Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I loved those ones in the summer with the David Brent style poses saying he was training they were hilarious!

Poch protected him but Jose clearly doesn’t rate him, seriously if his head has gone he can go play at PSG or something with the others as it will suit him and good luck to him he has been fantastic for us in the past

Spurs have to be on full tilt just to compete we both know that, and he doesn’t do that, Lamela even has shown him up for a while, we could use the money to improve CB somehow

Yeah - I'd get rid of Dele too.

Not just for us but for him. He needs a new drive. Sadly, if he does leave its likely he'd probably end up earning more money elsewhere which his drive probably continues to wane.

I think using a "haven't lost since the opening day" stat as a way of protecting him from criticism is a bit weak. Especially when you're then basing it off date as opposed to how many games, which is the ultimate reach.

If Jose is ever criticised it's because of our performances as a team. Just because we're not losing doesn't mean criticism can't happen. And Jose himself would be stupid not to criticise the players and some of their performances too.

We were scraping through and winning under Poch in his last full season despite performances being really poor before it caught up with us.

I'm pleased Jose has us relatively harder to beat. But being unbeaten since "12th September" will mean nothing in the long line of embarrassing Spurs praises if we cant pick up points where they matter. And there's alot of games that matter in the next month.

We don't need a scapegoat - especially a player who isn't even playing

Teams at the bottom of the league need scapegoats - and they need to actually be playing

So you admit he's your scapegoat - how very, very sad.
I will if you admit that you have Dele pajamas that you wear to keep you warm at night.

And he's not my scapegoat...that's the reductive perspective of those with little ability for critical thought. How few and from whom your ratings for this post supports this.

But Dele is a very poor footballer that has underperformed for 3+ seasons and will hopefully be shown the door very soon and replaced with a better performing footballer that actually warrants a place in the 18 in league games.

This must be a very difficult time for you. I'm sorry that this realization is so hard for you emotionally. Just know that time heals all wounds.

Last edited:
Sell and sell sooner rather than later. Use the proceeds toward the 2-3 proper midfielders the squad still needs. And by proper midfielder I mean players that can reliably seek, control, receive, and deliver a ball under pressure. There is no longer space in the team for this player and his qualities, such as they are, because we need players with the more traditionally recognized abilities.

Thankfully Mou has settled this. 3+ seasons of this shit and some folks still holding out hope. Wouldn't be such a big deal if anyone could name 1 demonstrable footballing improvement in his 5+ years as a player for us. And since it hasn't happened thus far it would be absurd to assume it will happen going forward. He'll be 25 this season and that is not the age where players improve their awareness or technical ability. Few have and he won't be one of those exceptions.

Hey Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 :moursad:
Any player should be sold if they aren't selected.

Problem here is, based on history, he’s more likely to outlast our manager. Based on reports it would appear that the Club are reticent to selling him, probably for this reason???

Yeah, I'm gonna have to say that you and I fundamentally see the game differently. Putting that aside, how many backpost headers have there been? 2 against Chelsea and a couple here or there. REALLY? You believe a player is worth keeping around for ~5 backpost headers in 5 years?

In those other 88 minutes an actual footballer would produce real chances for others and they might even be more efficient at the backpost header game that enthralls you so. We could just go get Fellaini and things would really be on the up.

And I repeat, too much credit is given to the goal scorer and not enough recognition to the actual chance creation.

Welp, part of that is because MF should be creating chances and less focused on scoring them and the whole team would function better. Dele did what he did because he had nothing else...for the last 3 years we've seen the nothing else when we've asked him to do more. Judging MFers by goals is not a very reasonable thing to do as it sends you down the path of things like questioning Modric because "What's he do...he's got no goals in 'em".

If we want more goals then let's buy some more capable MFers and more dynamic attackers. What we shouldn't do is make ourselves less defensively secure and offensively efficient by including Dele...because he rarely, if ever, "played well". He just got on the scoresheet. Get rid.
great post! well said

Maybe I building my memory of Dele up to something that didn’t actually happen, but I recall him often being the difference in big matches. I’m bound to remember that positively.

But yes, we may see football fundamentally differently. I would love to play well, but I’d rather win above all else. And his goals and assists helped us do that many times.
I don't deny those moments but purely focusing on those will bias any interpretation and evaluation of a player. As you've said you are not focused on the other 88 minutes. But the other 88 minutes will give you a better and more full perspective. But with Dele most people are focused on the goals no matter how much they whine and whinge that their perspective is bigger and more cultured ( Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 ).
Credit to you for admitting that those decisive moments, and Dele has had a fair few, are what matter to you most and that the other stuff is secondary. My issue has always been that a better footballer would have done more in the other 88 minutes such that we didn't need those decisive moments.
I’m thinking you are just trying to bait me into an argument, but I’m not biting.
Can't imagine where you'd get that from. Surely, I am not. We just disagree. I thought we were having a civil discussion. I am, however, poking at others in this thread but not you.

