Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I haven’t rewatched it (and don’t want to). Thought the first half was open, but their attacking quality was awful, a better team would have made more of some of their positions. Reguilon drifted infield a lot, leaving his wing exposed (was this planned by Mourinho?)
I believe it is, yes.

He likes Serge to push forward, which means the other 3 defenders shuffle across , making it like a back 3.

I believe it is, yes.

He likes Serge to push forward, which means the other 3 defenders shuffle across , making it like a back 3.

What's interesting is that he put Sergio into that role and now it is Aurier who is hanging back far more. Last season almost everything went down the right with Serge pushed so high up the pitch. At least against the spammers, he was very often the one sitting back in the virtual back three.

Mou said something very true in the press conference today, he was taking about how quick people are to judge the team for blowing a 3-0 lead yet the same team also showed huge character to come back from 1-0 down in the last two away games and win 5-2 and 6-1. People didn’t make so much noise about that.

I get that until we win something we will never be able to shake off the “spursy” reputation but maybe the West Ham game was just a freak thing. Of course it was self inflicted but 99.9% of the time the mistakes we made would not have been punished the way they were. We are the top scorers in the league and we are going in the right direction. Let‘s not get carried away over a bizarre 10 minutes.

Mou said something very true in the press conference today, he was taking about how quick people are to judge the team for blowing a 3-0 lead yet the same team also showed huge character to come back from 1-0 down in the last two away games and win 5-2 and 6-1. People didn’t make so much noise about that.

I get that until we win something we will never be able to shake off the “spursy” reputation but maybe the West Ham game was just a freak thing. Of course it was self inflicted but 99.9% of the time the mistakes we made would not have been punished the way they were. We are the top scorers in the league and we are going in the right direction. Let‘s not get carried away over a bizarre 10 minutes.
I think he has certainly addressed the shit that happened in the right way in the dressing room. I don't think he gave the players the hairdryer treatment; I think he praised a lot of the good thing they did.
In this moment it's important to build up on self belief, and him going Charles Manson wouldn't have helped much

After beating ManU 6-1 there were people calling us title contenders (I might be mistaken but I think someone even started a thread) lets not pretend there was no "noise" after that game, there was plenty.

Coming back from a goal down is not quite as monumental as losing a 3 goal lead in the last 10 minutes of a game is monumentally shit (In fact I think I read it had never happened in PL history) so not really comparable and plenty of people gave us due praise for the Utd and Southampton games.

Losing a three goal lead with 10 minutes to go at home to fucking West Ham is right up there with the wankiest things I've seen (and I was there the night 10 man ManC came back to beat us 4-3 and ManU came back from 3-0 to beat us 3-5).

It was shit, fucking shit, diabolically shit. And we were pretty bad for the last hour of that game as well. Lets just call it what it was instead of putting lipstick and a tutu on it and calling it something it wasn't.

Yeah, people didn't call Chelsea Chelsea-y (?? lol) for dropping two points in injury time or looking awful against us in the second half after a great first half. And after all this talk about Man Utd having a losers' mentality and a fractured dressing room after their 6-1 to us, two wins later and they're fine again. I think we (media and fans both) tend to over-read from a small sample size.

That's not to say we shouldn't be working on our set pieces or ability to control midfield, I think West Ham really highlighted those weaknesses, but those are concrete things we can actually work on instead of feeling bad about ourselves. Really doesn't help anyone to think "same old Spurs", gotta keep our heads turned forward.

After beating ManU 6-1 there were people calling us title contenders (I might be mistaken but I think someone even started a thread)
You are not mistaken but the thread simply asks the question ARE WE GOING TO WIN THE LEAGUE THIS YEAR ?
Why it then became the subject of demands for it to be closed down I do not know. The title is not in any way implying or assuming that we will do so but simply asking for the opinions of members regarding our chances. Anyone who disagrees with such a thread just has to ignore it but I cannot see why it offended in any way at all.
It's like starting one called "Are We Going To Win The Europa League This Year ?" or "Are We Going To Finish This Season Top Four ?" no harm whatsoever.

As for the game then yes it truly was unacceptable to concede three goals in the dying minutes and questions must be asked about the substitutions made which clearly affected our control of the play. We became complacent and nervous and ended up with just the one point when it should have been a nailed on three. Let's accept that fact, learn from it and go forward.

The squad is good enough and so is the manager, the players just have to believe that and never doubt it. Hopefully January will allow us to tweak our remaining problem areas but we are no more than two signings maximum from having a side perfectly capable of lifting silverware this season. Top four at Christmas then a little more business in the January window should do it.

Be nice to dump some dead wood as well come the New Year

Last edited:
Expect Mourinho had word with Ledley to sort out the defending at Free Kicks. There was a time last season when i felt comfortable watching us defend Free Kicks and Corners late in a game but not any more. We have had a lot of changes and they need to sort it out.

Hilarious
dog hump GIF

Back
Top Bottom