Other matches Fred - 2020/21

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think he should park the bus, he didn't really do much better at all than Hughton, just like he didn't do any better than the guy before him or after him at Swansea. Its not only about goals and results I have seen them play and they are not impressive. Take today for instance they did not look threatening at all.

XG is a pretty useless stat so for them to be up there and getting zero results shows more about how useless the stat is versus them actually being good.

He isn't parking a bus. But he did do better than Hughton. Simple fact.

The reason X/g isn't a useless stat is because it delves a bit deeper than "result" and provides a quantitive and qualitative metric, where as you seem to be entirely basing your assessment of Potter's coaching on "results" without actually factoring in lots off other factors that effect their ability to get results.

He does very little defensively not sure where you are getting that from. They certainly do not look impressive in that regard.

Why do you think I posted their XGA ? to support the opinion that his coaching methods have them actually not conceding many quality chances. With a relatively new PL team, with small budget, who aren't just parking busses, that is actually quite impressive "in that regard".

I think Potter as Brighton manger finishing bottom 5 year after year is fine, That is his level that is what his poor tactics and managing get you. The issue I have is the talk about Brighton and Potter being anything more than relegation battle level team/manager.

People keep overrating both because they throw the term progressive out there and for many just using the term means that you are doing something better regardless of what is actually the case.

What poor tactics ? Again, back up what you mean. What is he doing , not doing as a coach? You say you don't think he should be parking a bus, well he isn't, so what is he doing wrong that you think he's so shit?

What I am seeing is a coach who's team are trying to play a proactive (seeing as you don;'t like progressive) brand of football, ie making something happen rather than just concentrating on preventing the other team from scoring, have top 6/7 creative metrics and top 6/7 defensive metrics, that's evidence of something being coached at least to me, what his individual players are doing and good luck/bad luck is fuck all to do with his coaching.

What are people overrating? No one is claiming he's a genius or the next Guardiola. Some of us are just impressed with a young coach trying something other than to fucking bus park shit kick their way to 17th, and as I've said, and tried to back up with some metrics, he's also not just throwing caution to the wind or being naive defensively - a la Norwich last year or Fulham.

He isn't parking a bus. But he did do better than Hughton. Simple fact.

The reason X/g isn't a useless stat is because it delves a bit deeper than "result" and provides a quantitive and qualitative metric, where as you seem to be entirely basing your assessment of Potter's coaching on "results" without actually factoring in lots off other factors that effect their ability to get results.

Why do you think I posted their XGA ? to support the opinion that his coaching methods have them actually not conceding many quality chances. With a relatively new PL team, with small budget, who aren't just parking busses, that is actually quite impressive "in that regard".

What poor tactics ? Again, back up what you mean. What is he doing , not doing as a coach? You say you don't think he should be parking a bus, well he isn't, so what is he doing wrong that you think he's so shit?

What I am seeing is a coach who's team are trying to play a proactive (seeing as you don;'t like progressive) brand of football, ie making something happen rather than just concentrating on preventing the other team from scoring, have top 6/7 creative metrics and top 6/7 defensive metrics, that's evidence of something being coached at least to me, what his individual players are doing and good luck/bad luck is fuck all to do with his coaching.

What are people overrating? No one is claiming he's a genius or the next Guardiola. Some of us are just impressed with a young coach trying something other than to fucking bus park shit kick their way to 17th, and as I've said, and tried to back up with some metrics, he's also not just throwing caution to the wind or being naive defensively - a la Norwich last year or Fulham.

Sorry I don't seem to be able to multi quote anymore so hopefully this makes some sense in a block response.

I will start from the bottom as I think that may show some of my overall points. I don't think Potter is bad or that he should adopt parking the bus, I do not think he is much, if any, upgrade over Hughton just like he wasn't an upgrade over the guy he replaced at Swansea. I think he is perfectly suited to manage a team like Brighton to a 15th-18th finish.

Where I see him being overrated is when I see people saying he should be in consideration for a job like ours or other bigger jobs. To me he has shown no indication that he should be anywhere near that level. Also, like today people saying they deserve better in this game when they weren't any more impressive than Palace.

I am not sure why posting useless XGA is helpful in pointing out what is clear on the field in that they are a team that gives up chances.

And its not so much that I don't like the idea of a progressive coach or the term, what I don't like is saying that someone like Potter is progressive and that automatically being considered good. For me he may be progressive but if it results in nothing on the field than who cares.

I am not advocating for him being fired from Brighton, and if the overrating of him and that team would stop I would be fine with them staying up but it is tiresome listening to people talk about him and BA as though they are some impressive group and not the relegation, bottom 5 team that they are.

Sorry I don't seem to be able to multi quote anymore so hopefully this makes some sense in a block response.

I will start from the bottom as I think that may show some of my overall points. I don't think Potter is bad or that he should adopt parking the bus, I do not think he is much, if any, upgrade over Hughton just like he wasn't an upgrade over the guy he replaced at Swansea. I think he is perfectly suited to manage a team like Brighton to a 15th-18th finish.

Where I see him being overrated is when I see people saying he should be in consideration for a job like ours or other bigger jobs. To me he has shown no indication that he should be anywhere near that level. Also, like today people saying they deserve better in this game when they weren't any more impressive than Palace.

I am not sure why posting useless XGA is helpful in pointing out what is clear on the field in that they are a team that gives up chances.

And its not so much that I don't like the idea of a progressive coach or the term, what I don't like is saying that someone like Potter is progressive and that automatically being considered good. For me he may be progressive but if it results in nothing on the field than who cares.

I am not advocating for him being fired from Brighton, and if the overrating of him and that team would stop I would be fine with them staying up but it is tiresome listening to people talk about him and BA as though they are some impressive group and not the relegation, bottom 5 team that they are.

I guess if all you judge football by is results then it's pointless talking about anything other than results with you.

Good away point from behind for Brighton today.

I guess if all you judge football by is results then it's pointless talking about anything other than results with you.

Good away point from behind for Brighton today.

Not all results but when you get the same mediocre to poor results all the time then I think it is telling. Results are also kind of important so I don't think they should be ignored.

With Potter it isn't like watching Brighton tells a different story than meh either.

Not all results but when you get the same mediocre to poor results all the time then I think it is telling. Results are also kind of important so I don't think they should be ignored.

With Potter it isn't like watching Brighton tells a different story than meh either.
Might discuss this with you tomorrow, but just wanna say that I think he is overhyped.

Foreign coach doing this, and nobody bats an eyelid.

And by the way, I take a firm interest in xG.

I have seen their games against Utd, Newcastle and Everton. I saw a lot of terrible defending (including set-pieces, IIRC), hideous defensive transitions and a lot of huffing and puffing when in possession. There are questions about his tactics/tinkering and, if I am not mistaken, his in-game management.

Might discuss this with you tomorrow, but just wanna say that I think he is overhyped.

Foreign coach doing this, and nobody bats an eyelid.

And by the way, I take a firm interest in xG.

I have seen their games against Utd, Newcastle and Everton. I saw a lot of terrible defending (including set-pieces, IIRC), hideous defensive transitions and a lot of huffing and puffing when in possession. There are questions about his tactics/tinkering and, if I am not mistaken, his in-game management.

To be fair, you could be talking about Guardiola, Klopp, Mourinho or most other managers in the PL this season so far, as well as Potter.

I've seen some of the above in all of Brighton's games (and everyone else's), but I expect that to a degree with a team of their situation and resources, how many teams you seen looking slick this year so far?

As well as posting some pretty decent XG/XGA metrics, they are allowing fewer shots per game (7) than anyone in the PL so far (and take the third highest). That's quite interesting for a team who aren't just parking or playing "Wolves" type low risk football. From what I have seen this season, I think he's coaching something tangibly visible, how well or for how long remains to be seen, but he's got a squad that's pretty bereft of individual quality to guild those methods, I also think they've been a bit unlucky.

People are always saying we were mad not to sign Tielemans. But the guy is fat and basically cannot run. Could have been one reason we didn't.

Yep, Grealish was the one that got away IMO, Tielemans has a nice pass on him but you need more, far happier we got Lo Celso and Ndombele.

To be fair, you could be talking about Guardiola, Klopp, Mourinho or most other managers in the PL this season so far, as well as Potter.

I've seen some of the above in all of Brighton's games (and everyone else's), but I expect that to a degree with a team of their situation and resources, how many teams you seen looking slick this year so far?

As well as posting some pretty decent XG/XGA metrics, they are allowing fewer shots per game (7) than anyone in the PL so far (and take the third highest). That's quite interesting for a team who aren't just parking or playing "Wolves" type low risk football. From what I have seen this season, I think he's coaching something tangibly visible, how well or for how long remains to be seen, but he's got a squad that's pretty bereft of individual quality to guild those methods, I also think they've been a bit unlucky.
I've seen their game against Palace now. Too slow in possession in the first half. Much improved in the second half, where I saw several good moves, if not always the final ball. Notes of caution: overreliant on Lamptey's X-Factor and some really slack movement in the final third/players getting in each other's way. Defensively, they had very little to deal with against a rancid Palace outfit.

Back
Top Bottom