Europa League 2020-21 - Quest For Glory

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I´ve been reading some worrying things about this Zagreb team. Please tell me if you agree with most (or at least some) of this. Thanks.

"
St-Petkovic he will be sold for 20 mil this summer , Croatian national team first choice striker , late bloomer but honestly he is top top striker; tall , dribles very well

GK-Livakovic 1st choice croatian national team gk , my opinion is that he is the best gk in europa leauge

LB- Gvardiol he was sold last summer for 20-25 mil to rb leipzig and loand to dinamo this year , he is the next upamecano

CB-sold older defender with 200 apps in top 5 leauges and a prospect that dinamo bough5 for 5 mil last summer

CM Majer - media calls him next modric im not sure but he is a prospect

CM-Ademi capitan, he had 2 year suspension few years ago and dinamo kept paying him and extended his contract this is a top top quality player only reason he is still in dinamo is loyality

LW- Orsic , honestly this guy is Stevie b quality player.

So basically good defensivly , they press alot , and conceded only 1 goal in group stage and didnt lose a game

"

Bigging up the opposition so if we win (as we should do reasonably comfortably over 2 legs), then Mourinho masterclass., and if we somehow get knocked out, it is because good team, and to be expected based on their players.

Got your game.

Yes they got through group conceding 1 goal, but when you consider the other team that comfortably got out of that group were Wolsberger AC, who they beat 3-0 and 1-0 I don't think that is too much to shout about. They are conceding as many goals per game in their own domestic league as we are in the Premier League.

Last edited:
Not an easy draw but im confident over 2 games we will get past these, then we are in the Semi Finals

Don't think my heart could take us playing against an English team in this competition this late on
If everything goes well and we do qualify, we will be in the Quarter-finals.
Mate.. Newcastle got £30m for Sissoko. I wouldn't worry about how much their players are worth.

Also.. 'The next Upamecano'? What is this? Childsplay.
I´m not saying the guy who wrote it is a professional (and imparcial) scout, I asked one of their fans if there´s any truth in it.
Bigging up the opposition so if we win (as we should do reasonably comfortably over 2 legs), then Mourinho masterclass., and if we somehow get knocked out, it is because good team, and to be expected based on their players.

Got your game.

Yes they got through group conceding 1 goal, but when you consider the other team that comfortably got out of that group were Wolsberger AC, who they beat 3-0 and 1-0 I don't think that is too much to shout about.
"Got your game"...

Calm down, mate. I know their team probably as much as you do, I´m just trying to find more informations. And from the informations I´m getting so far, they won´t be an easy team to beat - even though it´s our obligation to do it.

COYS

By all means, just because this is one of the easier draws - it doesn't mean it's easy.

Spurs have had 'easy' draws in Europe for over a decade and how many European cups have we won within that time?

Shakhtar? Basel? Fiorentina? Gent?
Remember when we were all happy about drawing RBL in the Champions League too?

None of the draws at this point are easy, but we should win if we take it seriously.

Based on what do you think Dinamo Zagreb is a weak team ?

We already lost once against a very weak team such as Gent in this phase. We should not underestimate anyone.

We have a few class players such as Gareth, but Gareth is not what he used to be. I am mentioning Bale because he already smashed Dinamo 10 years ago when we also had the best midfielder of all time, Luka Modric.
Simply because they are one of the weaker teams left in the competition.
But don't just take my word for it....

Ranked 15th of the remaining 16 teams, only Molde behind them.

I haven't under estimated them either.

I assume you are a Croatian, but try not to get overly defensive it wasn't an attack just a statement of fact.

None of the draws at this point are easy, but we should win if we take it seriously.

I think we should be very disappointed if we fail to qualify - but no one should be expecting absolute dominance over two legs and a high scoring aggregate score.

The difference between a good draw in the CL knockout stages and EL knockout stages is massive.

I don't think we should send out our U-21's but our B team is better than their A team.

They just played Krasnodar and the games were 3-2 and 1-0 that is far from impressive. As mentioned in the group stage they beat Wolfsberger 3-0 and 1-0, I think our U-21's likely could beat Wolfsberger 1-0.

It isn't a guaranteed walkover, but about as close as it comes at this stage. It is a draw that we should be able to win without playing Son, Kane, Ndombele, PEH, Reguilon if we want to rest them.

I don't understand all the people getting mortally offended at suggestions that Dynamo Zagreb might be an easier draw.

If we had drawn Man Utd or Roma for example we would be saying its a tough draw, It's no different stating we drew one of the weaker teams.

Stating that doesn't mean that anybody thinks its going to be a walk over or that we are already in the next round or that we are somehow disrespecting Croatian football.

Jesus people get a grip.

The next big thing is thrown around far too much.

I haven't seen him play, so can't really judge, but he's done it in the Croatian league? The step up to one of the big 5 leagues will be the real test.
I cannot agree more about this statement. Gvardiol is talented, but in fact I would say the only big thing is between his legs for now. He will need a lot of training and practice with some big boys to be a great or even good player.

Gary or Lamela could do wonders against him.

I don't understand all the people getting mortally offended at suggestions that Dynamo Zagreb might be an easier draw.

If we had drawn Man Utd or Roma for example we would be saying its a tough draw, It's no different stating we drew one of the weaker teams.

Stating that doesn't mean that anybody thinks its going to be a walk over or that we are already in the next round or that we are somehow disrespecting Croatian football.

Jesus people get a grip.
The way we’ve been playing they probably think they got the easier draw lol

Will definitely not be easy. But if we take it seriously it should be enough while having 2-3 players rested from the first team. They won their group where WAC was second beating them 1:0 and 3:0 in their games. Hard to judge as they did not have any great teams in the EL yet this season (Feyenoord, ZSKA, WAC and Krasnodar)

People being all "lmao we will stomp some farmers" for this draw may end up regretting it. How many times have we stumbled against "farmers" over the years? Far too many if you ask me.

At this point in a tournament there are no do-overs. Take the opponent seriously (this mainly goes out to the players, but some fans could learn this lesson as well). They have the best defensive record in the tournament for a reason.

I´ve been reading some worrying things about this Zagreb team. Please tell me if you agree with most (or at least some) of this. Thanks.

"
St-Petkovic he will be sold for 20 mil this summer , Croatian national team first choice striker , late bloomer but honestly he is top top striker; tall , dribles very well

GK-Livakovic 1st choice croatian national team gk , my opinion is that he is the best gk in europa leauge

LB- Gvardiol he was sold last summer for 20-25 mil to rb leipzig and loand to dinamo this year , he is the next upamecano

CB-sold older defender with 200 apps in top 5 leauges and a prospect that dinamo bough5 for 5 mil last summer

CM Majer - media calls him next modric im not sure but he is a prospect

CM-Ademi capitan, he had 2 year suspension few years ago and dinamo kept paying him and extended his contract this is a top top quality player only reason he is still in dinamo is loyality

LW- Orsic , honestly this guy is Stevie b quality player.

So basically good defensivly , they press alot , and conceded only 1 goal in group stage and didnt lose a game

"
Petkovic is true. Late bloomer, starting striker for Croatia at the moment.
Livakovic is a top GK, one of the best in EL, first choice for Croatia.
Gvardiol that is true, although they play him at LB primarily as he is technically very good.
Majer is no Modric, skinny, blond and Croatian, but here is where it stops.
Ademi - true, he is there as a loyalty thing. Dinamo basically saved his career and enabled his livelihood while under suspension.
Orsic is good and found his place in this Dinamo team. Very dangerous on the counter.
CB - Teophile Catherine played for Cardiff in PL, Rennes and St. Ettienne and far from washed up as he is only 31. The other guy is Danish international Lauritsen.

Back
Top Bottom