Tottenham Hotspur v. LASK || Europa League Group Stage 03.12.2020

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No, he is Tactical Genius Tactical Genius . But in all seriousness, what is the point of calling someone an idiot for their view of what is happening?

Seriously, we are all here for the same reasons. We all have different views. Enjoy it.
Different of opinions right or wrong should make the forum more active or alive. If we all agreed then it’s the end of the world.

I could be wrong in my whole assessments regarding Lo Celso. But I think with Dele we can set up and move the ball better. Yes, it’s yet to be seen fully if he’s committed to Mourinho management but he has shown us that he’s willing in the last two EL matches.
I’m against lo celso because technically he has shown me to be very poor midfielder. Not poor poor but not the level of teams who want to lift trophies. Not as a starter and certainly not as a game changer IMO. Mou has realized that he’s not a starter and I think tonight he might be doubting if he’s a game changer either.

we’ll see.

Agree, the 4231 gets the best out of Kane/Son and he is not going to mess with that.

Why do we need 4231 to get the best out of Kane/Son, they would be great in a 433

Hojbjerg
Ndombele——————-Lo Celsi

Berg/Bâle/Lam———Kane—————Son

But then we’d also have to want to play football, dominate the ball etc, and I’m just not sure Mourinho wants us to be that animal.

It was cold, it was Thursday night, it was Austria. I said to a mate "Linz looks pretty" and he replied "Oh really I went there and it was mostly destroyed during the war." So I said "I guess it only looked good in the Wikipedia photo."

José was running a self-diagnostic tonight. He expected nothing less than the point, as is evident by his initial substitutions, but his eye is well and truly on standing in the Premier League. Tonight he was looking carefully and critically at several players, while maintaining the attention spans, egos, and energy levels of several others.

Pretty sharp if you ask me. Of course had we actually lost all hell would hit the shit fan.

In his last start, yes... In the one before that, not so much....

Dele has an uphill task ahead of him to get into the first XI.... Ultimately he's got to usurp Sissoko in Jose's plans, not GLC and he's not compatible with that role.
Dele should not start. I’m certainly not advocating for his starting position but as a direct replacement for Ndombele. I think we set up with him better and eventually be a game changer.

lo celso offered little when subbed in against city despite his goal and was non existent against Chelsea. Not to mention in the EL matches Dele had more sparks.

Why do we need 4231 to get the best out of Kane/Son, they would be great in a 433

Hojbjerg
Ndombele——————-Lo Celsi

Berg/Bâle/Lam———Kane—————Son

But then we’d also have to want to play football, dominate the ball etc, and I’m just not sure Mourinho wants us to be that animal.
Having Harry at the tip of the spear gives him maximum control over when to come for the ball, when to push up on the defender etc. He will make the best decisions.
If 3 attackers are pushed forward it is the guys behind that will have to make more decisions and they are light years behind H in football IQ.
Eventually I hope Bale and Kane are joint quarter backs, that would be a real handful for defences with those 2 pulling the strings.

We need Kane or Vinicius acting as a target man to play well. Without either we really struggle

Son is wasted playing as no 9 - best option imo is either Bale (he's got the height and physical presence - he's not as mobile as he was yet but that's not a problem - and knows how to score with head or feet) or Dele (again has physical presence and knows how to score), although neither have scored a lot recently. Both can act as a target men and hold up play to bring others into the game - neither as well as a professional no 9 but probably better than Son

Leave Son to play his natural game with goal scoring threat, preferably with another speedster such as Moura on the other wing - really don't think Moura works as a no 9 despite his heading ability.

Not ideal, but better than wasting Son as no 9.

Ndombele is not best used as an AM,, he's better played deep moving the ball forward, whilst Lo Celso is better played further forward (as he was at Real Betis)

With those changes I think we are better off.

A bit of a risk, but 20/20 hindsight, I think we might have been better off playing White (a DM who has decent forward passing) alongside Hojbjerg rather than deploying Lo Celso further forward as without the ball 'sticking' further forward the cm's were always going to be more under pressure so Hojbjerg supported by White would always be a more robust set up.

Joe Hart really channelled his inner Paul Robinson tonight, so fucking heavy on his feet, we were pretty fucking shit, but he threw all three of their goals in our net. The second was diabolical particularly.

Even if we won this match we'd still have to beat Antwerp to get first in the group so this was a great match to shit the bed.
It's easy to say that but this was another level of 'shit the bed.' we had 60% pass success rate at one point. I don't remember the last time Doherty had made a successful pass. And it wasn't just 1 player...these are the players that needed to prove themselves under Jose's eyes. I'm so disappointed with these players I don't even know what to say anymore.

Mourinho via Instagram: "Training tomorrow but at 12:00." #THFC #COYS

EoVx3uDXMBIW39w

Our sheer inability to string a few decent passes together, even a few basic triangles, was staggering. So many over and under hit efforts, sloppy through balls, needless giveaways and aimless hoofballs. Dreadful stuff truly.

Bring on the NLD as want to banish tonight's dross from memory

Lo Celso is really talented.
He's on some poor form right now, I think his confidence took a hit with that miss against Chelsea. In the long run he'll still be a key player for us.
Good last season and against Newcastle which I think was his last game before he got injured, and I think he's still struggling to get back his match sharpness and rhythm (as Mourinho has mentioned before, not up to speed yet). I don't think he's ready to start in the PL again yet but we've generally not gone down a level when he's stepped in, except maybe Chelsea (but the entire team was p toothless by then). If anything iirc we've tended to look better when he's come on vs Brighton, Burnley, WBA (though their tiring legs have to do with it too).

At work so could only watch highlights and some parts without paying much attention, but the thing that strikes me is how dead asleep everyone on the pitch looked every time they came forward - only one player reacting and even then sluggishly. No effort to intercept or get to the second ball. I think if we showed the same level of alertness we had against City/Chelsea it wouldn't matter if we had a target man or a different formation or not, we should be winning with this lineup, no offense to LASK. The fact they had majority possession and 14 shots shows an awful effort across the board from us not just in attack but in defense, I dunno if tweaking the positions or having a striker would change that.

That lack of focus is esp annoying to see after how switched on we were against Ludogorets - yes tragic opposition, but we were still pressing well and getting to second balls etc. It's cases like these I'd rather play the kids who'd put in maximum effort or hell, more Winks and Dele since they did well against Ludo. Mourinho alluded to that in basically saying some of our first team players can't feel bothered for a cold night in Linz. (Or Antwerp, it looks like. What have our players won they can look down on the Europa League?)

Let's see what the response is on Sunday. It's the NLD, if a player can't motivate himself for that, I don't know what to say!

It's easy to say that but this was another level of 'shit the bed.' we had 60% pass success rate at one point. I don't remember the last time Doherty had made a successful pass. And it wasn't just 1 player...these are the players that needed to prove themselves under Jose's eyes. I'm so disappointed with these players I don't even know what to say anymore.
Yes but as the Antwerp match showed, our European form and our domestic form are really not connected, so I'd much rather contain our poop performances to matches that don't matter.

I think this was the last one in any case!

Back
Top Bottom