Carabao Cup Fourth Round - Tottenham Vs Chelsea - Tuesday 29th Sept, 7.45pm.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Maccabi is a joke. We should beat them easily. I don't wanna hear this bs it's more important than cup game against Chelsea.

Really
Making the Europa League group stage is much more lucrative financially, therefore impacting our transfer business and wage budget much greater and thus the ultimate goal of winning the league, than even winning the cartoon cup.

Heart says beating Chelsea matters way more. But if we beat Chelsea, lose to Maccabi, and have to sell Kane or Son next summer because of it or have our transfer budget reduced by £30M, then advancing to the 5th round of the cartoon cup is gonna be some cold solace.

If it is to be a white flag, then I really do hope it is a team of 2nd string players, don't field a single 1st 11 or 13 choice player and let everyone know about it.. Pressure will be right off and who knows, could get a result. Cannot risk any sort of injury, let alone extra fatigue.

I would prefer a Thursday and Sunday win against Man Ure, without any doubt at all.

If it is to be a white flag, then I really do hope it is a team of 2nd string players, don't field a single 1st 11 or 13 choice player and let everyone know about it.. Pressure will be right off and who knows, could get a result. Cannot risk any sort of injury, let alone extra fatigue.

I would prefer a Thursday and Sunday win against Man Ure, without any doubt at all.
Sad we have to sacrifice a potential trophy, but needs must.

(You only consider it waffle because you don't wanna hear what's being said....)

Ok...... NO.

I don't attribute the congestion to our EL commitments. Isn't that perfectly clear already?

I attribute it to the C19 clusterfuck that means in ordinary circumstances our EL games clashing with LC game-weeks wouldn't happen and we wouldn't be facing the prospect of fielding a weakened team.

We're only bickering here because you said Poch deserved some sense of apology cos this is the same as him not giving a shit about the domestics (remember?)... Which is just false equivalence on your part.

Lets get real... You'd still be bitching about Jose and making unfavorable comparisons to Poch if we had bagged top-4.
We HAVEN'T played a single League Cup game this season!!! We got a bye.

I was VERY complimentary about how we played on Sunday. Must have written something along those lines about 5 times now.

The fact remains had Poch come out and said what Jose has today he would have been slaughtered. He was routinely slaughtered and never, ever said he would throw a game. He had the balls to say that CL and PL were the objectives he was aiming for and these were the priorities of his Spurs. He NEVER mentioned throwing a game, in fact he got us to a Final and a Semi-Final of said competition Jose is throwing. (He might be just fucking with fat Frank and bluffing him into him playing his kids whilst he plays the bulk of our first team, I don't have a crystal ball).

It really is as simple as that. Will those who slaughtered Poch stand up and be counted and slaughter Jose? I see nothing wrong in saying this.

BTW I'm not slaughtering Jose on this, I agree with him, just as I agreed with Poch.

Spoiler alert! This weeks result.

We knock Chelsea out with a last minute goal from lucas. :tobyarm:
We beat macca bingo 3-0 with debut goals from the deeney man & bentekers. OG too. :freundgoal:

Sadly we lose 3-1 to United. Kane gets us back in it after a rashford brace, only for Greenwood to kill the game off. :dawsonmean:

I was encouraged with our performance (obviously not the result) against Newcastle. I've been encouraged with a couple of other games last year (Burnley, Woolwich and first 5mins aside Liverpool) but they would appear to be just isolated performances. So, until I see any signs of consistency in our level then I can't get on the enthusiastic bus yet. We are still so random it's frightening.

Last year he had the chance of finishing in top 4, not down to us being that good but down to Chavs being shite and we blew it in a 6 pointer against them.

He simply has to deliver something this season, I never judge a Manager on Trophies but there are thousands who do and are backing Jose to do just that from the day he signed, so they eagerly await this. Looks like he's going to chuck in the League Cup (unless it's a spectacular bluff to fat Frank) with even playing a single game in it this year. Which only leaves the EL which we haven't even qualified for yet and the FA Cup which he's won once in his entire career 15yrs ago.

I judge our manager on how we play, whether it's attractive to watch and as a consequence whether that puts us in good stead for a trophy but the biggest determining factor is where we end up in the league, put simply the higher we finish the better we are.

His comments today lay bare what we already know, it's about top 4. It's about qualifying for CL as this will bank us big wedge, it's even more important for us because commercially we aren't as big as those around us (traditional big 6).

