Retro Spurs photos

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

E1-CF67-EB-65-FB-46-A8-9-D68-C104-C689-C602.jpg

Cheerleaders are new thing are they not? That image would be what 65/66?
Closer to 70 would be my guess. Greaves receding hairline and thickening waist. Both of them wearing shin pads and Pat wearing gloves.
Mrs P right as always with the Palace angle.

And look at those shiny boots. Eddie Bailey would have been so proud.

For some reason I remember Palace having cheerleaders in the 70s, possibly because I think they were the only team that did. I very rarely bother googling stuff and rely on my memory for most things. Funny how I remember stuff from decades ago quite clearly and can't remember what I went upstairs for!

For some reason I remember Palace having cheerleaders in the 70s, possibly because I think they were the only team that did. I very rarely bother googling stuff and rely on my memory for most things. Funny how I remember stuff from decades ago quite clearly and can't remember what I went upstairs for!
I know the feeling.

Closer to 70 would be my guess. Greaves receding hairline and thickening waist. Both of them wearing shin pads and Pat wearing gloves.
Mrs P right as always with the Palace angle.

And look at those shiny boots. Eddie Bailey would have been so proud.
If it is nearer 1970 and say just say palace Jimmy played his last game away at palace in the cup 69/70 season.

Last edited:
I grew up with Palace as my local club and went to loads of games, and I think I can work it out.

imo It's Palace's first ever season in the top flight - 1969-70.

2-0 to Spurs, Pearce and Chivers. Aug 1969.

The following season I went to my first match there, v Spam. Moore, Hurst and....Greaves, who'd been transferred March 1970.

I can't recall cheerleaders as we would know them, but I know that in that first season there were sort of guards of honour as it were. I'm guessing they weren't for everyone. United had one for instance.

Edit: the grass seems very green for an August match?

We did play Palace home and away in the cup that season as well, but the match at Selhurst Jan 1970 was the replay and would have been an evening kick off. That match is significant in that Bill N was so furious at the defeat that he dropped a few players and Greaves didn't play again.

Grim season but getting Peters in from WHU led to much better following seasons. 3 trophies and an unlucky EUFA Final loss.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom