Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That was good, I will give you that
FB04VCg.gif

I think Dele and Winks compete for different positions to be honest.
Dele played well enough yesterday for a spot on the bench for me.
With 7 subs I would want cover for,
gk, full back, cb, dm, am, wide man, st

Winks falls into the dm/cm category for me, and Dele attacking mid. But both should be on the bench against Chelsea, and neither starting imo.
Fair enough, thanks for the reply.

Agree that for the money Camavinga (SP? or whatever his name is, that I haven't even seen play!) type wonderkid DM would be better, but we've found ourselves overstocked with non-HG, as most other top8 clubs are, so we may need to look at overspending on a Rice when the same money could buy a Camavinga type...

If Winks wants to go, and we get offered £30M (plus clauses up to £35M say), it would not trouble me if Jose wanted to offer £50M + clauses up to £60M, for example, on Rice.
Rice will not replace Winks as he is on the bench. If and I doubt it will happen, we buy Rice it will be for someone in the first 11 like Sissoko.

Rice will not replace Winks as he is on the bench. If and I doubt it will happen, we buy Rice it will be for someone in the first 11 like Sissoko.

That's what I meant, replacing winks in HG terms though...

A pool of Lo Celso, Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Rice would be rather tasty though. Enough to keep them all fresh and fight on all fronts.

Would love Winks to elevate his performances and negate this need though.

Fair to criticize his play, but some of the hate this lad gets is over the top. Proper Spurs and seems to be a very decent lad.

Fair to criticize his play, but some of the hate this lad gets is over the top. Proper Spurs and seems to be a very decent lad.

Alot of the criticism seems to be down to playing an unnatural role - he is not a dm and never will be. The reason why Southgate loves him and why he does so well for England is because he isn't playing as a dm.

Having said that, he's recent performances even when playing a more natural role have been poor considering the high standard he set 1-2 years ago.

But that is a problem of form and not ability. Whilst he won't be a first teamer in the current tactical set up, he will still be a crucial player considering the amount of competitions we are in.

Look, he’s a good player. Not spectacular but he’s good and reliable. Unexciting (50 yard goals aside). A squad player because we have bought in more talented players that start ahead of him. Thats no disrespect to him. The thing is, next summer will bring even stronger players in probably and so he will have a gard time developing enough by then to retain a place in the squad. Next summer probably best to move him on, hopefully to the likes of Everton or even Leicester if he’s lucky. Or abroad to a similar calibre of club.

He has a tough task ahead, but I hope he doesn't give up in January. He should be aiming at overtaking Sissoko in the pecking order and with an injury to one or two of Höjbjerg, Sissoko, Lo Celso and Ndombele he will find himself playing much more games than at present.

He will need to play well though, as Skipp is doing very well in the Championship and you'd wonder if we really have a chance of getting Camavonga with Mourinho at the helm?

He should be aiming at overtaking Sissoko in the pecking order
No chance - never. Sissoko as limited technically is more physical, quicker, better defensively and a better athlete all around - typical Jose player. No wonder we've shot up the table after he was removed from the starting 11.

His only option is a Jan loan if he is to retain the England spot

Don't really get the vitriol around Winks tbh. He's not a world beater and never will be but he's not a terrible footballer either. He's fine as as home grown reliable squad player. If we strengthen further he might need to look to move on to another club in a year or two, 'til then he's fine to have on the fringes and to come in for certain games - we have a busy fixture list.

No chance - never. Sissoko as limited technically is more physical, quicker, better defensively and a better athlete all around - typical Jose player. No wonder we've shot up the table after he was removed from the starting 11.

His only option is a Jan loan if he is to retain the England spot
Not saying he will do it, but it should be his goal nonetheless. He has a way to go, I'd give you that.

Back
Top Bottom