Spurs vs Leicester City 20 Dec 14:15

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Maybe Leicester were good

Recoveries are just picking up loose balls, no?

Considering how wasteful we were and how sloppy our players touches were, I don't think this is a particularly great stat.

19 is impressive sure, but it highlights just how bad we were.

Very similar. The goal they scored was similar too.

The atmosphere around both games similar too, negativity around transfers and now negativity after falling off the top of the league. Being in an empty stadium is obviously a big challenge in these negative moments.
I get what you're saying about the stadium but I think overall Jose and the team have actually benefited from no crowd, generally pretty rubbish play with no ambition combined with mediocre results, I think would have lead to the atmos being a little poisonous at times tbh. Jose would be far, far grumpier too because it would be clear he is not adored, which is what he expects and demands or he sulks.

A year is long enough.... garbage? We are seriously melting. Jose has had one window for crying out loud and surely we knew Liverpool were not going to be challenged by us. The kind of season it is turning out to be, it is realistic for us to get into the top 4. The aurier challenge just handed the game to them. We get in at half time 0-0 then it could be a different game. Apart from kane, son, n'dombele, hojbjerg, regi, Toby there is not enough quality in the team. I am.sure Jose did not want bale and wanted better then Doherty.

Relax it is a long season.

Yes, no, maybe. Is any form of doubt or dissatisfaction automatically “melting”.

Isn’t part of the joy and purpose of football the dissecting and discussing and that isn’t all going to be happy clapping.

You’re quoting my reply to someone who said this is about a couple of bad results. I’m merely pointing out that it isn’t.

And I’m not a believer in some bullshit “spurs way” either.

I don’t care if we aren’t playing ticky tacker football as long as what we are playing looks well coached and is effective. If we’re gonna be pragmatic then let’s at least do it well, be aggressive, not fucking passive.

Mourinho has had two windows and 14 months. This squad isn’t Liverpool good but should we be below Everton, Solskjaer's ManU and Leicester? Should we have been outplayed in 2 of games against those three (and the other had 10 men)?

It’s not all bad points wise, but performances have largely been pretty insipid haven’t they? And considering the squad we have, we are not exactly over achieving either are we?

Last edited:
Leicester were terrible. They did absolutely nothing to deserve winning the game. We handed them two goals, and other wise Hugo had nothing to do.

We were also poor in the first half, but I didn't have a huge problem with how we played until the penalty. I believe if we had gotten to half 0-0 we would've drawn worst case and probably won.
Leicester were terrible. They did absolutely nothing to deserve winning the game. We handed them two goals, and other wise Hugo had nothing to do.

We were also poor in the first half, but I didn't have a huge problem with how we played until
Might’ve
*Would’ve

Jose is a coward. He is so frightened of what the opposition might do rather than concentrate on what we are good at. He has been found out now, not surprising as his tactics are so basic. Has he got a Plan B. No. Will he change his tactics. No. Will he rotate in this hectic schedule coming up. Of course not because he loses trust in players too easily - one mistake,OK - make another mistake and you’re out. Shame Levy won’t a-ply that policy to Jose

Wow! Another one!
You need to channel your anger in other ways, mate
SpiderSpurs SpiderSpurs is a prick right?

Leicester were terrible. They did absolutely nothing to deserve winning the game. We handed them two goals, and otherwise Hugo had nothing to do.
Ed
We were also poor in the first half, but I didn't have a huge problem with how we played until the penalty. I believe if we had gotten to half 0-0 we would've drawn worst case and probably won.
What a load of rubbish, they completely bossed the game and could of had a few more. Thought they were excellent and most of their team would walk into ours. We have Son and Kane who they would want and it would make them real title contenders. We lose those 2 we are mid to lower table

What a load of rubbish, they completely bossed the game and could of had a few more. Thought they were excellent and most of their team would walk into ours. We have Son and Kane who they would want and it would make them real title contenders. We lose those 2 we are mid to lower table
A relegation battle with woolwich would be interesting :levywhoa:

Very true at worst like last season we’d throw in the towel and say wish we could jump to start of 21/22 season😀

Some time has passed, but I have still not fully understood what the FUCK happened there in Leicester game...

But I have few hypothesis, most likely it was combination of those things -
1) Mental hangover from past 2 games that we lost (yea, sorry, Palace game we lost 1:1, that 1 point means losing). Specially the last one took immense energy - both, mental and physical. And in the end we lost it in dying seconds.
2) Tiredness of players. Kane and Son have both started every single EPL game. On top of this, Son also played at least 30 minute in every EL game (except 1) + 2 qualifiers in full. Kane has had full 90 in every league game + played in all 3 qualifiers in EL + at least half an hour in every 2nd EPL group game. And we know what this is down to. Those 2 are ONLY goalthreats in the side right now. Bale, Vinicius, Bergwijn, Lucas, Lamela - sorry but they have all failed. In the sense that... let's face it, if one would have been out from Leicester game, we would have shit ourselves from fear. Cause no one exept for them is able to deliver goals. I am not putting that game results on their shoulders, but they are carrying the attack and it could be seen from their touches - they were not fresh.
3) Attitude. You can say all you want about our defensive approach to this game, but... were we even defending?!? I would not say, it was lethargic display from all around.
4) Unlucky circumstances. And despite all that - we were going to the interval 0:0. If not for Aurier outrageous fuck-up. Even if we'd have had 90% of the ball and 15 shots on target during half time, if we would have been on 0:0, this kind of penalty influences game dynamics. And then, Ndombele is taken off during half-time, and within 2 minutes our other creative midfielder gets injured. It is hard to be ready or prepared for this.

All that being said, to prevent some trolls taking my words and running off, I'd like to say that of course Mourinho has to take significant part of the blame. For tiredness- I believe Son and Kane should have gotten more of a rest, like in 2nd Antwerp game when we were leading anyways. For attitude and hangover - it is gaffers job to get the team going.

Yes, no, maybe. Is any form of doubt or dissatisfaction automatically “melting”.

Isn’t part of the joy and purpose of football the dissecting and discussing and that isn’t all going to be happy clapping.

You’re quoting my reply to someone who said this is about a couple of bad results. I’m merely pointing out that it isn’t.

I don’t care if we aren’t playing ticky tacker football as long as what we are playing looks well coached and is effective. If we’re gonna be pragmatic then let’s at least do it well, be aggressive, not fucking passive.

Mourinho has had two windows and 14 months. This squad isn’t Liverpool good but should we be below Everton, Solskjaer's ManU and Leicester? Should we have been outplayed in 2 of games against those three (and the other had 10 men)?

It’s not all bad points wise, but performances have largely been pretty insipid haven’t they? And considering the squad we have, we are not exactly over achieving either are we?

Below Everton and Leicester? put it into context. There was always 5 points between us at the top and down to 5th which is where we are. The palace draw was poor when we had a long time to change the game when it was obvious it was one way. The Liverpool game was unlucky. We didn't deserve to lose. We played the perfect game away at anfield even when we came out more second half. Leicester was always about the first goal and they are the best in the league in my opinion, at playing on the counter. In all those games we missed chances that would win the game or yesterday it would out us right back in it. Chelsea spend quarter of a million in one window and are just about above us. They lost two games just like we just have but we lost one away at anfield which most teams will and lost another against Leicester which again is no shame as they are doing well last and this season. Jose hasn't really had two windows really. What could he do in January. So he's just had the summer. Our squad isn't really as good as it's made out. Kane and son don't score then we don't win. No goals from anywhere else. No real cover for hojberg either and n'dombele and gio can be indifferent. Aurier is aurier and sissoko is not great when we need to chase games. The rest on the bench are players Jose doesn't seem to like and you could argue they should be sold eg Dele and winks, lucus. Bale can't really cut it. So the squad still needs work.and Jose needs another summer window. I don't think we are over or under achieving. Compared to other teams we seem to be where we should be really. A win Sunday and any team around us dropping points and things change again. Long season. Top 4+ a cup still realistic

Last edited:
Below Everton and Leicester? put it into context. There was always 5 points between us at the top and down to 5th which is where we are. The palace draw was poor when we had a long time to change the game when it was obvious it was one way.

The Palace game was poor because Mourinho once again opted for selections geared toward "safety" for the first phase of a match that was always going to see us dominate early on and because, as is most often the case, as soon as we scored we immediately started to shell.

The Liverpool game was unlucky. We didn't deserve to lose. We played the perfect game away at anfield even when we came out more second half.

Again, ignoring the less than perfect first half that was limp and passive, which allowed Liverpool to get into our box several times, they just wanked up the chances. For 15 minutes we after HT we got a bit more aggressive, and we did have the better chances in that game, but we once again became too passive the more the game got on and like Palace, paid a price.

Leicester was always about the first goal

Why? We had loads of time to get an equaliser and winner? Are Leicester so good we should give up if they score first?
Kane and son don't score then we don't win. No goals from anywhere else.
And a big part of that is the way we are set up to play much of the time, deep block and hump the ball out to Kane and Son and hope they produce something. This is a point I made, when we have to try and dictate or take some initiative we look clueless, our movement is awful, no pattern or tempo
No real for hojberg either and n'dombele and gio can be indifferent.

Might help if we tried playing them in a CM3 instead of constantly playing a CM2 with a player like Sissoko, as you say:
sissoko is not great when we need to chase games.

The rest on the bench are players Jose doesn't seem to like and you could argue they should be sold eg Dele and winks, lucus. Bale can't really cut it. So the squad still needs work.and Jose needs another summer window. I don't think we are over or under achieving. Compared to other teams we seem to be where we should be really. A win Sunday and any team around us dropping points and things change again. Long season. Top 4+ a cup still realistic

Southampton, Villa, West Ham are all a a couple of points of us as well, their squads are nowhere near ours.

I don't think were are massively underachieving in terms of points, but I don't think we are overachieving either.

We skanked a win against ManC, apart from that we've beat no-one great - or who we shouldn't be beating.

I'm not incandescent with rage, I'm just a bit fucking non plussed.

Hasn’t everyone been saying we have cover for every position, this a great squad with players jose wanted ? Can’t now change tune saying it’s not strong. May be we just arnt getting the best out of the players at our disposal. The transfer window on the whole everyone said was one of best in recent years. All the pundits as well saying how strong our squad looked. May be a tactical change with players doing what they are best and not having keep chasing back for 90 minutes might make the players look good. I think we can do it. I think one of our best performances this season has been the 2nd half against chelski in the caraboa where we went at them and played with pace. Much better football and watch.

The Palace game was poor because Mourinho once again opted for selections geared toward "safety" for the first phase of a match that was always going to see us dominate early on and because, as is most often the case, as soon as we scored we immediately started to shell.

Again, ignoring the less than perfect first half that was limp and passive, which allowed Liverpool to get into our box several times, they just wanked up the chances. For 15 minutes we after HT we got a bit more aggressive, and we did have the better chances in that game, but we once again became too passive the more the game got on and like Palace, paid a price.

Why? We had loads of time to get an equaliser and winner? Are Leicester so good we should give up if they score first?

And a big part of that is the way we are set up to play much of the time, deep block and hump the ball out to Kane and Son and hope they produce something. This is a point I made, when we have to try and dictate or take some initiative we look clueless, our movement is awful, no pattern or tempo

Might help if we tried playing them in a CM3 instead of constantly playing a CM2 with a player like Sissoko, as you say:

Southampton, Villa, West Ham are all a a couple of points of us as well, their squads are nowhere near ours.

I don't think were are massively underachieving in terms of points, but I don't think we are overachieving either.

We skanked a win against ManC, apart from that we've beat no-one great - or who we shouldn't be beating.

I'm not incandescent with rage, I'm just a bit fucking non plussed.

Agree on palace and to a degree about Leicester. We did go and try and equalise, we did not give up but seem to be without ideas against a team like Leicester that do exactly what we do but better. they are a masterclass in countering and once we lose our shape we seem all over the place which is why Jose sets up the way we he does. He needs to get the balance though. After palace scored we looked good and only just ran out of time too little too late. I don't think our setup first half against the best club team around right now was wrong but strangely second half we took the game to them and again looked good. We deserved to win or at least draw that. It was fine margins between win draw and a loss. We did not skank a win against city. We deserved it. You say we didn't best anyone we shouldn't but if games are won on paper we should lose against city Chelsea, Liverpool, United and beat Newcastle, west ham maybe Leicester. Chelsea spent a hell of a lot more money than us on a team already had lots spent on it yet they lost two games, draw a few. No one is catching Liverpool and it's the best of the rest we need to stay amongst.

Still think Jose is building and is first getting us to be solid. Our squad is not yet where it should be and I still think he needs another summer window. Yes Southampton and Everton are around us but we are also around Chelsea and United who could not beat us away from home. Aside from the cup game the wolves game is massive and we should go there to make a statement. Then it's Fulham. Winnable.

A relegation battle with woolwich would be interesting :levywhoa:
torture GIF by SYFY

Wernt we like 1st 2 games ago? Or did i imagine that?
The leagues tight this year we could easily be top again in January..
I feel like people wait till we lose so they can come out the woodwork and slate the team, when about 2 weeks ago pundits and fans were raving about us lol now 2 losses and were suddenly shit, bore off ya melts..

God knows how United leapfrogged us in to third. Crazy fucking year. Starting to be clear that Son and Kane need breaks, both of them are absolute work horses. The amount of games Sonny alone has played in the last few seasons are mind boggling to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom