Moussa Sissoko

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Tanguay had a chance in the first half and Gio had one right at the death

Burnley can aspire all they want but I very much doubt that they could have successfully parked the bus for 90 mins like we did and we still managed two good chances

I still dispute Sonny’s goals against Citeh were lucky

Come on Baz, two good chances? our x/g from that game was 0.23. Lo Celso had the ball outside/edge of the box with a bunch of players around him. That's not a good chance to score. I don't even remember Ndombele having a "chance". We didn't create a single proper chance.

It was a slick move that led to it but Son's goal against City was made by Edderson stupidly coming out and making what would have a shot from the edge of the box with low expected outcome into a much better one, that even then nutmegged him. It's luck when stuff you can't control helps you.

The point t is, parking a bus and countering is an Ok tactic against a much superior opposition, if you use it smart to create chances. we didn't do that enough against city and didn't do it at all against Chelsea - and it's not like Chelsea are Bayern Munich and Lampard is a tactical genius - I've seen teams like Sevilla and Rennes give them harder games.

Well it's a case of chicken or egg isn't it? Is he deployed as a pure human shield because that's all he's good for, or is that all he does because he's being told to do nothing else.

No it's not.... He's deployed to do the job that Jose wants done... He could always play a different player and/or different tactics, but chooses not to.

Last edited:
If that's how XG works I don't want to live anymore.

Tell me 2 better chances City had in that match than Sons goal and GLC's goal.
Add in Kane's offside chance and I'm sure there was another.
Lloris, from memory had one straight on header to save.

Come on Baz, two good chances? our x/g from that game was 0.23. Lo Celso had the ball outside/edge of the box with a bunch of players around him. That's not a good chance to score. I don't even remember Ndombele having a "chance". We didn't create a single proper chance.

It was a slick move that led to it but Son's goal against City was made by Edderson stupidly coming out and making what would have a shot from the edge of the box with low expected outcome into a much better one, that even then nutmegged him. It's luck when stuff you can't control helps you.

The point t is, parking a bus and countering is an Ok tactic against a much superior opposition, if you use it smart to create chances. we didn't do that enough against city and didn't do it at all against Chelsea - and it's not like Chelsea are Bayern Munich and Lampard is a tactical genius - I've seen teams like Sevilla and Rennes give them harder games.
Gio had the ball at his feet with three options
Go right to Harry ....Goal
Go left to Reggie......One on one Goal probably
Or try and chip the keeper which he tried and failed
I was out of my seat when he first got it expecting a goal

Son’s goal against Citeh was made by a brilliant through ball and a sublime finish
I really can’t understand why you’re griping about it

No it's not.... He's deployed to do do the job that Jose wants done... He could always play a different player and/or different tactics, but chooses not to.
I really don’t know how many times we’ve got to tell him this!

Im out

No it's not.... He's deployed to do the job that Jose wants done... He could always play a different player and/or different tactics, but chooses not to.
Maybe because he doesn't have a Wanyama or Kante in the squad and this is the best fit he could find with the players at his disposal.

Like I said, he's adaptable. Doesn't mean Sissoko still doesn't pose a problem when not defending.

Maybe because he doesn't have a Wanyama or Kante in the squad and this is the best fit he could find with the players at his disposal.

Like I said, he's adaptable. Doesn't mean Sissoko still doesn't pose a problem when not defending.

Jose played Bergwijn as #10 a couple of times last season..... Crap idea, but no-one forced him to play that player or the formation that provoked said selection.....

Similarly...

Could we play GLC / PEH / Ndombele instead... Perhaps, but that's just another debate altogether as to whether or not one approves of the gaffas outlook (not an indicator of how good Sissoko is or isn't).

Last edited:
But you can only have 11 players on the pitch. Having to cover for his weaknesses puts us in a worse position when we have the ball, as a result we tend to cough up possession at the slightest bit of pressure, and struggle to build play through the middle.

Son, Kane and Bergwijn do huge amounts of work defensive work, while also being expected to provide goals. Aurier and Regui are tasked with a lot of attacking responsibility cos Sissoko just sucks the life out of our attacks.
bollocks
our defenders cover our attackers when they try and score goals and fail to do so
and the goalkeeper mops up when the defenders fail to stop the ball going in the net

get a grip

If that's how XG works I don't want to live anymore.

Tell me 2 better chances City had in that match than Sons goal and GLC's goal.
Add in Kane's offside chance and I'm sure there was another.
Lloris, from memory had one straight on header to save.
As a stats nerd, I got to say that XG is a statistic that has some use, but it has an absolute ton of weaknesses. It doesn't take into account if the player is under pressure while shooting, shots that aren't taken, specific shooters and i'm sure many other things.

You can't go off XG and get a perfect representation of how the game went. For example, the Kane offside vs man city doesn't get calculated at all even though Son had a great scoring chance.

Over time, it is likely to balance out, but a 1 game sample size is small.

But you can only have 11 players on the pitch. Having to cover for his weaknesses puts us in a worse position when we have the ball, as a result we tend to cough up possession at the slightest bit of pressure, and struggle to build play through the middle.

Son, Kane and Bergwijn do huge amounts of work defensive work, while also being expected to provide goals. Aurier and Regui are tasked with a lot of attacking responsibility cos Sissoko just sucks the life out of our attacks.
Sissoko is def an enigma. He was so poor in possession y'day coughing up possession, hampering the attack and lacking any real ability to pass forward. But defensively he's a must for these types of fixtures in Jose's eyes for his tactical approach. The bigger issue is Sissoko getting the start where Spurs have a majority of possession and his defensive needs are much less needed. Lo Celso should be a given ahead of him for these fixtures and Jose needs to show a little bit more flexibility with his s11 depending on the opposition.

When City broke against us and Ferran Torres was through with other attackers in dangerous positions there was only 1 guy in our squad that could have dealt with that so effectively. Even PEH who is better defensively wouldn't have been able to make up the ground to get there.

Even more amusingly Sissoko didn't win the ball with a tackle. He got side by side and used his physicality to knock the cunt off balance. Torres stumbled into the ball and it went out for a corner. Won't go down as a tackle or interception but it was literally better than both.

Half of the slow ass players from other teams Sissoko haters name as better wouldn't have got within 10 yards of play. Know his role and know yours.

Gio had the ball at his feet with three options
Go right to Harry ....Goal
Go left to Reggie......One on one Goal probably
Or try and chip the keeper which he tried and failed
I was out of my seat when he first got it expecting a goal

Son’s goal against Citeh was made by a brilliant through ball and a sublime finish
I really can’t understand why you’re griping about it
Lo Celso not squaring it to a wide open Kane is absolutely shocking. Especially since Kane set up Lo Celso wonderfully for his first Prem goal vs City. I'd really like to understand his logic behind the decision or was personal glory the over-whelming logic ?

Lo Celso not squaring it to a wide open Kane is absolutely shocking. Especially since Kane set up Lo Celso wonderfully for his first Prem goal vs City. I'd really like to understand his logic behind the decision or was personal glory the over-whelming logic ?
Another poster called it a brain fart
I bet Harry was fuming !!

Sissoko is def an enigma. He was so poor in possession y'day coughing up possession, hampering the attack and lacking any real ability to pass forward. But defensively he's a must for these types of fixtures in Jose's eyes for his tactical approach. The bigger issue is Sissoko getting the start where Spurs have a majority of possession and his defensive needs are much less needed. Lo Celso should be a given ahead of him for these fixtures and Jose needs to show a little bit more flexibility with his s11 depending on the opposition.
Yeah, people here coming up with all sorts of nonsense. Simple answer is that Mou considers him invaluable in the defensive phases, so chooses to accept the losses in possession and attacking phases.

Would he prefer a physical CM like Anguissa who can also deliver a decent pass, jump for a header, etc? Absolutely.

And I think this is something we need to focus on in the january window.

As for what to do with Lo Celso... I suppose we've always wanted top quality depth.

When City broke against us and Ferran Torres was through with other attackers in dangerous positions there was only 1 guy in our squad that could have dealt with that so effectively. Even PEH who is better defensively wouldn't have been able to make up the ground to get there.

Even more amusingly Sissoko didn't win the ball with a tackle. He got side by side and used his physicality to knock the cunt off balance. Torres stumbled into the ball and it went out for a corner. Won't go down as a tackle or interception but it was literally better than both.

Half of the slow ass players from other teams Sissoko haters name as better wouldn't have got within 10 yards of play. Know his role and know yours.
Yes, in the current squad there's no one better for that, but we need to find someone else to do this, someone who can also be useful once goal kick has been given to us.

Such players exist. I'm watching Fulham right now, and Anguissa is running the show. He's a physical specimen similar to Sissoko but he wins aerial duels and launched a great final ball for their counter attacking goal.

Yes, in the current squad there's no one better for that, but we need to find someone else to do this, someone who can also be useful once goal kick has been given to us.

Such players exist. I'm watching Fulham right now, and Anguissa is running the show. He's a physical specimen similar to Sissoko but he wins aerial duels and launched a great final ball for their counter attacking goal.
Sissoko has done it in the champions league when we need a result (Inter for example). He's done it in big games, shut down City this season, shut down United, shut down City numerous times actually the past few seasons. Shut down chavs (shut down Hazard/Kovacic within last few years). He's proven for his role.

Put some respect on his name. Half of these workhorses people want to replace him will look like clumsy donkeys when they have more ball & less time trust me m8.

Him and Winks were our midfield when we got a champions league final and top 4. It was flawed by the proof is in the pudding.

There's a time and a place for him. Like yday and last week.

Sissoko has done it in the champions league when we need a result (Inter for example). He's done it in big games, shut down City this season, shut down United, shut down City numerous times actually the past few seasons. Shut down chavs (shut down Hazard/Kovacic within last few years). He's proven for his role.

Put some respect on his name. Half of these workhorses people want to replace him will look like clumsy donkeys when they have more ball & less time trust me m8.

Him and Winks were our midfield when we got a champions league final and top 4. It was flawed by the proof is in the pudding.

There's a time and a place for him. Like yday and last week.
He has had a fair few really good games, he especially thrives against teams like Dortmund and Ajax who attack with careless abandon. He can just drive right through the little dutch twinks in midfield.

But I still won't accept that he is some rare gem of a player that we shouldn't look to replace, in any case, he's 31, and we don't want a Wanyama/Dembele situation where it takes us nearly 3 years to find a replacement.

Yeah, people here coming up with all sorts of nonsense. Simple answer is that Mou considers him invaluable in the defensive phases, so chooses to accept the losses in possession and attacking phases.

Would he prefer a physical CM like Anguissa who can also deliver a decent pass, jump for a header, etc? Absolutely.

And I think this is something we need to focus on in the january window.

As for what to do with Lo Celso... I suppose we've always wanted top quality depth.
I agree with most of this outside of Lo Celso can def offer something different in spurs s11 which would benefit spurs in certain oppositional situations.

He kicked it so poorly I think he didn’t really know what he wanted to do. Did a half kick but regretting it at the same time. Thing is, he had a bit more time than he gave himself.

Back
Top Bottom