Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm such a melt. I follow Dele in instagram and saw this post the other day.

It gave me hope and was thinking that he will knuckle down and prove those who say he is lazy and happy to plod along collecting the cash wrong.

Nek minnit

He should be thinking to himself "do easy passes and no more flicking shit" along with "helping the team, helping Kane and Vini" while he's doing his yoga or discussing what is the best chocolate lolly.

Sell and sell sooner rather than later. Use the proceeds toward the 2-3 proper midfielders the squad still needs. And by proper midfielder I mean players that can reliably seek, control, receive, and deliver a ball under pressure. There is no longer space in the team for this player and his qualities, such as they are, because we need players with the more traditionally recognized abilities.

Thankfully Mou has settled this. 3+ seasons of this shit and some folks still holding out hope. Wouldn't be such a big deal if anyone could name 1 demonstrable footballing improvement in his 5+ years as a player for us. And since it hasn't happened thus far it would be absurd to assume it will happen going forward. He'll be 25 this season and that is not the age where players improve their awareness or technical ability. Few have and he won't be one of those exceptions.

Hey Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 :moursad:

I haven't given up on him. Dele is a player, that on form can bring us very much joy. I think Jose want to make him good again. How many times did we think Ndombele was out the door, and now? You won't find half a percent of fans thinking that.

I haven't given up on him. Dele is a player, that on form can bring us very much joy. I think Jose want to make him good again. How many times did we think Ndombele was out the door, and now? You won't find half a percent of fans thinking that.
Why the half measure? Why choose just 'good' when the option is available to Make Alli Great Again?

#MAGA2020 Too soon?

Dele, to me, appears to be a hugely talented, natural, instinctively intelligent footballer. I wonder if his downfall has been that he's not as educated, in a footballing sense, as many of his contemporaries, and that attempts to try to fit into styles of play by Poch and Southgate has conflicted with his natural flow. I think this conflict has affected his confidence and enjoyment of the game, and that in turn has lead to a negative spiral of bad performances and declining confidence. His social media exposure has not helped either.

Sell and sell sooner rather than later. Use the proceeds toward the 2-3 proper midfielders the squad still needs. And by proper midfielder I mean players that can reliably seek, control, receive, and deliver a ball under pressure. There is no longer space in the team for this player and his qualities, such as they are, because we need players with the more traditionally recognized abilities.

Thankfully Mou has settled this. 3+ seasons of this shit and some folks still holding out hope. Wouldn't be such a big deal if anyone could name 1 demonstrable footballing improvement in his 5+ years as a player for us. And since it hasn't happened thus far it would be absurd to assume it will happen going forward. He'll be 25 this season and that is not the age where players improve their awareness or technical ability. Few have and he won't be one of those exceptions.

Hey Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 :moursad:
If he’s that crap that we need to sell him and sell him now, what kind of money are we going to get for him? And how crap are the three midfielders we are buying for that money that will dislodge PEH, Tanguy, GLC, etc from the first team?

If he’s that crap that we need to sell him and sell him now, what kind of money are we going to get for him? And how crap are the three midfielders we are buying for that money that will dislodge PEH, Tanguy, GLC, etc from the first team?
This is all rather convoluted. What exactly is your question? It seems that in all your unburdening you've put the cart before the horse. The decision and acceptance to sell is first and foremost. And that seems to be what you and a few others are struggling with. Judging by the load bid PSG offered there won't be large bids for this player. Perhaps the footballing world has taken notice of his general play for the last 5 years and recognize there isn't much there there. I didn't watch the England-Ireland game so I don't know how he got on but I would assume it wasn't that great. But about the same display he's put on in the last few league games for us.

No matter what answer I give you about new players it will not be sufficient because your little heart is remembering Dele scoring that goal 4 seasons ago at Crystal Palace. Of course it is forgetting the rest of his 'play' that day but let's focus on the goal...because it's shiny. We've got needs throughout the squad and there is little room for players that offer so little on a consistent basis.

The writing's on the wall and you can continue to ignore it but when he is sold it will just be all the more surprising and painful for you.

Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦

This is all rather convoluted. What exactly is your question? It seems that in all your unburdening you've put the cart before the horse. The decision and acceptance to sell is first and foremost. And that seems to be what you and a few others are struggling with. Judging by the load bid PSG offered there won't be large bids for this player. Perhaps the footballing world has taken notice of his general play for the last 5 years and recognize there isn't much there there. I didn't watch the England-Ireland game so I don't know how he got on but I would assume it wasn't that great. But about the same display he's put on in the last few league games for us.

No matter what answer I give you about new players it will not be sufficient because your little heart is remembering Dele scoring that goal 4 seasons ago at Crystal Palace. Of course it is forgetting the rest of his 'play' that day but let's focus on the goal...because it's shiny. We've got needs throughout the squad and there is little room for players that offer so little on a consistent basis.

The writing's on the wall and you can continue to ignore it but when he is sold it will just be all the more surprising and painful for you.

Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦
Wasnt unburdening in the slightest. Thought I was asking a few simple questions. I’ll break things down one by one for you.

1. So we accept Dele has been shite for three years and decide to sell him.
2. How much do we think we can get for a player that has been shite for three years? Probably not that much, as you’ve said yourself.
3. You said to take the money from Dele to buy two or three midfielders we really need, so assuming better than what we have.
4. Who are these midfielders we can buy for the money we got for Dele?

For what it’s worth, I’ll be disappointed if we sell him. Yes, I look back at his career and wish he’d kept operating at the level he used to. It upsets me that a player I liked, playing for a team I love, isn’t doing as well as I think he can. But in the end, he’s a player, that’s it. There’s no deep-seated love there, he’s just a player.

1. So we accept Dele has been shite for three years and decide to sell him.
Yes, everone should have accepted it by now because things are easier in life when we succumb to actual facts and evidence instead of fairy tales and delusion.
2. How much do we think we can get for a player that has been shite for three years? Probably not that much, as you’ve said yourself.
If I were an opposing chairman you couldn't pay me to take him such is my opinion of his abilities.
3. You said to take the money from Dele to buy two or three midfielders we really need, so assuming better than what we have.
I said use the proceeds "toward" but that doesn't mean that the transfer sum for any potential Dele move would cover all of it. The statement was more about of our needs in the midfield (and elsewhere) and the futile process of trying to satisfy those needs with MF pretenders like Dele. The same went for Eriksen. We need real MF with all around games and the basic MF traits.
4. Who are these midfielders we can buy for the money we got for Dele?
Yeah, I addressed this on the last question. Any player will potentially offer more than Dele as far as Mou is concerned judging from the evidence. Dele doesn't get a shirt so any player that gets a shirt is an upgrade. No reason to continue with him clogging the roster if he's not going to get a game. And paying 100K/wk for a Europa group stage player is just silly.

Get rid.

Last edited:
Yes, everone should have accepted it by now because things are easier in life when we succumb to actual facts and evidence instead of fairy tales and delusion.

If I were an opposing chairman you couldn't pay me to take him such is my opinion of his abilities.

I said use the proceeds "toward" but that doesn't mean that the transfer sum for any potential Dele move would cover that. The statement was more about of our needs in the midfield (and elsewhere) and the futile process of trying to satisfy those needs with MF pretenders like Dele. The same went for Eriksen. We need real MF with all around games and the basic MF traits.

Yeah, I addressed this on the last question. Any player will potentially offer more than Dele as far as Mou is concerned judging from the evidence. Dele doesn't get a shirt so any player that gets a shirt is an upgrade. No reason to continue with him clogging the roster if he's not going to get a game. And playing 100K/wk for a Europa group stage player is just silly.

Get rid.
All fair. Missed the word “toward” to be honest.

Now he’s getting nowhere near the team, except for a half in the EL here and there, I’ve no issue selling him. I’d much rather we keep him after he starts to prove that he can get his form back, but if the manager feels he needs to go, I’m in support.

I do have a horrible feeling he’ll end up fucking us up at some point in the future though, if we do sell him.

Ndombele had been with us a season so it was right to give him time and a chance to 'resurrect' his Spurs career.

Dele has been poor for two years, he's had his chances, time to move him on.

Yes, but this can easily be handled with the 3rd string GK or any other position in the squad. It shouldn't be an impediment to moving him on and improving our squad.
I wasn’t saying this is a reason to stop us from selling him, just that we would need to bring in another Hg player , would bringing Skippy back count?

All fair. Missed the word “toward” to be honest.
I figured you did because in all honesty I don't think we are getting shit for him. I have been on the sell-Dele train for some time and mostly it was due to my low appreciation of his abilities and the potential money we'd get because people thought he was more than he is. You should always sell in that instance. In fact, I'm not against selling anyone at anytime if the price is right and the potential moves/players are available to improve us as a team.
Now he’s getting nowhere near the team, except for a half in the EL here and there, I’ve no issue selling him.
Wish others would get to this place as well. But the shame is that the longer this goes on the more the memories of his former exploits will fade and we'll end up in a CE-type situation.
I’d much rather we keep him after he starts to prove that he can get his form back, but if the manager feels he needs to go, I’m in support.
Cool. But I'd suggest you take in a game from way back and watch his full 90 minutes. Now I'm aware of the immense work and wonderful things he does out of focus of the cameras ( Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 ) but just watch what happens in-focus. It might change your mind on what he would have to offer if he got his "form back". Take a peek at the ManU game from last season where he scored. He gets credit for having a good game because he scored but he was absolute garbage in that game. But again, off-screen I hear he was Pele ( Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 ).
I do have a horrible feeling he’ll end up fucking us up at some point in the future though, if we do sell him.
Chance we gotta take. And what he does for someone else shouldn't stop us doing what we need to do for us. He won't be going to any team 'above' us so it shouldn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom