Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's on ignore but he just can't stop reading my posts and getting involved with passive-aggressive ratings. An adult in his position would just ignore my posts (or ignore the poster) and move on but he can't quit me. I made the mistake of repeatedly besting him in a battle of wits.

The attempts at education are of little value because I can only teach things to him but I haven't yet acquired the ability to learn things for him. Plus, he's the forum flibbertigibbet, rarely has anything of value to say about football. He's just always trolling for a fight and trying to control what others say. Forum life gets better once his vapid "notice me" questions and copious posts are ignored. I guess he needed to know that I knew he still existed today.

And though I won't tag him here he will still read this...as I'm sure he has all of my posts. #obsessed

Of course I am on ignore... Funny how you are aware of this exchange I'm having with another user thought isn't it, Todd; Mr "Me & Five and the cleverest and I'm one of very few that know anything about football on the entire forum".

You are banter, 'mate'.

I am firmly in the camp of Dele out. (although i have a feeling we will struggle to shift him) I think he has been atrocious for us. Just how bad has been masked on occasions by him scoring goals when we needed them.

However i will always be sad that he didn't realise that his form dropping off and the structure of the team changing to render him somewhat redundant, and respond to that. Plenty of players reinvent themselves with hard work and application. We can see Dier attempting that at the moment. Could Dele have done that as a more all round creative (or at least progressive) midfielder?

I don't get the impression that he has ever seriously considered this. Just seems such a waste. He could have been a legend.

You can have someone on ignore and know when they post.........

If someone quotes them..... I guess if you can’t resist you then unignore that content.

Just so you know.........

:levyeyes:
Yes, this is exactly true. In fact daveyboy88 quoted someone that I have on ignore and responded to them on this very page. I have used the "show ignored content" periodically but that is when the posters it shows are posters that talk about football.

I am firmly in the camp of Dele out. (although i have a feeling we will struggle to shift him) I think he has been atrocious for us. Just how bad has been masked on occasions by him scoring goals when we needed them.
It duped many a supporter as well.
However i will always be sad that he didn't realise that his form dropping off and the structure of the team changing to render him somewhat redundant, and respond to that. Plenty of players reinvent themselves with hard work and application. We can see Dier attempting that at the moment. Could Dele have done that as a more all round creative (or at least progressive) midfielder?
This is such a great observation. It's weird because he had 2 seasons playing deeper (Poch's last two-ish) and never improved 1 bit even though he gave interviews saying his understanding improved. But then the argument on this board became about him being better once he was moved further up but this was only about goal contribution. Dele needed to become a better, more consistent footballer in order to take on any potential position he was put in. And like you said the evolution of the team has made him redundant. I honestly don't know where he could fit in as a player now based on skillset.

You can have someone on ignore and know when they post.........

If someone quotes them..... I guess if you can’t resist you then unignore that content.

Just so you know.........

:levyeyes:

Well there you go.... Obviously the boy Todd can't "resist", but apparently he's above this kind of shit.... Just can't "resist" having a little peak and indirectly engaging & shit-talking much the same....... The bigger man. :dawsonlol:

The hypocrisy of the man also lies in that he continues to give the thumbs up to any post that even slightly reflects badly on Dele yet get's butt-hurt cos I agreed with a couple of Blanchflower Blanchflower 's comments.

Yeah, there were the reports that Mou wanted rid but the club were unsure even when the PSG stuff was about. But I wonder how much has changed with him not even getting in the matchday squad? That has to have deleterious effects on potential market value.
I think COVID has had the biggest impact on player values, one that will rumble on for years. So much so, that Dele's "marketability" is arguably more valuable to the Club right now even if he's not playing(???), think the same can be said regarding every player within this echelon of players.

I think COVID has had the biggest impact on player values, one that will rumble on for years. So much so, that Dele's "marketability" is arguably more valuable to the Club right now even if he's not playing(???), think the same can be said regarding every player within this echelon of players.
Really? Did the transfer market show evidence of widespread devaluation of players? I thought it showed the complete opposite or that the effect wasn't remotely as dramatic as some feared/hoped. I guess it would depend on what echelon you felt Dele was in previous to the pandemic and what the value delta is.

Really? Did the transfer market show evidence of widespread devaluation of players? I thought it showed the complete opposite or that the effect wasn't remotely as dramatic as some feared/hoped. I guess it would depend on what echelon you felt Dele was in previous to the pandemic and what the value delta is.
Just look at the sheer volume of loan deals done, I believe although can't recall with 100% accuracy, that there have never been as many done previously.

Just look at the sheer volume of loan deals done, I believe although can't recall with 100% accuracy, that there have never been as many done previously.
Fair enough in a broad sense but you said "within this echelon" which implies a certain level of player...which further implies certain levels of clubs. My point being covid didn't stop Chelsea or City paying money. Sure, they're bankrolled but I'm assuming so are the other clubs I would assume you to think would be interested in Dele.

Your point about Dele being more 'valuable' to us from a marketing perspective than what we'd get by selling him might have some merit though I'm not sure how we'd extract value from that. But I'm also not sure I feel that covid is the principal reason though it may be contributory.

What market value do you assign to Dele pre and post covid?

Fair enough in a broad sense but you said "within this echelon" which implies a certain level of player...which further implies certain levels of clubs. My point being covid didn't stop Chelsea or City paying money. Sure, they're bankrolled but I'm assuming so are the other clubs I would assume you to think would be interested in Dele.

Your point about Dele being more 'valuable' to us from a marketing perspective than what we'd get by selling him might have some merit though I'm not sure how we'd extract value from that. But I'm also not sure I feel that covid is the principal reason though it may be contributory.

What market value do you assign to Dele pre and post covid?
Wouldn't want to speculate on valuations mate, pre-COVID I thought they were simply crazy. You've only got to look at Coutinho vs Eriksen valuations for the stupidity of how things are done (I think Eriksen was the better of the two players for his work off the ball, his out-put on the ball was far higher).

The more I see what Clubs do and who they want and what they pay the more it blows my mind.

Commercially he will be important to the existing portfolio of partners, ensuring they extract value on thier current deals and hopefully maintain these values for a possible renewal. The fact he's here (amongst others like Kane, Bale & Son) also assists in the search and competing for new ones. I don't understand how the $ gets attributed but rest assured, it's these players that's where the social activity is and the what they hope to tap into.

I don't get the impression that he has ever seriously considered this. Just seems such a waste. He could have been a legend.

I'd say Dier was doing really well at the moment and I think you're right about reinventing himself.

I personally feel Dele should reinvent himself as a striker. I don't see it happening though. He is too comfortable where he is.

Wouldn't want to speculate on valuations mate, pre-COVID I thought they were simply crazy.
Fair enough to say that you believe his pre-value to be higher than his post-value though?

You've only got to look at Coutinho vs Eriksen valuations for the stupidity of how things are done (I think Eriksen was the better of the two players for his work off the ball, his out-put on the ball was far higher).
Yeah, but when you're looking for a replacement for Neymar there's only 1 player from those two (though I'd have neither).

Commercially he will be important to the existing portfolio of partners, ensuring they extract value on thier current deals and hopefully maintain these values for a possible renewal. The fact he's here (amongst others like Kane, Bale & Son) also assists in the search and competing for new ones. I don't understand how the $ gets attributed but rest assured, it's these players that's where the social activity is and the what they hope to tap into.
Sorry, but this is all filthy and disgusting to me (ie the business talk). But the longer Bale carries that piano on his back while moving like he's recovering from a double-hip the more likely they'll see the folly in this approach. But then again all our dross stays around way too long so perhaps this bean coutning is the basis of DL's outlook.

I think Dele is still here because no club offered DL 50M. If a club that Dele was happy to play for had offered that much then Dele would be gone. To be clear, I do not believe this is his current market value (lower) nor would I pay this much for the player (DL would have to pay me) but I do think DL thinks it's some absurd amount and is wondering why he's only faced with 1.5M loan deals to Ligue 1.

Fair enough to say that you believe his pre-value to be higher than his post-value though?

Yeah, but when you're looking for a replacement for Neymar there's only 1 player from those two (though I'd have neither).

Sorry, but this is all filthy and disgusting to me (ie the business talk). But the longer Bale carries that piano on his back while moving like he's recovering from a double-hip the more likely they'll see the folly in this approach. But then again all our dross stays around way too long so perhaps this bean coutning is the basis of DL's outlook.

I think Dele is still here because no club offered DL 50M. If a club that Dele was happy to play for had offered that much then Dele would be gone. To be clear, I do not believe this is his current market value (lower) nor would I pay this much for the player (DL would have to pay me) but I do think DL thinks it's some absurd amount and is wondering why he's only faced with 1.5M loan deals to Ligue 1.
No idea about pre-COVID vs now, I just don't think it's been played out fully yet. Maybe loans continue as a way forward for the short term. Maybe Clubs start to actually rely on their academy more. Maybe the transfer market is now reduced to the activity of one or two players supplemented by loans, this being the case it might strengthen the value of the player being bought/sold.

I'd agree with you on Coutinho replacing Neymar but this lends itself to the "marketability" of the player NOT the impact they/he would have on the team (he basically failed there), Eriksen (in form) was a far more complete player and would have worked harder for Suarez and Messi (but socially and personality-wise I doubt he would have fitted in with them to form a trio?)

100% Dele would go if he wanted to go, the player still holds the power. This may turn out to be the case if he remains unselected. On the surface, this doesn't appear to be the case though. But a player wanting to leave, a club not wanting a player, IMO does have a detrimental effect on a players valuation as opposed to the scenario of the "club is determined to keep" line of player sales.

Last edited:
Yeah, but that raises the likelihood that he'll play.
He will only play if the players ahead of him in selection get injured or suffer a positive test. My point is that the club was right to strengthen the squad as we need strength in depth this season more than most rather than as some posters want us to sell those including Dele that are not getting in the team. Rose is a case whereby if you are not playing no one wants you. It will be very difficult to sell Dele in January if he does not play and if he goes it will probably be a loan or a cheap deal. I support the decision that he does not deserve a place in a he PL starting 11 but we need him as an option for when rather than if those ahead of him get injured, suspended or fail a test. I hope it is not necessary but only last February we were so short of options and we do not want to get back there.

Back
Top Bottom