Yep - my post ratings should definitely be the deciding metric of how good a player is

:mourthumb:

wow
Yeah, that's what I was saying.:pochrolleyes: Actually I was making a comment to the peanut gallery that is following me around because he can't quit me and needs attention. It was kind of an inside joke...but it still fits because fewer and fewer of his club's own fans are seeing the need for this player.

I thought we had a deal on the scapegoat and pajamas?

Any player should be sold if they aren't selected.

Problem here is, based on history, he’s more likely to outlast our manager. Based on reports it would appear that the Club are reticent to selling him, probably for this reason???
Listen, we may have our 'issues' on this topic but we agree on Mou. Are you suggesting the higher ups suspect Dele will outlast Mou here? For you that must be manna from heaven but for me that's all kind of bittersweet.

Yeah, that's what I was saying.:pochrolleyes: Actually I was making a comment to the peanut gallery that is following me around because he can't quit me and needs attention. It was kind of an inside joke...but it still fits because fewer and fewer of his club's own fans are seeing the need for this player.

I thought we had a deal on the scapegoat and pajamas?

Keep telling yourself you're important, Todd..... we all know self-flattery is important to you. I don't even read most of your self absorbed musings. I've certainly no particular desire for your attention.

Ironically, posts like the one above show you're clearly the one lacking attention.

It's a shame for you that RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK isn't about so much atm; you must be missing the intimate games of soggy biscuit.

Keep telling yourself you're important, Todd..... we all know self-flattery is important to you. I don't even read most of your self absorbed musings. I've certainly no particular desire for your attention.

Ironically, posts like the one above show you're clearly the one lacking attention.

It's a shame for you that RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK isn't about so much atm; you must be missing the intimate games of soggy biscuit.
surprise surprise, someone who knows what they are talking about and you have a problem with them! you should be thanking him for being on the forum as hes giving you a free education.

surprise surprise, someone who knows what they are talking about and you have a problem with them! you should be thanking him for being on the forum as hes giving you a free education.

Pipe down.... You're butting in on something you have no idea about.

It's really quite odd that as we sit in 2nd with the longest unbeaten run in the country we still need to aggressively find a scapegoat - I include Mourinho in that 'we'
Imagine the unbeaten run has nothing to do with droping players like Dele, Winks and Davies, we will probably be at the same situation with them starting every game.

i know he knows what hes talking about and you dont.....and surprise surprise you have a problem with him cos hes pulling up players that you have a fanboy thing for.

WRONG.

You're talking detached nonsense.... He's just bitching about forum politics and under delusions of personal grandeur.

(I'm not a fanboy for Dele either... I've criticised him plenty thx; I just don't buy into the "he's shit and always has been". )

you should actually listen to him you might learn a thing or two

As previously noted, you're better off not getting involved in things that don't concern you.

Listen, we may have our 'issues' on this topic but we agree on Mou. Are you suggesting the higher ups suspect Dele will outlast Mou here? For you that must be manna from heaven but for me that's all kind of bittersweet.
I can only speculate on what has come out this far.
1. It has been reported, numerous sources including the reputable Jornos, that the Club are reticent in selling Dele.
2. Jose doesn't stick around longer than 3yrs

I draw a conclusion from this.

The only variance on this would be that a player that a Club dosn't want to sell has more value in the market than a player that a Club want to sell. So, there is a possibility of the club dressing up a player.

He's on ignore but he just can't stop reading my posts and getting involved with passive-aggressive ratings. An adult in his position would just ignore my posts (or ignore the poster) and move on but he can't quit me. I made the mistake of repeatedly besting him in a battle of wits. In my defense he was unarmed.

The attempts at education are of little value because I can only teach things to him but I haven't yet acquired the ability to learn things for him. Plus, he's the forum flibbertigibbet, rarely has anything of value to say about football and always focused on things football-adjacent. He's just always trolling for a fight and trying to control what others say. Forum life gets better once his vapid "notice me" questions and copious posts are ignored. I guess he needed to know that I knew he still existed today.

And though I won't tag him here he will still read this...as I'm sure he has all of my posts. #obsessed

Last edited:
I can only speculate on what has come out this far.
1. It has been reported, numerous sources including the reputable Jornos, that the Club are reticent in selling Dele.
2. Jose doesn't stick around longer than 3yrs

I draw a conclusion from this.

The only variance on this would be that a player that a Club dosn't want to sell has more value in the market than a player that a Club want to sell. So, there is a possibility of the club dressing up a player.
Yeah, there were the reports that Mou wanted rid but the club were unsure even when the PSG stuff was about. But I wonder how much has changed with him not even getting in the matchday squad? That has to have deleterious effects on potential market value.

Back
Top Bottom