Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

From a fans perspective yeah your right he was going to get criticized either way. I just think the players deserved a bit of time to try to up their game and sort it out themselves
Surely the best thing to do for them would of been some hairdryer treatment and some change in tactics
Will they just be thinking they'll be hauled off if they make a mistake if they get an opportunity And therefore just play really safe

Which is exactly how we conceded the goal

From a fans perspective yeah your right he was going to get criticized either way. I just think the players deserved a bit of time to try to up their game and sort it out themselves
Surely the best thing to do for them would of been some hairdryer treatment and some change in tactics
Will they just be thinking they'll be hauled off if they make a mistake if they get an opportunity And therefore just play really safe
Did you see anything in the first half that suggested that 11 could pull it out of the bag? They’d already wasted 45 minutes so it would be a big gamble to possibly waste another 15 or 20?
It would have been great to have seen them turn it around, but who had the character to do that?

Honestly just don't think Jose will ever be able to win with some fans.

Can almost guarantee that some of the people criticising him for making lots of changes would have also been criticizing him if he'd played most of the same 11 from the weekend. They'd have been saying he's not utilising the whole squad, not giving people a chance, relying on the same players all the time and not rotating/resting enough.

Likewise, the people criticising him for making so many subs early on would have probably been saying he's stubborn and reacting too slow if he'd left it until 60-65 mins like most managers probably would have.

And I even bet the people criticizing him for calling the team out on a poor performance would have been annoyed if he'd tried to brush it off like it wasn't a big deal or say that we were just unlucky.

The reality is he put out a pretty good team still, as shown by the fact he even put Lloris in, and it should have been capable of doing the job. I don't buy that it was a really weak team at all - obviously lots of first choices missing but if we can't use those squad players in group stages of the Europa, when can we?

When it wasn't working, he changed things fast. Second half was better, but still not very good. Just one of those games where it didn't click and nothing was coming off.

He took some of the blame himself but had every right to call people out in my opinion. Not because we should expect the first half players to have pulled off a worldie performance (given some are bound to be a bit rusty) but because some of them didn't look bothered. We know with Jose it's about giving 100% for the team, and it didn't seem like a lot of them did that.

All of that said, I think he got 2 things wrong. Taking off Lo celso and Vinicius. I suspect Lo celso was partially down to him just coming back from injury and wanting him for the Brighton match. I also suspect taking off Vinicius was more about trying to make the second half team more balanced, as not sure we'd have had much of a midfield left otherwise.

So I'm not saying he's totally blameless but if you honestly think that the biggest problem last night was Jose, I think you just don't like our manager.
This forum really does overrate the words that come out of the managers mouth In press conferences and heavily edited TV shows. Haven’t been here for years like some others but there were debates on Poch’s rhetoric as there now is on Jose’s. I genuinely couldn’t give 2 shits, Ranieri spoke like a deluded drug addict and won the league. What we hear our manager say is pretty irrelevant against the tactics and training he is giving to the team.

I had no real issue with the team selection or his comments afterwards, it’s more about his tactical setup.

We’ve looked good in patches and mediocre in others this season. There’s still a lot of question marks and a lot of work to be done,
I don’t think it’s unfair to say that at this point.....

Did you see anything in the first half that suggested that 11 could pull it out of the bag? They’d already wasted 45 minutes so it would be a big gamble to possibly waste another 15 or 20?
It would have been great to have seen them turn it around, but who had the character to do that?
A gamble agreed but a gamble that he could afford to take with 4 more games to play in the group.
But what is he saying to lo celso now you're just going to be a bit part player?
The players that got taken off watched the players that replaced them not do any better really
I just think it will do more harm then good but that's just my opinion I guess we will see with his line up in the next europa league game

No point wasting a sub on Winks for Moussa - pretty much like for like. With 45 to go, he wouldn’t play with only 1 conventional MF player so that position would still be in play, even if Winks was dodgy. Lo Celso is too important to be risked returning from injury so had to be withdrawn (and was as anonymous as the rest of the team- PEH was an improvement, imo)- and CV was sacrificed to keep Bale on for his fitness.

It was a tactical muck up from the outset...would have made sense to use the subs to restore as close to the ‘normal’ team as possible - but I get why Jose decided to flood the pitch with aggressive or pacy players. Turns out they weren’t very good, either.

If the bolded is true I would have liked to hear Jose say that so it didn't seem like he was lumping them in with the others in terms of his criticism.

Also if Bale was kept on in favor of Vinicius for fitness reasons, that is an awful decision by Jose.

Well he took off the two players that did look like they could pull it out of the bag and left on a number of guys that were the worst players in the first half, seems like a bigger gamble to keep the players that had shown they weren't up for it on and take off the guys that wanted to win off.

A gamble agreed but a gamble that he could afford to take with 4 more games to play in the group.
But what is he saying to lo celso now you're just going to be a bit part player?
The players that got taken off watched the players that replaced them not do any better really
I just think it will do more harm then good but that's just my opinion I guess we will see with his line up in the next europa league game
I’ve assumed that GLC was pulled for injury risk? He only did a few minutes the game before so is being eased back in?

Fair enough, at least you still want him to be successful. It's those that seem to want him to fail to prove a point that surprise me (admittedly that's probably quite a small minority).

Is there something specific that makes you dislike him though, or just a combination of everything?

Because I feel like if he was purely being judged on his time at Tottenham with no preconceptions at all, the consensus would be 'there's some very promising signs but too early to make a decision'. I don't think many people would be rushing to give out 5/10 ratings if things had gone exactly the same but with a different manager, given it's his first full season and we're still in the mix for all 4 competitions.

Are you talking about people on here or Spurs fans in general? I haven't seen anyone on here wanting him to fail to prove a point.

As for his time here last season was pretty underwhelming and this season has been very up and down, with some positives and also some worrying signs as well. I think he has been given a lot more credit than most would have been if they had the same results, and style of play, because he is a supposed "serial winner", so many fans justify his tactics/decisions with the idea that it will lead to us winning.

This is similar rant to what i have read on united forum , but having a manager who take full responsibility , never slate players publicly and have no ego because he has a bad cv, too afraid to be sacked and just feel very grateful to be there , won't bring you anything, United were trophyless since Jose left and will remain like that for awhile. A top manager have to set some level of standard and have to set some level of ambition and they shouldn't allow anything to lower the level. Only a loser said anything is their fault. Those player being paid handsomely because they are also a public figure so they must also be able to handle public criticism, it's not manager job to pamper their ego on public, this isn't kindergarten where a one of the teacher job is to clean all the shite and pamper the children. If you don't like your favorite player being blamed for putting shite performance then that's your problem.
That was a lot more ranty and reactive than anything I posted.

It's not about their public persona or ego, it's about getting the best out of them and you don't do that by publicly admonishing people, not in any workplace not just football. Reactive fans may like the binary, black and white, ' they're not trying, call 'em out bollocks ' but people are a lot more complex than that and as I said there are a myriad of reasons for players having bad games. Not trying is rarely one of them.

Jose doesn't do this because it helps him win more, he does this because that's who he is as a person, defensive, self centred and unwilling to take criticism. We all have egos, how we deal with them defines who we are.

Fergie was a winner, had a big ego and dominated his squad with an iron will - but when interviewed he didn't throw his players under the bus and refused to criticize them publicly whilst they were at the club. Behind closed doors he could and would brutalize them in a way Jose doesn't but he dealt with that away from the press. The players respected him as a result and he had longevity as a result. Jose never has and never will.

Jose is ours and I hope we win the lot with him here but I'm not going to defend behaviour that I think is counter intuitive when trying to get the best out of people and thought that way when he was at other clubs. He wins because he's driven and relentless and desperate to win at almost all costs, not because he slags the team off publicly. It's a reaction to criticism, he deflects, I don't even think it's calculated - it's reactive and part of what drives him as a person, the need to prove others wrong.

Btw I never said anyone should be pampered (I think quite the opposite), didn't mention a favourite player (but if you're talking about Alli he's not even in my top 10 in the current squad) and certainly don't think 'winners' have a tendency to slag their players off publicly. Fergie, Klopp, Pep are 3 examples straight off the top of my head.

If the bolded is true I would have liked to hear Jose say that so it didn't seem like he was lumping them in with the others in terms of his criticism.

