Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah and he did the same with ndombele against Burnley he didn’t actually name him but everyone was in no doubt who he was referring to! Whether the journo asked him or he just poured an oil tanker over it. He was asked a similar question about Auriers stupid challenge on Sunday he didn’t respond in the same way.
This sort of thing will be noticed by players who will either stand up fir their mate or go into their shell and won’t even try anything like that again as they will be too scared to try it. Hence just kick the ball long aimlessly is not criticised but a trying something a bit more adventurous is slammed. Wonder what he would have done with cantona?
If the players are dropping the ball because the manager points out that we cannot afford silly mistakes and then not cleaning them up (which is what Joses entire answer to this boils down to), then they should probably not be playing competitive football at this level.

This was not some form of character suicide on Dele by Jose.

Something's fishy with this explanation. It's all example-y and reasonable. Therefore, I think it's wrong and am going to say the proper explanation is "Agenda". Jose hates Dele and it's as simple as that. At least that's what Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 and Blanchflower Blanchflower tell me.
I've absolutely no idea what's going on.

But I've seen Jose (and other managers too) single out a top player in the side before, use it as a power play, use it as an example to the team to say that "it could be you" kind of message. I've used it similar too in the past, had the top Salesman in the company playing the big swinging dick asked for a raise, so I said sorry your unhappy with what we are paying you, best you look for another job. He was gone in 3 days.

I've also speculated that he can't find the right buttons to push but used Poch as the example as he also said he was a unique challenge in that he got bored easily.

I've also speculated that it could be a player that could raise serious money from if we sell, so this is the beginning of this process.

I do know that when he's played he's been way better than Doherty, Lucas, Bale, Davies, Sanchez and Winks and not one of these players gets the same treatment.

Last edited:
I think it ends badly for both of them over this
Why? I listened to the press conf in question and it really was nothing more than honest criticism.

I don't get why people are pissed off at these particular comments. It really doesn't boil down to anything more than "If we make mistakes we have to clean up after ourselves and in this scenario we didn't".

This is what Jose was referring to:

The ball ends up with the Stoke keeper before the move that started the goal, so it would be like getting mad at Kane for giving up a goal kick. It's a bit ridiculous.

Depends how Jose sees it. Me as viewer puts it on poor positioning from Sanchez and Doherty.

Jose might see it as a needless giveaway in our own half, Dele went with the more difficult and extravagant option rather than just holding the ball or playing it simple to his right.

It’s a bit difficult to see Kane’s position in the video, it looks like if Dele were to get it to Lucas or Kane, we’d likely get a goal scoring opportunity. Instead, we never see the ball after the giveaway and concede 27 secs later.

Fans may not see it but I’m sure its small things like this that bother managers and coaches quite a bit.

Depends how Jose sees it. Me as viewer puts it on poor positioning from Sanchez and Doherty.

Jose might see it as a needless giveaway in our own half, Dele went with the more difficult and extravagant option rather than just holding the ball or playing it simple to his right.

It’s a bit difficult to see Kane’s position in the video, it looks like if Dele were to get it to Lucas or Kane, we’d likely get a goal scoring opportunity. Instead, we never see the ball after the giveaway and concede 27 secs later.

Fans may not see it but I’m sure its small things like this that bother managers and coaches quite a bit.
Fans want to be entertained watching football. There is nothing wrong with that.

Managers want to win games and some of them are willing to sacrifice a bit of flair to do that. Again nothing wrong with that.

YES!

It didn't come off, but I want to see Spurs attack like this, I want to us we take risks. I don't want to watch fucking paint dry every fucking game (that includes those that we win).
You'd rather see unnecessary risk taken to excite you rather than a player making the simple 10yd ball to Lucas? Your hatred of Mou has clouded your judgment to BC/Sissoko levels. Square ball out to Lucas. Lucas driving forward lays off the harry pulling central and Harry slips in Sonny in behind...goal! Lightning and efficient.

But you'd rather see another one of Dele's aimless flicks that we have suffered for years now? Take another look at that video. Even if that flick had connect what then? NOTHING. There was nothing on that way. But your hatred of Mou has you out here arguing nonsense. Even if you want to see 'risky play' you want the risk to be taken for some gain in the end? there was no gain to be had with the choice Dele took. He tried flash for no reason. It's part of the reason so many attack go to die with him. The other part is that he is technically shit and balls bounce off of him.

Can't wait for him to be gone!

If the players are dropping the ball because the manager points out that we cannot afford silly mistakes and then not cleaning them up (which is what Joses entire answer to this boils down to), then they should probably not be playing competitive football at this level.

This was not some form of character suicide on Dele by Jose.
I agree to some extent but then this sort of shit happens every game where we lose the ball or give it away cheaply and it leads to a goal. Davies fucked up big time against Antwerp, Serge and sissoko again tat both spam and Leicester. Yet these don’t seem to tickle JM as much as one flick which was 5 phases of play later to when the goal was scored. Remember JMs first game v spammers and Dele was by the touch line on the ground and made an outrageous flick to keep the ball in play and we scored from it I think. Was he or anyone criticising him then for doing it?
Yes dele has underperformed for a while although he wasn’t too bad today he was pressing and making good runs. What if he scored from one his attempts today and still made that flick would he still deserve to get castigated?

Why? I listened to the press conf in question and it really was nothing more than honest criticism.

I don't get why people are pissed off at these particular comments. It really doesn't boil down to anything more than "If we make mistakes we have to clean up after ourselves and in this scenario we didn't".

Because this is all part of a cultural difference between Mourino and Spurs - do you want your attacking midfielder to always take the safe option and never create a chance or do you want them to take the odd risk and open the game up?

Fact is we are still so shit in defence that we have to play only two upfront every game - that's Mourinho's fault not Alli's

I'm not sure you really understand what is happening. Have you perhaps had a whiff of the cork?

I said Dele was poor earlier in the thread, you disagreed. You then cited you didn't rate Mourinho and that twitter backed up this opinion by saying Dele was MOTM. When I said he wasn't even close you then claim the penny has dropped.

You are not as clever as you think, in fact you've gone full batshit stupid crazy on this!!
There is a backlash against Jose right now. This is taking the form of Spurs fans voting him MOTM even though he only completed 66mins (It's the Clubs Twitter vote)! And obviously their vocal response too.

FWIW
I thought he was the best player on the park in the first half. I don't think or recall my disagreement with you on your thoughts on Dele, even though I do vehemently disagree if you think he was poor.

There is a backlash against Jose right now. This is taking the form of Spurs fans voting him MOTM even though he only completed 66mins (It's the Clubs Twitter vote)! And obviously their vocal response too.

FWIW
I thought he was the best player on the park in the first half. I don't think or recall my disagreement with you on your thoughts on Dele, even though I do vehemently disagree if you think he was poor.
You really are the gift that keeps on giving, never change Prof.

You'd rather see unnecessary risk taken to excite you rather than a player making the simple 10yd ball to Lucas? Your hatred of Mou has clouded your judgment to BC/Sissoko levels. Square ball out to Lucas. Lucas driving forward lays off the harry pulling central and Harry slips in Sonny in behind...goal! Lightning and efficient.

But you'd rather see another one of Dele's aimless flicks that we have suffered for years now? Take another look at that video. Even if that flick had connect what then? NOTHING. There was nothing on that way. But your hatred of Mou has you out here arguing nonsense. Even if you want to see 'risky play' you want the risk to be taken for some gain in the end? there was no gain to be had with the choice Dele took. He tried flash for no reason. It's part of the reason so many attack go to die with him. The other part is that he is technically shit and balls bounce off of him.

Can't wait for him to be gone!
I want our players to be encouraged to take risks. I hate players to be asked to play without any risk. It's the cornerstone of my dislike to the dogshit we watch every week.

I would prefer to play like Leeds than like Jose's Spurs.

Dele was by the touch line on the ground and made an outrageous flick to keep the ball in play and we scored from it I think. Was he or anyone criticising him then for doing it?
that was improvised to keep the ball in play, a little bit different to trying a blind flick, when theres a player in acres of space in front of you and its a simple side foot pass to him to break into the opposition half. hes too pretentious to be in a serious side with ambitions of actually winning big things

That stupid flick completely killed a 4 on 4 counter attack. A decent chance at scoring a goal, especially against a championship defence.

Those people that want to watch a game of fancy flicks and tricks, futsal is right up your street.

I honestly think he's just too stupid/doesn't understand the game well enough to learn from his mistakes.

I want our players to be encouraged to take risks. I hate players to be asked to play without any risk. It's the cornerstone of my dislike to the dogshit we watch every week.

I would prefer to play like Leeds than like Jose's Spurs.
that wasnt a risk, it was possession suicide. its ok though, as long as he flukes 1/10 in 5 years time it will make a good youtube video.

Back
Top Bottom