European Premier League Talks In Progress

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was going to say similar, but didn't want to offend the Americans we have on here.
You are right, it is without a doubt the influence of American sports ownership. To be fair to us American fans though, most of us hate this type of shit too. We just have no power to stop it, there is way, way too much money in American sports for ownership to give a shit about what their fans think. I would LOVE to have a culture closer to the English football culture but it's just not in the cards.

As an example, the baseball team I support was purchased a decade ago by a billionaire family. The family is closely linked with Trump and has used the facilities themselves for Trump fundraising events. They also launched their own TV network in conjunction with a notoriously conservative media company in the U.S. Our stadium is one of the few that is a "neighborhood" stadium where it's built right in a small community; ownership has been systemically buying every building they can in the area and replacing many of the small local businesses that used to exist there with corporate chains.

I hate just about every aspect of it but I am powerless to stop it. Sure, I could stop watching the games but I'm a single drop in a bucket. There are occasionally small protest groups that will spring up in American sports but they are universally ignored by ownership.

Anyway, I did just want to say that I hope this change does not happen and that I think most American fans would agree with me. Really this is just another example of how money and greed can ruin beautiful things.

The next second the ball is kicked in the first match of this competition, I will stop watching football completely. It’s all about the fucking money. Disguisting how these greedy fucks have ruined the game.

It looks like 5 English clubs out of what they refer to as the top 6. The inference is that Spurs would be the most likely to miss out. Now this little snippet is very interesting :

An earlier iteration of the current project was reported by German news outlets to have been drawn up almost exactly two years ago, and featured 11 "founder" teams with a number of "guest" teams.
As part of that blueprint, the founder clubs could not be relegated for 20 years, although the remaining teams would be subject to being replaced depending upon their league position at the end of each season.

So if there can only be 5 UK teams and Spurs are the ones left out then they would not constitute being a 'founder club' and I presume could not be considered for entry until 2042 unless 6 UK teams were allowed in the future. (It is envisaged this league would commence 2022 at the earliest).

Talk about a fucking 'monopoly' and being 'frozen out'. This whole proposal is bordering on obscene.

It is proposed that this league is run in addition to domestic ones. It's commonly referred to as having two bites of the cherry I believe.
And the money from this league would make the money from the CL look like peanuts im assuming? Thus giving those 5 clubs from the PL a huge advantage financially

We leave the PL I'd give up on top tier footy all together. We would stop being Tottenham that a great up watching and just become a franchise that prints money for part time fans.

No thanks will go to watching lower league footy where at least people care

Anyway, I did just want to say that I hope this change does not happen and that I think most American fans would agree with me. Really this is just another example of how money and greed can ruin beautiful things.

I just want to echo this as loudly as possible. I am an American fan who sees the current overlapping structures of the Premier League (with its history, and its cups, and its relegation and promotion structure) and European football (via Champions and Europa League) as so manifestly superior to anything we have over here, I am positively fuming at the prospect of greedy American owners fucking it up. Fuming.

Fuck them. And COYS.

And the money from this league would make the money from the CL look like peanuts im assuming? Thus giving those 5 clubs from the PL a huge advantage financially

It's another way to make sure the aim of project big picture (them always being at the top due to cash) goes through. I would hope the PL has a set of bollocks and says if you wanna make that a closed club then you get kicked out the league

If JP Morgan are in talks about an initial funding of £4.6 billion which would be repaid from profits made via television viewing rights then the amount of money involved in this whole enterprise would be staggering.

This is almost certainly just more posturing to try and get leverage with UEFA and the PL/EFL.

People are saying this is all "American" owner led, but this kind of shit has been going on for a couple of decades with English, Spanish and Italian (and maybe the German's at Munich) owners trying to use the threat of "breakaway" leagues to leverage greater control of their share of domestic and European pies.

Clubs like Liverpool and ManU know they have the biggest potential for revenues in the PL (and amongst the top handful in the world) they are trying to realise more of that potential than the structure currently allows. Hence the "Big Picture" thing last week.

My guess is this is just a play for more power/revenue share/slight change of rules to suit the big players within the current PL/CL systems

Im all for it tbh. I prefer CL than premier league. Globalisation is here and not going away.

As long as its not a closed shop, ie the top 5 PL places qualify for next years Euro premier league. In that way its just an extended CL.

If its by invitation only they can get fucked.

If the did a Euro League 2 and scrapped the Europa league it would be cool.

100% same qith the talks of Rangers & Celtic in the past joining the English game, you have to start right at the bottom.
I’d gladly fuck Utd and Liverpool out of the PL and replace them with Rangers & Celtic for shits and giggles....totally sick of the arrogance of those two clubs to be honest....Utd can’t handle not dominating anymore and Liverpool could never handle being irrelevant since 1990 until last season......

This is almost certainly just more posturing to try and get leverage with UEFA and the PL/EFL.

People are saying this is all "American" owner led, but this kind of shit has been going on for a couple of decades with English, Spanish and Italian (and maybe the German's at Munich) owners trying to use the threat of "breakaway" leagues to leverage greater control of their share of domestic and European pies.

Clubs like Liverpool and ManU know they have the biggest potential for revenues in the PL (and amongst the top handful in the world) they are trying to realise more of that potential than the structure currently allows. Hence the "Big Picture" thing last week.

My guess is this is just a play for more power/revenue share/slight change of rules to suit the big players within the current PL/CL systems

You don't pay JP Morgan a shed load of money to raise 4.6 billion for Sky just to apply a bit of pressure ... this is serious but the revolt from 99.9% of fans will kill it stone dead.

Dippers and Utd fans just as against it as everyone else

Im all for it tbh. I prefer CL than premier league. Globalisation is here and not going away.

As long as its not a closed shop, ie the top 5 PL places qualify for next years Euro premier league. In that way its just an extended CL.

If its by invitation only they can get fucked.

If the did a Euro League 2 and scrapped the Europa league it would be cool.
No relegation for founding members for the first 20 years

I agree with you about the posturing for leverage and also the timing of this seems far too close to the recently rejected 'Big Picture' proposal. Reports suggest The European Premier League has been in the pipeline for two years now.
It's possible that Man Utd and Liverpool had this as their 'banker' and tried the 'Big Picture' one in the vain hope it would go through knowing that should that one hit the bricks they could come storming back with this monstrosity ?.
This is not an announcement by them or FIFA though, it would appear Sky has found them out before they could finalise everything or approach the other top clubs to have them commit contractually to it if it did materialise.
Whatever happens next the proverbial cat is definitely out of the bag. Man Utd and Liverpool will now be hounded by media and football representatives demanding explanations. Continuing to 'decline to comment' will no longer be an option.

Back
Top Bottom