I think our business has been OK but all that counts for nothing if we don't have them playing well.

I agree with several things you said, and my optimism for the moment is based more on gut feeling than rationality

Last year was very patchy. Some very good performance (in relation to our situation), but also many set backs and too many games whose result was depending on the accuracy of the opponents' striker than on us. I haven't watched the Chavs away game, but in the one at home they absolutely owned us and that started making me feel that we were not top 4 material

I (like to) think that yesterday's game was an indication that things are shifting. I saw more cohesion, more pressing, more ruthlessness, but even before that I am starting feeling optimistic about our players gradually reaching their best, both the new ones and some critical case like Ndombele (I feel so happy for that!)

I am not obsessed by trophies either and I think there is a big difference between one trophy and another. Sadly, the two domestic cups are not the best indicator of how good we are (as much as I would love winning the FA cup, the most fascinating competition in the world).
However, winning trophies is a good step forward towards establishing ourselves as a top club (which we will become in this decade, I am pretty sure about that)

Ultimately, the biggest indicator of how good we are is our finishing position in the EPL. Winning the Europa League would be pretty fucking good too, as in the final stage there are some top quality club playing. If we miss on the top 4, I would say that our season could be acceptable, but not impressive. If we win the EL and we end up in the top 4 , it would be very good to me

Would I be happy seeing shit football and winning some trophy? The answers are:
- It depends on the trophy
- Not for ever. It would be a good and needed progress (also it would remove some anxiety that somehow is lingering around our club) but ultimately what I remember more than anything is the feeling of the whole season, how much I look forward to each game and how I feel during and after each game. I feel that we will start seeing some good stuff more and more, also because of the quality that Reggie and Bale will bring. The way we played yesterday makes me feel optimistic

I don't think I will remember Mou for the flare of our football, but I think we can get one step further with him. We can, I am not saying we will. Let's see where we will be at the end of next season

In general I find that too many people unconsciously think that playing ugly and winning ugly is the same thing. It's not. Winning ugly is about attitude and taking your chances, regardless of the tactics and the flare. Playing ugly and winning some games because the opponents failed to score more goals than we do can create a lot of illusions in some people
The second misconception is that if you play attractive football you don't win. I have seen some pretty good stuff in the last few years from the dippers and City, or from any CL quarter finalist and I wouldn't exactly call it unattractive football!
I think with Mou we could get to some acceptable level of attractiveness, and in some game we have seen it already

I would feel livid if lose tomorrow, but I will have to accept that, and I am glad that Mou is making the right priorities

Time will tell

Making the Europa League group stage is much more lucrative financially, therefore impacting our transfer business and wage budget much greater and thus the ultimate goal of winning the league, than even winning the cartoon cup.

Heart says beating Chelsea matters way more. But if we beat Chelsea, lose to Maccabi, and have to sell Kane or Son next summer because of it or have our transfer budget reduced by £30M, then advancing to the 5th round of the cartoon cup is gonna be some cold solace.
If we lose to Maccabi with half of our team, it's gonna be embarrassing. I don't think people realise how massive gap is there. We should easily win with rotation team.

Losing to Chelsea can't be good.

If we lose to Maccabi with half of our team, it's gonna be embarrassing. I don't think people realise how massive gap is there. We should easily win with rotation team.

Losing to Chelsea can't be good.
Losing to Chelsea in the LC will be completely forgotten if we beat them in the league, which actually matters.

We make more money from preseason activities like the ICC than we would from winning the LC. Its very literally a non-entity.

If we were talking about an FA Cup match there may be a debate...but the LC? Fuck no - last priority at all times.

We HAVEN'T played a single League Cup game this season!!! We got a bye.

Eh? We're facing the prospect of a 3 game week this week; as we did last week... The buy was a bonus; dunno what you pointing that out is meant to establish.....

I was VERY complimentary about how we played on Sunday. Must have written something along those lines about 5 times now.

Eh? I never mentioned Newcastle or performances, so save your exasperation on that front.... It's not warranted.

BTW I'm not slaughtering Jose on this, I agree with him, just as I agreed with Poch.

You may agree with both, but the fact remains; it's false equivalence on your part...

Poch: Matter of philosophy.... "Domestics are for egos."
Jose: Wants it all, but reluctantly conceding to circumstance.

The 'apologies' you deemed appropriate, in fact aren't.

I've said everything there is for me to say..... I'm done.

Back
Top Bottom