Crystal Palace v. Tottenham Hotspur - Sunday, December 13, 2:15 PM GMT

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What fucking game were you watching? Utter nonsense. Parking the bus for 60 minutes. Rubbish.

There’s two teams in a football match we had the better of the first half and opening moments of the second plus the last ten. The home team, a goal down, in front of their fans for the first time were trying to get a goal. If our players could pass better today or not give away stupid free kicks we’d of won.

We won’t win every game. We haven’t lost a league game in 11 matches. If Kane scores at the end it’s a regulation away 2 1 win. There’s some utter bollocks being spouted in this thread.

Rubbish ? Spurs sat back after the goal playing for the 1-0 result....And Palace got what they deserved in the end. Plus you basically agree with my point by openly stating “There’s two teams in a football match we had the better of the first half plus the last ten”. That’s my point...spurs looked really good before the spurs goal and after the Palace goal. Spurs could’ve played that way the entire the game vs parking the bus after a goal. Too defensive in the end via a 1-0 lead.

For the record, from min 1-25 (goal) we had 68% of the ball.

From 25m - 45m that decreased to 47.8%

45-55m we had 61%

56- 81m we had 37%

82-94m we had 79%

Our testicles clearly started shrinking from the moment we scored in the 25th minute until HT. Then had a bit of a huff for ten minutes after HT then they retracted inside our body until they scored, then dropped again for the last 12.

Last edited:
Our big fat whippet breading, king o’ the night clubs, DOF decided spending 30m on Bergwijn was better than 20m on a HG Eze.

We bought Bergwijn in January.........QPR did not want to sell him in January so was not available

(NB. JM apparently thought Eze doesn't track enough so didn't buy in summer - but back in January he might have bought him as we were so short of players).

BTW definitely think Eze would be an asset - probably replacing Lamela in the squad to get a younger injury free HG AM - and we need ton do something similar in the summer, but sadly Eze probably nor available

A lot of people gloating about Liverpool bottling, but we just gave up a golden opportunity to build some kind of cushion over them.

If we had a 2 point lead, we could have gone for a draw, but now that option is no longer viable, because Leicester are 1 point behind, Southampton 2pts and Cheslea 3 point behind.

Palace was a far more winnable game than Liveprool will be.

Last edited by a moderator:
We bought Bergwijn in January.........QPR did not want to sell him in January so was not available

I've heard this said before, but don't really buy it, I'm pretty sure if we'd pushed we could get a player out of a Championship side who I believe were desperate for money as well. Even if we buy and loan him back for the remainder of the season. Or wait, don't spend 30m on Bergwijn and get it done in the summer.

Pretty rare to find someone with his skill set, HG, available for 17m. I couldn't believe we didn't take this punt, considering it was supposedly as good as done a few months before. Even if he flops he'd have cost us 13m less than Bergwijn. seemed like a no brainer.

(NB. JM apparently thought Eze doesn't track enough so didn't buy in summer - but back in January he might have bought him as we were so short of players).

Where did this come from, do you have any quotes ? I thought Eze always worked reasonably well?

BTW definitely think Eze would be an asset - probably replacing Lamela in the squad to get a younger injury free HG AM - and we need ton do something similar in the summer, but sadly Eze probably nor available

17m has turned into 35-40 already I would think.

A lot of people gloating about Liverpool bottling,

"Gloating?" (There's that spin again!)

We're happy because of what it mans to us.

They dropped points; ergo we're still top.

It's called a silver lining... A good thing.

Of course Palace is a more winnable on paper.....

One would also say Palace is also a tougher game on paper than Fulham. I guess that means our result was better than Liverpool's and that combined with us being above them should mean we ought to go there with no fear.

Their keeper made 3-4 outstanding saves - that’s why we didn’t win. Move on to next week.

Still think we didn't test him enough. 1 save first half and it took til palace scored for us to test him 3 times in a couple of minutes. Can't help but think we could have pushed them sooner and tested the keeper more as he proved he drop one too. Think lloris should have come out and punched that free kick. Don't get me wrong he had been great for us but he'll be annoyed with himself

I've heard this said before, but don't really buy it, I'm pretty sure if we'd pushed we could get a player out of a Championship side who I believe were desperate for money as well. Even if we buy and loan him back for the remainder of the season. Or wait, don't spend 30m on Bergwijn and get it done in the summer.

Pretty rare to find someone with his skill set, HG, available for 17m. I couldn't believe we didn't take this punt, considering it was supposedly as good as done a few months before. Even if he flops he'd have cost us 13m less than Bergwijn. seemed like a no brainer.

Where did this come from, do you have any quotes ? I thought Eze always worked reasonably well?

Hopefully we learn from the mistakes of not taking Bowen/Eze/Watkins/Freakish seriously. Considering how much HG seems to hamstring us both on the field and in the xfer market, it's be wise for Levy and ENIC to make improvements in this area.

