of course we will mate. 90% of football fans know the square root of fuck all about football and are as fickle as the media.

No doubt some utter bellends will be calling for Jose to get the sack after Tuesday.

I answered before yor yes or no style ultimatum.

They START before the season does and do NOT overlap with LC games as they are normally played further in the season.

Why not this year? COVID.

See prev. point about WHEN the games are played.

Take away covid.... We wouldn't be having this conversation. FACT.

Your Jose-boner is getting in the way as usual, G.
I can not see where you have answered my questions with a Yes or No. You waffled on about some other points. If you have please link me and I apologise for not seeing noticing (I answered your questions first time of asking and did so straight with your required Yes or No).

This congestion is unique to Spurs because only Spurs are trying to pre-qualify for the EL.

I can not see where you have answered my questions with a Yes or No. You waffled on about some other points. If you have please link me and I apologise for not seeing noticing (I answered your questions first time of asking and did so straight with your required Yes or No).

This congestion is unique to Spurs because only Spurs are trying to pre-qualify for the EL.

(You only consider it waffle because you don't wanna hear what's being said....)

Ok...... NO.

I don't attribute the congestion to our EL commitments. Isn't that perfectly clear already?

I attribute it to the C19 clusterfuck that means in ordinary circumstances our EL games clashing with LC game-weeks wouldn't happen and we wouldn't be facing the prospect of fielding a weakened team.

We're only bickering here because you said Poch deserved some sense of apology cos this is the same as him not giving a shit about the domestics (remember?)... Which is just false equivalence on your part.

Lets get real... You'd still be bitching about Jose and making unfavorable comparisons to Poch if we had bagged top-4.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom