Europa League 2020-21 - Quest For Glory

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Is everyone hyping up the same Milan here? They’re shit! Scraped into the EL beating Rio ave on pens won on away goals vs red star Belgrade this is not early 00s Milan
United are on another level & will beat them. They are the team to beat in the Europa.

They have the best defensive record in the tournament because of their opponents.
To some extent. Tottenham also had a shitty group, Villarreal as well, Woolwich's group is not much to brag either, that Hoffenheim group looks very bad as well.

Roughly the same Dinamo team beat Atalanta 4-0, fell away at City after 80+ minutes, got Shakhtar on the ropes twice where they dropped a 2 goal lead with 8 minutes left. Got Benfica into extra time 2 years ago in the 1/8 final of the EL. Cruised past Krasnodar which had a decent run in their CL group.

Tottenham is a much better side, this is a good draw for your team, but don't assume it's going to neccesairly going to be a cakewalk.

Yeo - remember it well.

It wasn't just that miss though, they peppered Utd's goal all game. The same player missed an unmarked header 5yrds out (put it wide) it was a bigger chance than the one he missed with the least kick of the game, Romaro was their MoTM pulling of about 4 saves in first half, there were about 4 massive chances in the 2nd half that were just wide, Baily should have been sent off as well as Valencia and no one knows why the CV player was shown a red in the same flair up. Blind too escaped a red card for hyperextending (making it a deliberate attempt to injure the player) his leg in a miss-timed tackle.

The old "master-class" got rolled out despite them getting absolutely bossed.

They then went on to play a U19's side in the final.

It wasn't just that miss though, they peppered Utd's goal all game. The same player missed an unmarked header 5yrds out (put it wide) it was a bigger chance than the one he missed with the least kick of the game, Romaro was their MoTM pulling of about 4 saves in first half, there were about 4 massive chances in the 2nd half that were just wide, Baily should have been sent off as well as Valencia and no one knows why the CV player was shown a red in the same flair up. Blind too escaped a red card for hyperextending (making it a deliberate attempt to injure the player) his leg in a miss-timed tackle.

The old "master-class" got rolled out despite them getting absolutely bossed.

They then went on to play a U19's side in the final.

Yeah - they were very lucky that day. As they were throughout the whole competition.

St Etienne
Rostov
Anderlecht
Celta Vigo
Ajax

Is a piss easy route to CL football.

So..
Dinamo is every season in Europe, but last couple of seasons they really stepped up.
Their defense is good even for this EL standard.
Attacking-wise, they have couple of young talented players with 2 bit more experiance in Orsic and Petkovic.

Livakovic - GK - 1st choice for Croatia, he'll be sold in the summer, talented. Probably with Subasic best we've had.

Gvardiol - CB who plays often as LB, the best potential I've seen from our country as centre-back. Leipzig bought him for 20M at 18yo and gave him on loan until the summer.
Lauritsen and Theophile-Catherine are two solid CBs with european experiance, bought for a lot of money for our standards.

Ademi - Macedonian international, even though if there wasn't suspension, he would played for Croatia. Passionate player, captain, similar to Hojbjerg in that sense.

Majer is replacement for Dani Olmo. He's not quite as Olmo, but still talented enough for top 5 leagues.

Orsic is 28yo, only introduced to Croatia NT 2 years ago when he came back home. But I think he's better than Bergwijn. Really stepped up, he's best player of this team and most threating.

Petkovic is another player who came back home and relive his career. He'll probanly be our firat choice at Euros, so you'll see him more. Good on zhe ball, tehnique-wise top talent, but his head is a mess sometimes. That's why he had problems during career. But nowadays seem more calm.

I'm not gonna write about every player, but...

Dinamo was too of the group with CSKA, Feeyenors and WAC, conceding inly one goal. They are such a unit as a team, not like years before where they often collapsed.
Last year they were in Cl group and should have go into next round but Shahktar came from 3-1 in Zagreb to get a draw.
They did beat Atalanta 4-0 at home.
Draw with Shaktar twice but they were better team in bith games.

So, dangerous team, and we should put out our beat team no doubt. We should go through, but there were easier draws outhere.

So..
Dinamo is every season in Europe, but last couple of seasons they really stepped up.
Attacking-wise, they have couple of young talented players with 2 bit more experiance in Orsic and Petkovic.

Livakovic - GK - 1st choice for Croatia, he'll be sold in the summer, talented. Probably with Subasic best we've had.

Gvardiol - CB who plays often as LB, the best potential I've seen from our country as centre-back. Leipzig bought him for 20M at 18yo and gave him on loan until the summer.
Lauritsen and Theophile-Catherine are two solid CBs with european experiance, bought for a lot of money for our standards.

Ademi - Macedonian international, even though if there wasn't suspension, he would played for Croatia. Passionate player, captain, similar to Hojbjerg in that sense.

Majer is replacement for Dani Olmo. He's not quite as Olmo, but still talented enough for top 5 leagues.

Orsic is 28yo, only introduced to Croatia NT 2 years ago when he came back home. But I think he's better than Bergwijn. Really stepped up, he's best player of this team and most threating.

Petkovic is another player who came back home and relive his career. He'll probanly be our firat choice at Euros, so you'll see him more. Good on zhe ball, tehnique-wise top talent, but his head is a mess sometimes. That's why he had problems during career. But nowadays seem more calm.

Dinamo was too of the group with CSKA, Feeyenors and WAC, conceding inly one goal. They are such a unit as a team, not like years before where they often collapsed.
Last year they were in Cl group and should have go into next round but Shahktar came from 3-1 in Zagreb to get a draw.

So, dangerous team, and we should put out our beat team no doubt. We should go through, but there were easier draws outhere.
I completely agree with everything said here. We need to take caution and do the best we can.

Yeah - they were very lucky that day. As they were throughout the whole competition.

St Etienne
Rostov
Anderlecht
Celta Vigo
Ajax

There were loads of similarities with them as there are with us now. Their fans absolutely hating how they played, that semi they tried (but failed as the oppo routinely peppered their goal and getting behind them numerous times) to play a low-block, they had 30% possession against VC!! They were outshot almost 2 to 1 and they scored from one of their only 2 good chances (their keeper making a good save with the other).

Taking a mega expensively assembled squad, a huge football Club and have them play like the plucky underdog.

The next big thing is thrown around far too much.

I haven't seen him play, so can't really judge, but he's done it in the Croatian league? The step up to one of the big 5 leagues will be the real test.
He's done it in CL and EL too. Leipzig has one of the best scouting in the Europe and they were all over him, with some other Italian and Spanish clubs.
I believe he's gonna be top player, he has all the tools. You'll see him at Euros.

To some extent. Tottenham also had a shitty group, Villarreal as well, Woolwich's group is not much to brag either, that Hoffenheim group looks very bad as well.

Roughly the same Dinamo team beat Atalanta 4-0, fell away at City after 80+ minutes, got Shakhtar on the ropes twice where they dropped a 2 goal lead with 8 minutes left. Got Benfica into extra time 2 years ago in the 1/8 final of the EL. Cruised past Krasnodar which had a decent run in their CL group.

Tottenham is a much better side, this is a good draw for your team, but don't assume it's going to neccesairly going to be a cakewalk.

It is a tougher match-up than what we have played so far in Europa, but far from a difficult draw.

I didn't watch the Zagreb-Krasnodar matches so maybe the score is deceiving but it sure doesn't look like they cruised past them at all.

Obviously we can get beat but there is no reason that we shouldn't be able to win this draw with our B team playing.

St Etienne
Rostov
Anderlecht
Celta Vigo
Ajax

It´s not that easy.

Remember Spurs last participation in this tournament, under Poch - 2016-17 season; the exact same season in which Jose won it with United. After getting third in the CL´s group - behind Monaco and Bayer Leverkusen -, Spurs had a "lucky" draw waiting for the team in the last 32: Gent. Maybe, after Gent, Spurs could have faced other dark horses on the way as well. We were eliminated by Gent, though, so there´s no way of knowing.

The way I see it, these are the facts:

- Jose won the Europa League four years ago, with Valencia, Smalling, Blind, Darmian and Fellaini in his first eleven. There´s no reason to say it was all down to luck in draws, especially considering our own example.

- Let´s not take anything for granted. We haven´t win a title in 13 years and there´s no reason to believe in an "easy route" for us. There´s no such thing. It will be extremely difficult to win this trophy.

COYS

Last edited:
So..

Is their keeper genuinely good then? Maybe he will put on a show for us to get him

No mention of a home/away switch but possible C-19 issues.

Thursday 11 March, 18:55 CET
Ajax vs Young Boys
Dynamo Kyiv vs Villarreal
Manchester United vs AC Milan
Slavia Praha vs Rangers

Thursday 11 March, 21:00 CET
Roma vs Shakhtar
Olympiacos vs Woolwich
Dinamo Zagreb vs Tottenham*
Granada vs Molde

Second legs

Thursday 18 March, 18:55 CET

Shakhtar vs Roma
Woolwich vs Olympiacos
Tottenham vs Dinamo Zagreb*
Molde vs Granada

Thursday 18 March, 21:00 CET
Young Boys vs Ajax
Villarreal vs Dynamo Kyiv
AC Milan vs Manchester United
Rangers vs Slavia Praha

*Fixtures may be switched pending confirmation of COVID-19 travel restrictions

So..

Orsic really seems to be a dangerous winger. Just from my first two clips after typing "Dinamo Zagreb":

- A Hat-trick in a 4-0 victory against Atalanta, last season;

- Two amazing goals in a league match (minute 2:35 is a really beautiful moment), this season:

Orsic really seems to be a dangerous winger. Just from my first two clips after typing "Dinamo Zagreb":

- A Hat-trick in a 4-0 victory against Atalanta, last season;

- Two amazing goals in a league match (minute 2:35 is a really beautiful moment), this season:

If he was 21, his price would be insane for our standards.
Late boomer I guess, but good player.

Back
Top Bottom