Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He did say he wants playing time so that he isn't ignored for the national team.

A loan-to-compulsory-buy-option sounds like how the story would go with his January move
Those Southgate call-ups have really thrown him into delusion - same for Declan Rice, Rashford, Mount, etc.

Horribly average players part of a horribly average manager's system

I don't understand the hate towards one of our own. He's solid squad player and I would keep him if there isn't 40M price tag included.

You're confusing dislike/hate with simply not rating a player. I don't think anyone in our squad is deserving of hate, Dele can be quite irritating in his behaviour and Lamela's repeated injuries can be rather irksome but still shouldn't elicit hate.

I'd like to see him moved on in one of the next two windows simply because I feel Skipp is a better player.

Those Southgate call-ups have really thrown him into delusion - same for Declan Rice, Rashford, Mount, etc.

Horribly average players part of a horribly average manager's system
I've seen West Ham's last 4/5 games and Declan Rice had been excellent. He'd start for us over Sissoko, Mourinho would love him. Mount is a good player as well. Rashford won't ever be an elite player but to call him horribly average isn't correct, he has lots of ability.

Winks is the most mid-table of the four.

I've seen West Ham's last 4/5 games and Declan Rice had been excellent. He'd start for us over Sissoko, Mourinho would love him. Mount is a good player as well. Rashford won't ever be an elite player but to call him horribly average isn't correct, he has lots of ability.

Winks is the most mid-table of the four.

The thing with Rice is:

PEH: 13m
RICE: 50-60m (est.)

The thing with Rice is:

PEH: 13m
RICE: 50-60m (est.)
Ah look, no doubt. English mark up. But he's really good and not yet 22. City spent 60m on Rodri, Liverpool close to 50m on a 25yo Fabinho.

If Rice improves he can be a similar level of player. Great engine, good tackle, improving his reading of game, ditto passing, can carry the ball, strong in the air, bit of leadership quality about him.

I like winks and what he does. He does what the manager asks of him and is a decent passer of the ball. I would like him to be more progressive in his passing and i think we can see evidence of him working on that.

All that said I wouldn't get hung up if he got sold. Part of being a top side is selling, and other than fringe players we rarely seem to sell. (Thats my perception anyways) Obv I dont want to see our superstars leave.

But winks going doesnt mean he's shit. Us selling players is not the end of the world. Its all good.

Ah look, no doubt. English mark up. But he's really good and not yet 22. City spent 60m on Rodri, Liverpool close to 50m on a 25yo Fabinho.

If Rice improves he can be a similar level of player. Great engine, good tackle, improving his reading of game, ditto passing, can carry the ball, strong in the air, bit of leadership quality about him.

Sure.... Due to how underwhelming Rodri has been, I'd forgotten how expensive he was.

Generally 60m still a lot of money for a young DM that is still in the early development stages of their career. I know you didn't mention him in such a context, but I suspect we'd be looking to shop around a bit more in seeking such a profile of player for our squad and similarly I'd like to think that, like PEH, other such players are out there to be found.

I get the impression Winks is as good as he's ever going to be, I think we will keep on adding especially to the midfield, and with one or two coming thru I can't see Winks ever becoming a main stay again, hopefully he proves me wrong tho cos he's a top lad.

Funny how most are raving about Dele's performance last night however Winks (who played just as well) is being greeted with comments like 'he has found his level'.

I find it a little strange.

Sure.... Due to how underwhelming Rodri has been, I'd forgotten how expensive he was.

Generally 60m still a lot of money for a young DM that is still in the early development stages of their career. I know you didn't mention him in such a context, but I suspect we'd be looking to shop around a bit more in seeking such a profile of player for our squad and similarly I'd like to think that, like PEH, other such players are out there to be found.

Agree that for the money Camavinga (SP? or whatever his name is, that I haven't even seen play!) type wonderkid DM would be better, but we've found ourselves overstocked with non-HG, as most other top8 clubs are, so we may need to look at overspending on a Rice when the same money could buy a Camavinga type...

If Winks wants to go, and we get offered £30M (plus clauses up to £35M say), it would not trouble me if Jose wanted to offer £50M + clauses up to £60M, for example, on Rice.

I personally think Winks has improved in the last match and the previous England games. someone must have had words of encouragement/Coaching as he is moving the ball forward at any chance he gets instead of the easy option.

Hate is maybe harsh, but you're here after every match.
Even yesterday you wrote "found his level"

What that tells me you don't like him, you are gonna find every oportunity to shit on him.

Why?
I just don't rate him, that's all.

His absolute best is not even enough to be a squad player here.

Think he will do well at Brighton, that's just about his level.

Back
Top Bottom