European Premier League Talks In Progress

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Football is becoming less about the game and all about the money! I wish i want so addicted to Spurs as the greed in the game currently sickens me! There are clubs in the lower tiers who might not have enough in the bank till last until the new year and we think its a good time to announce putting over £4 billion into a new super football league so the owners can make more money?

Another step towards an NFL format with no promotion/relegation.

Why is FIFA getting involved? Surely this is a UEFA matter only?
FIFA get no money out of the big UEFA competitions. And see this as their way of adding to their own coffers.

FIFA's business model right now is based on one event every 4 years. They are desperate for more cash in.

Just breaking on Sky Sports News that Man Utd and Liverpool are currently in talks with FIFA about the formation of a European Premier League. Cost approx £4.6 billion

Juve and Milan have been trying for years... Fuck them off

It was always inevitable.

I maintain the hope I always have that we get left out. Fuck making up the numbers so that Madrid and a bunch of petrol clubs can spend freely and have someone to play.

There is no intention of any club leaving it's domestic league, these games will additional.

According to people close to the latest plans, the European Premier League would not be a breakaway in the sense of ending clubs' involvement in their domestic leagues.
only 5 english teams involved..the other 15 would have the voting power to threaten too kick them out...

not that they would, cos without that 5 Sky would drop 90% of the money off the TV deals

For once, I don’t mind people like Carragher using his position in the media to slate things like these. I bet every comment in that thread is in agreement on the whole.
yeah, but I would question if thats actually his opinion, or Sky TV being worried that companies like Amazon, that can blow them out of the water, end up with the TV rights

Kevin Miles, chief executive of the Football Supporters' Association, said the idea of a European Super League shows that billionaire owners of clubs "are out of control".

"The latest reports of plots, allegedly involving Manchester United and Liverpool, to create a European Super League, expose the myth that billionaire owners care about the English football pyramid, or indeed anything other than their own greed," said Miles.

"This has to be the last nail in the coffin of the idea that football can be relied upon to regulate itself."

Love this quote :

La Liga president Javier Tebas said: "The authors of that idea - if they really exist, because there is nobody actually defending it - not only show a total ignorance of the organisation and customs of European and world football, but also a serious ignorance of the audiovisual rights markets.

"A project of this type will mean serious economic damage to the organisers themselves and to those entities that finance it, if they exist, because they´re never official. These underground projects only look good when drafted at a bar at five in the morning"

Must admit that my friends and I have also had some brilliant fucking business ideas in exactly the same scenario. Trouble is they don't seem that viable after some sleep and paracetamol.

only 5 english teams involved..the other 15 would have the voting power to threaten too kick them out...

not that they would, cos without that 5 Sky would drop 90% of the money off the TV deals
All about leverage though, isn't it? If the Euro league weren't a full time week in week out thing, and United and Liverpool get bounced from the PL, they lose the Sky money too. Are they going to create a 5 team league where they play the other teams in the league 9 times a season? How much will Sky pay for that shit.

Same reason we might would get invited - you can't make a league out of Madrid, Barca, Bayern, United, and Liverpool alone. No matter how much those cunts wish they could.

So with United and the dippers that is 6 then ... ?
Six teams mentioned with only 5 spots up for grabs. No confirmation or denial of this proposal from anyone allegedly involved. There's definitely something that smells past it's sell by date regarding all of this though.
Champions League set up comes under review in 2024 so this could just be the beginnings of stirring the waters and effecting a change.

Six teams mentioned with only 5 spots up for grabs. No confirmation or denial of this proposal from anyone allegedly involved. There's definitely something that smells past it's sell by date regarding all of this though.
Champions League set up comes under review in 2024 so this could just be the beginnings of stirring the waters and effecting a change.
One more reason to think the story is half baked.

All about leverage though, isn't it? If the Euro league weren't a full time week in week out thing, and United and Liverpool get bounced from the PL, they lose the Sky money too. Are they going to create a 5 team league where they play the other teams in the league 9 times a season? How much will Sky pay for that shit.

Same reason we might would get invited - you can't make a league out of Madrid, Barca, Bayern, United, and Liverpool alone. No matter how much those cunts wish they could.
but you can make a league out of Man U, chelsea, city, dippers, barca, madrid, PSG, Bayern, AC, Juve & Inter. (I would bet this list would be the founder members with their guaranteed places, maybe with Woolwich as well)

all playing each other 4 times a season is 44 games.

or you add Dortmund and RBL, Atletico, Marseille and Monaco. 3 teams each from 5 countries (apparently Liverppols owners dont like city), fuck the Russians and the Portuguese and everyone else in between.

And i feel fairly sure that the shit fight between the likes of Sky, amazon and so on for the rights would make up the shortfall from not getting the domestic cash.

Back
Top Bottom