Also if Bale was kept on in favor of Vinicius for fitness reasons, that is an awful decision by Jose.
I guess it’s one of those ones where you know if you’ve played well or not? Jose may have spoken to players privately, who knows? I’m sure we can all agree the whole 90 was pretty rough, tho - whichever players were on the pitch.

I’ve made the comments about Bale because that seems to make sense to me as he was in the CF position for the few minutes he was on in the 2nd half, just to run around. A fully fit Bale (whatever that now looks like) may be as influential as a fully-fit Kane or Son or N’Dombele. So, across the season, will likely gain more points than a happy second-striker (assuming no injuries etc).

Bad game to watch, tho and I’m just second guessing. To me, it makes sense, but clearly not to many others.

I guess it’s one of those ones where you know if you’ve played well or not? Jose may have spoken to players privately, who knows? I’m sure we can all agree the whole 90 was pretty rough, tho - whichever players were on the pitch.

I’ve made the comments about Bale because that seems to make sense to me as he was in the CF position for the few minutes he was on in the 2nd half, just to run around. A fully fit Bale (whatever that now looks like) may be as influential as a fully-fit Kane or Son or N’Dombele. So, across the season, will likely gain more points than a happy second-striker (assuming no injuries etc).

Bad game to watch, tho and I’m just second guessing. To me, it makes sense, but clearly not to many others.

With Bale I am not sure I like taking off arguably our most effective player to that point in a game we are losing to try and improve Bale's fitness. If we were up by a goal, or maybe even tied sure, but Bale was completely ineffective and we had enough passengers as it was in the first half.

While i don't disagree with his comments for one moment, I do wonder if this is where the rot starts to set in.

We know many of these players feel self entitled and feel normal life rules do not apply to them. They need and want an arm around their shoulder, rather than the public managerial criticism. Hopefully, our players are big enough to see the criticism for what it is and kick on, but if a couple of strong characters take issue with it, will he start to "lose the dressing room". We all know the cycle, it is there for all to see with Jose and the clubs he has been at before.

Again, not criticising his comments, needed to be said, just that will be interesting to see how the players react. That team should have been good enough to get the job done last night without a panic mass substitution. It isn't like they were all just thrown together, they see each other and train with each other every day.
He instigated the mass panic substitutions though which I thought was an over reaction, yes we weren't great but it's not like we played any better second half and at 1-0 down was there really any need for it? Chew their bollocks off at half time by all means, let them know their careers are on the line but then give em a chance to rectify it for 10 minutes.

Even tactically it didn't make much sense, at 1 - 0 up they were gonna shell and counter attack, I didn't think bringing Carlos off for Son was gonna help us open up their defense, I also thought he bottled taking Bale off who'd done fuck all.

At half time he helped create a narrative by making 4 subs that did fuck all to change the game.

You don't think for example those comments could equally fit Bale's fitness scenario? ...Or like I said, be a call back to the times he was previously scrutinised about the absense of TN & GLC? ....Or the quotes that Mr. Voldemort Mr. Voldemort provided above about Stevie?

Of course Dele was one of the number, but why would he make the 11 comment if he was merely having a swipe at Dele? ...This is Jose afterall; he's not shy of speaking his mind is he?

Yeah, I saw those comments and I am still confident that was Jose taking a shot at Dele. He has been clear since day one that he didn't like Dele's energy and he has been absent from many squads this year. The same cannot be said about the rest, even Steven.

But either way, I just don't get motivated by managers, bosses and the like that speak this way. It's a complete turnoff and that is why I have such an issue with it.

This is probably why I am making 35k a year, sit on a forum and complain, while these youngins are making millions playing for one of the biggest clubs in England. They can take the criticism, I curl up into a ball and cry.

There was a serious lack of intensity.....

1-to-1 pressing is a 2 way street.... We were 2nd to way too many challenges and loose balls.

Edit: Seems Hugo agrees.
Hugo's been good since his injury as an aside.

We should start a thread on not trying, it's quite a complex subject. Lacking motivation, confidence, fitness, trust in self and others. It's purely psychological if you assume a player is physically fit isn't it?

I don't believe any of our players walked out their last night and thought ' na can't be arsed tonight '. They wouldn't have made it as pros for a start. But some of the above play a part and a managers job is to work out each individual and what gets the best out of them. Gordon Strachan once described Fergie as the best psychologist he ever met. Bollocking some, not bollocking others in essence.
He'd bollock Rooney over something that was really intended for Nani knowing that Nani would take it on board that way. That's clever if it works which is all that counts.

The direct route may appeal when dealing with people but it's not always the best route - we know this from our own relationships, it's not any different for footballers.

Hugo's been good since his injury as an aside.

We should start a thread on not trying, it's quite a complex subject. Lacking motivation, confidence, fitness, trust in self and others. It's purely psychological if you assume a player is physically fit isn't it?

I don't believe any of our players walked out their last night and thought ' na can't be arsed tonight '. They wouldn't have made it as pros for a start. But some of the above play a part and a managers job is to work out each individual and what gets the best out of them. Gordon Strachan once described Fergie as the best psychologist he ever met. Bollocking some, not bollocking others in essence.
He'd bollock Rooney over something that was really intended for Nani knowing that Nani would take it on board that way. That's clever if it works which is all that counts.

The direct route may appeal when dealing with people but it's not always the best route - we know this from our own relationships, it's not any different for footballers.
I don't believe that either, and I don't agree with comments that say that the players in the first half didn't look motivated. To me they looked too often clueless or lost in communication with each other. They looked like they have hardly played together, which is true and we must accept that.

I feel that gradually all this will disappear, for a simple reason: it happened also to the first team. In many games last year (especially against teams who park the bus) they looked like they needed to stop and think about what to do with the ball instead of passing seemlessly between each other, making our whole game ponderous and predictable. This in part happened against Everton and in the first half against Soton. After that, everything started to work pretty well and we have seen some amazing stuff

I see the team were bad in the first half but I presume they had practiced tactics. 4 changes at half time was too much and a bit like friendlies multiple changes make it disjointed and even though Moura, Son & Lamela are used to playing together there seemed no real tactical plan.
I almost picked the same team as Mourinho and cannot therefore blame him for that but perhaps with hindsight Vinny, Bale, Dele & Bergwijn was a gamble as they have never played together.
On the basis Lo Celso was probably subbed either to keep him fresh, because of injury or because of lack of freshness, then he and Dele should have been the only half time changes. 2 more on the hour and keeping the final change back in case of injury.
Vinny played 90 mins last week and I would have given him longer with Son and others.
It almost is that Mourinho wants to hit the headlines with 4 subs at H/t. Had it have worked it would have been all about how he won the match but it didn't.

Crazy over reaction here , we only took 3Ls since March and this is the 3rd and some people already saying "told you so" , Jose's measurements is just too damn high compared to any other manager
I know it was a mistake writing this after the shit Antwerp game. I should have written it after the United game instead.

I hope I'm wrong, we'll see in a couple of months. I'm afraid that the only thing about Mourinho is that he seems to be good with the players he like. And still must have some kind of pull in the transfer window. There is some more order to the defense in open play but at set pieces we're terrible. I'll comment what I wrote around Christmas and I promise to take it back if I see some kind of pattern in how we play with the ball.

I know it was a mistake writing this after the shit Antwerp game. I should have written it after the United game instead.

I hope I'm wrong, we'll see in a couple of months. I'm afraid that the only thing about Mourinho is that he seems to be good with the players he like. And still must have some kind of pull in the transfer window. There is some more order to the defense in open play but at set pieces we're terrible. I'll comment what I wrote around Christmas and I promise to take it back if I see some kind of pattern in how we play with the ball.

What are some patterns of play that you see in other teams or managers?

What are some patterns of play that you see in other teams or managers?
If you look at teams like Bayern München, Liverpool and City. They attack in similar ways, there is a pattern in how transition from defence to attack. How they defend. Where and when they take chances and risk losing the ball and then defend aggressively, because when you win it back in those areas it's easier to create chances. Spurs on the other hand, press hard sometimes, backs of in other, plays through midfield some games and hoofs it in other. Very little movement in possession. It's hard to explain patterns I think. But I'm not seeing clear patterns in how Spurs play. If this is because we always adopt to how the opposition plays or if it's because we lack a "pattern" I don't know. Shit, it's hard to explain.

Back
Top Bottom