Harry Winks

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not saying he will do it, but it should be his goal nonetheless. He has a way to go, I'd give you that.

If you class growing 5" gaining 50lb of muscle, running 50% quicker, learning how to track back and not comit kamikaze fouls, drbble, head and just generally contrbute as "a way to go" then I dread to think what you think the likes of Jack Clarke has to do to get a sniff in the premier league
:bergwijnconfused:

If you class growing 5" gaining 50lb of muscle, running 50% quicker, learning how to track back and not comit kamikaze fouls, drbble, head and just generally contrbute as "a way to go" then I dread to think what you think the likes of Jack Clarke has to do to get a sniff in the premier league
:bergwijnconfused:

He's a different player and in games where you need the physicality and immense workrate from Sissoko, Winks won't get ahead of him. However, vs lesser teams when we need to break them down he could pose an option, but in that case he need to improve his forward passing..

He's a different player and in games where you need the physicality and immense workrate from Sissoko, Winks won't get ahead of him. However, vs lesser teams when we need to break them down he could pose an option, but in that case he need to improve his forward passing..
Other than a misplaced 56 yard pass into the top corner of the net, when has Winks EVER helped break down a stubborn team? He's the most negative, play it safe, stiffling player in our entire squad.
I said it before, he's probably pissed off that pass ruined his success rate the other day.

I think it's more likely we just replace Sissoko with Lo Celso in those games.

I think it's more likely we just replace Sissoko with Lo Celso in those games.

I reckon we all want a midfield with Höjbjerg, Lo Celso and Ndombele.

We have 5 central/defensive midfielders (if you exclude Gedson and White) and between the 5 of them Winks is last on the pecking order at the moment.
Injuries might strike again though, and we may have to hope Winks can do a job for us when it matters.

Other than a misplaced 56 yard pass into the top corner of the net, when has Winks EVER helped break down a stubborn team? He's the most negative, play it safe, stiffling player in our entire squad.
I said it before, he's probably pissed off that pass ruined his success rate the other day.

There have been examples this season. Don't know which game it was, possibly EL, where Winks lofted a pass over the whole defence only for Kane to blast it over.

He is capable of it, but needs to dare to do it more often.

Winks is the sort of player you need in your squad to rotate when needed, bring on as sub, play the EL and League cup ties. I hope he stays. His attitude is good, he may improve through sheer hard work.

Home grown players may be more likely to want to stay longer. I'd hate if he ended up at Spam, far too good for them lot. In the past, when we were shit (kids ask your parents) Winks could well have ended up club captain. The rock of a mid-table team. Stays his whole career, testimonial the lot. Then youth team coach or club ambassador if coaching not his thing.

I've always thought that Skipp as a youth was better than Winks at the same age. OS might well come back and overtake him in the pecking order. More physical, better engine, better passer too.

Another good'un, home grown with a good attitude.

There have been examples this season. Don't know which game it was, possibly EL, where Winks lofted a pass over the whole defence only for Kane to blast it over.

He is capable of it, but needs to dare to do it more often.
PEH is 6 months older than Winks and is a nailed on starter for us and his national team. He was a nailed on starter for his previous club up until he indicated he wanted to leave.
He doesn't need to learn to do anything, he already has.
TND is a year younger and only really needs to get fit
GLC 3 months younger and...

Winks is not a young prospect anymore. He is a very average player who offers little defesively or offensively.
That being said, he's a worker with a good attitude and probably deserves to play football. Just not for us.

PEH is 6 months older than Winks and is a nailed on starter for us and his national team. He was a nailed on starter for his previous club up until he indicated he wanted to leave.
He doesn't need to learn to do anything, he already has.
TND is a year younger and only really needs to get fit
GLC 3 months younger and...

Winks is not a young prospect anymore. He is a very average player who offers little defesively or offensively.
That being said, he's a worker with a good attitude and probably deserves to play football. Just not for us.
May be. Football changes fast, and as long as he still gets games (albeit EL) from Jose he has a chance. Same goes for Dele. See Ndombele for last season.

I reckon we all want a midfield with Höjbjerg, Lo Celso and Ndombele.

We have 5 central/defensive midfielders (if you exclude Gedson and White) and between the 5 of them Winks is last on the pecking order at the moment.
Injuries might strike again though, and we may have to hope Winks can do a job for us when it matters.

Winks isn't behind Gedson & White in the pecking order...... That's silly talk.

Winks isn't behind Gedson & White in the pecking order...... That's silly talk.
I didn't say that. I excluded Gedson and White and they would be behind Winks anyway.

Höjbjerg, Sissoko, Ndombele and Lo Celso are ahead though and that makes him 5th at the moment imho.

No chance - never. Sissoko as limited technically is more physical, quicker, better defensively and a better athlete all around - typical Jose player. No wonder we've shot up the table after he was removed from the starting 11.

His only option is a Jan loan if he is to retain the England spot
the most frustrating thing is, it was obvious a long long time ago.... would of been in champions league this year if it was sorted sooner.

Hasn't played a single minute of Prem football since he gifted West Ham a last minute equaliser.

Mourinho is ruthless.
Interesting too, because Jose went out of his way to single out Winks for praise after West Ham, which I remember thinking at the time was a bit of a head scratcher. "With Winks on the pitch, the team gained again that stability that we had. We were very comfortable. We were very much in control."

Clearly, internally Mourinho and the coaching staff arrived at a different conclusion to what was implied in what he said publicly. Maybe he was trying to protect team morale at what he knew was a critical moment for the team (iirc he wasn't actually that harsh on Sanchez either), or maybe he was just trying to pre-emptively deflect questions about his substitution choices. Either way goes against the narrative that Jose will always publicly throw his players under the bus at the first sign of trouble rather than deal with matters internally 'liKe FErGie wOuLd dO'

Interesting too, because Jose went out of his way to single out Winks for praise after West Ham, which I remember thinking at the time was a bit of a head scratcher. "With Winks on the pitch, the team gained again that stability that we had. We were very comfortable. We were very much in control."

Clearly, internally Mourinho and the coaching staff arrived at a different conclusion to what was implied in what he said publicly. Maybe he was trying to protect team morale at what he knew was a critical moment for the team (iirc he wasn't actually that harsh on Sanchez either), or maybe he was just trying to pre-emptively deflect questions about his substitution choices. Either way goes against the narrative that Jose will always publicly throw his players under the bus at the first sign of trouble rather than deal with matters internally 'liKe FErGie wOuLd dO'

The comments by Mourinho after that game was just to keep Winks happy and not to be seen as throwing someone under the bus - I am sure what he said in public and what he may have said in the dressing room or to Winks were completely different.

Though it could also be the case that actions spoke louder than words and Winks not playing a single league minute since then is proof of that.

Back
Top Bottom