Eze was a bargain and I too am shocked we didn't take a punt on him. O well, hopefully we can pay a bit more attention at the end of this season. Our attack will need refreshing within 2 seasons with Moura, Lamela and Bale all getting older. Would be great if Sessegnon and Clarke came good for us, but let's be honest- that's not something we should be counting on happening.

Rubbish ? Spurs sat back after the goal playing for the 1-0 result....And Palace got what they deserved in the end. Plus you basically agree with my point by openly stating “There’s two teams in a football match we had the better of the first half plus the last ten”. That’s my point...spurs looked really good before the spurs goal and after the Palace goal. Spurs could’ve played that way the entire the game vs parking the bus after a goal. Too defensive in the end via a 1-0 lead.

Odd. It seems like you're both saying the same thing that the way we played after scoring was poor and were brilliant after palace scored. Jose seems to never want to gamble a lead. Just think it was palace not Chelsea we were playing so could have taken more risks. We couldn't seem to use the counter today. Maybe using kane and son on Thursday was a bad idea

Hopefully we learn from the mistakes of not taking Bowen/Eze/Watkins/Freakish seriously. Considering how much HG seems to hamstring us both on the field and in the xfer market, it's be wise for Levy and ENIC to make improvements in this area.

Eze was a bargain and I too am shocked we didn't take a punt on him. O well, hopefully we can pay a bit more attention at the end of this season. Our attack will need refreshing within 2 seasons with Moura, Lamela and Bale all getting older. Would be great if Sessegnon and Clarke came good for us, but let's be honest- that's not something we should be counting on happening.

Never really got the Clarke thing at all. Didn't see much of him before we bought him, but he certainly didn't seem anything special the bits I saw/have seen. But after paying 10m for him and 30-Onomah for Sessegnon, Eze at 17m seemed like an absolute no brainer. I made the effort to go and watch a few of his QPR games whilst bored last Christmas and really liked what he was about. Quick, strong (hard to knock over), great technically, could dribble, head up and see a pass and scored goals too (and took pens so confident).

Didn't play well enough to get anything JJ? What game were you watching? Need to use ball players instead of stoppers. Yes. This was palace. Dele game on and it helped push us forward. Maybe also because we went hunting but back to Jose football for Wednesday with stoppers and counter attacking again

Think QPR wanted to hang on to him (mid table but still not out of PL contention in January). Also pre-covid I think Eze was getting better known and QPR thought he would be worth more in the summer. Gamble but without covid they might have been right
Only reason he went for £17m is covid - big clubs had no money and nobody had an AM as top of their list last summer, For Palace its a lifesaver to get a player as good (or maybe potentially better) as Zaha for that kind of money due to lack of competition.

Last summer Spurs couldn't sell players (no buyers with $'s for the likes of Lamela, Moura or anyone) so don't think Eze was possible as we had too many other priorities.......even without the 'doesn't track back enough' isssue.

Shame because I'd definitely like to have got a fit HG AM Eze in
No quotes (don't think any manager would say something negative about any player) but a few stories from journos and ITK (although reliability of these is a problem these days)

not sure on the £35m now given covid still gives financial problems to most clubs, but in the covid fre future definitely.

But I do think he's a very good HG AM just coming through at a club where we could buy - better than Hudson-Odoi for example who like others are at clubs who are rivals, unlike QPR. So I am not sure when the next top AM may be available from a non top 10 club who will sell to us - which is why I'd have tried to buy him (but squad size/spaces definitely a problem)

Surely Sess & Clarke are evidence that we do take the Championship seriously as a market (even if a chunk of our fanbase just turn their noses up at the notion of champo or so-called mid-table cast offs like PEH and call it penny pinching).....

It's also not right to overlook the cold hard fact that Villa (Watkins), WH (Bowen), Palace (Eze), Brighton (Lamptey) can all but guarantee these guys an EPL starting place off the bat and you can't blame them for taking the bait bearing in mind that if they prove themselves, they know the big clubs will all be swarming within a season anyway.... Also see Sancho, Bellingham etc.

60 minutes of bus parking up only 1-0 at Selhurst. Can anyone really defend this ? I understand that these tactics have worked in recent weeks but spurs looked very dangerous before Kane’s goal and after Palace’s goal. Why not go toe to toe with Palace up 1-0 ? Spurs surely have the superior talent. Get that second and it’s 3 spurs points. Jose got it so wrong

I think this was a chance to trust Dele much earlier and to create and push Harry and son more forward. But we continued to clear balls long to no one. Looked so good after palace scored and should have could have won but I'm sure with another 5-10 minutes playing that way we'd have got the win.

Been thinking and on another day we win todays match. Its not like we had no good chances. Their keeper made some great saves. That is good when it comes to the game midweek - we played better today than Liverpool did in their game. We look in better shape.

A lot of people gloating about Liverpool bottling, but we just gave up a golden opportunity to build some kind of cushion over them.

If we had a 2 point lead, we could have gone for a draw, but now that option is no longer viable, because Leicester are 1 point behind, Southampton 2pts and Cheslea 3 point behind.

Good god, we have 26 games left. I don’t care if leicester or Southampton pass us next week.

Back
Top Bottom