Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Kane Son Højbjerg Ndombele by their individual competence saves Mourinho from being found out as the dinosaur that he is. We have had a few moments, United, first part of West Ham where it has looked really good. But apart from those moments it's hard to see how Mourinho wants to play, there are no patterns in possession. One minute Ndombele makes a forward pass the next Alderwiereld hoofs it. There is no movement at all in possession, we simply can't break down a defence.

Dont really have a problem with Mourinho making half time subs.
It's something he's done on many occassions throughout his management career and his record speaks for itself.

People used to moan about Poch refusing to make subs - every manager has their approach they think works in getting a result on the day

Yesterday was one of those that for whatever reason there was zero energy and intensity.
Learn from it and move on - if we win on sunday the reaction on here will shift again

Kane Son Højbjerg Ndombele by their individual competence saves Mourinho from being found out as the dinosaur that he is. We have had a few moments, United, first part of West Ham where it has looked really good. But apart from those moments it's hard to see how Mourinho wants to play, there are no patterns in possession. One minute Ndombele makes a forward pass the next Alderwiereld hoofs it. There is no movement at all in possession, we simply can't break down a defence.
And its been a year already, the 'he still needs time' argument no longer works.

He relies on individual brilliance, he cannot build a system like Poch to get the best out of everyone including the average players.

As has been said a million times over any team in world football even peak Barca struggled at times to break down 11 men who are well organised have something to hold onto and are sat behind the ball.

At times the opo had 9 men in the peno area last night or course we was gonna struggle. The issue last night was the "second string" wasted the first half and played with no heart, and didn't look like they gave a fuck. Then the "first string" players had to much to do in 45 minutes against a side who where playing in the biggest game they have had in 10 years and had it all to lose.

It's a wake up call that the second string in still a bit shit, and the final nail in Ali and a couple others coffin IMO at this club. Nothing more

But to start slagging of the manager after one poor game come on....

Atm we are a awful handball call away from being top of the league, have knocked Chelsea out a cup and have been free scoring. No need to start melting

I said this before yesterday and got called a pessimistic despite going on record *whilst high) saying we would finish 2nd and win two cups. I think on occasion this season Jose has come close to getting it, however as you say is this systemic change or just a handful of class players most of whom Pochettino made playing to their potential. The jury for any logical mind has to still be out. Show me the incremental gain Jose the patterns, that dominate opponents and maximise assets. At this point I'll give him Tanguy but he was always going to be fine hes too bloody good a footballer, only the terminally daft didn't see it.

Amen. It's going to get messy once Kane and Son's form tails off.

Crazy over reaction here , we only took 3Ls since March and this is the 3rd and some people already saying "told you so" , Jose's measurements is just too damn high compared to any other manager

I'm not talking about this game...I'm talking generally.

Dier and Davies can do no wrong in Mourinhos eyes. Yes Davies has finally been dropped but he literally couldn't do anything else as Reguillon looked so good.

....Or one could simply interpret it that once we'd signed and broken Reg in, he was inserted into the first XI. As per Burnley, if he thinks Ben is better suited to a specific circumstance then he'll play. I have no problem with that.

Loved Jose's comments tbh, too many passengers in this squad that are stealing a living. Kate and Son must think wtf why am I even bothering when you've got useless dross like Winks, Sanchez and Dele ruining any hard work and improvements we make as a team.

He kept Winks on while taking Locelso and Vinicius off. He cant point fingers at players if he allows the worst players to continue being shit but takes off others who are trying to get us to win.

Not sure about last night.

I suspect Mourinho will be back om the charm offensive today/tomorrow.

We lost with 16 players yesterday. That equates to more than just 3 or 4 easy targets in my opinion.

What is clear is that Mourinho is using the mould of previous successful teams he has managed and comparing not just the quality but also the application of his players.

What it means is that 4 or 5 of this current squad and of course dependent on how long Mourinho stays, will simply not win him over.

That group of players is becoming clearer each week.

Last edited:
I feel he proper panicked last night with those half time changes.
Why couldn't he give the players that played in the first half a chance to get their act together and turn it around along with him tweaking tactics
Embarrassing players after not even giving them a chance to put things right is not good
Damned if you do, damned of you don’t. If he didn’t change, we’d be asking why and vice versa. Reality is the team out there weren’t good enough; nor were the changes. It would have been great to have seen a massive turnaround second half but there was no-one able to lead the charge.

Honestly just don't think Jose will ever be able to win with some fans.

Can almost guarantee that some of the people criticising him for making lots of changes would have also been criticizing him if he'd played most of the same 11 from the weekend. They'd have been saying he's not utilising the whole squad, not giving people a chance, relying on the same players all the time and not rotating/resting enough.

Likewise, the people criticising him for making so many subs early on would have probably been saying he's stubborn and reacting too slow if he'd left it until 60-65 mins like most managers probably would have.

And I even bet the people criticizing him for calling the team out on a poor performance would have been annoyed if he'd tried to brush it off like it wasn't a big deal or say that we were just unlucky.

The reality is he put out a pretty good team still, as shown by the fact he even put Lloris in, and it should have been capable of doing the job. I don't buy that it was a really weak team at all - obviously lots of first choices missing but if we can't use those squad players in group stages of the Europa, when can we?

When it wasn't working, he changed things fast. Second half was better, but still not very good. Just one of those games where it didn't click and nothing was coming off.

He took some of the blame himself but had every right to call people out in my opinion. Not because we should expect the first half players to have pulled off a worldie performance (given some are bound to be a bit rusty) but because some of them didn't look bothered. We know with Jose it's about giving 100% for the team, and it didn't seem like a lot of them did that.

All of that said, I think he got 2 things wrong. Taking off Lo celso and Vinicius. I suspect Lo celso was partially down to him just coming back from injury and wanting him for the Brighton match. I also suspect taking off Vinicius was more about trying to make the second half team more balanced, as not sure we'd have had much of a midfield left otherwise.

So I'm not saying he's totally blameless but if you honestly think that the biggest problem last night was Jose, I think you just don't like our manager.
I don't like him that's not a secret. I desperately want him to be the most successful manager in our history mind. So far I'm giving 5 out of 10.

Damned if you do, damned of you don’t. If he didn’t change, we’d be asking why and vice versa. Reality is the team out there weren’t good enough; nor were the changes. It would have been great to have seen a massive turnaround second half but there was no-one able to lead the charge.
From a fans perspective yeah your right he was going to get criticized either way. I just think the players deserved a bit of time to try to up their game and sort it out themselves
Surely the best thing to do for them would of been some hairdryer treatment and some change in tactics
Will they just be thinking they'll be hauled off if they make a mistake if they get an opportunity And therefore just play really safe

He kept Winks on while taking Locelso and Vinicius off. He cant point fingers at players if he allows the worst players to continue being shit but takes off others who are trying to get us to win.
No point wasting a sub on Winks for Moussa - pretty much like for like. With 45 to go, he wouldn’t play with only 1 conventional MF player so that position would still be in play, even if Winks was dodgy. Lo Celso is too important to be risked returning from injury so had to be withdrawn (and was as anonymous as the rest of the team- PEH was an improvement, imo)- and CV was sacrificed to keep Bale on for his fitness.

It was a tactical muck up from the outset...would have made sense to use the subs to restore as close to the ‘normal’ team as possible - but I get why Jose decided to flood the pitch with aggressive or pacy players. Turns out they weren’t very good, either.

Back
Top Bottom