Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thought he'd be an ok signing. There weren't many decent right backs available in the summer and he'd been one of the better ones in the prem the last 2 seasons. Not worked at all though. He was a wing back known for bombing on but us playing him as a low block full back has ruined any confidence he may have had. Overall not good or adaptable enough. At least he was cheap but can't see us getting much more than £8m for him in the summer.

Or maybe he just wasn't good enough for a regular top 4 Champions League team and is now finding his natural level.
Perhaps he should be thankful that Spurs gave a player of his limited ability a stepping stone to a career in top flight football he probably would not otherwise have achieved?
Of course, the miracle worker King of Kids could ONLY do it with players that were already good enough and would have made it anyway at any club

DR Spurs DR Spurs In the premier league you perform or find something else to do. The crazy wages should reflect your quality. No?
I'd have to agree with that statement, you either have PL quality or you don't, true. And I actually feel uncomfortable 'defending' the player tbh....he has been that poor at times!

But I can't help but acknowledge that we haven't played him at RWB enough to be certain that he needs to go. Totally understand those who have seen enough though, I was close to that opinion myself, but I guess I'm still curious about his impact at RWB.

Of course, the miracle worker King of Kids could ONLY do it with players that were already good enough and would have made it anyway at any club
So any one who did make it would have made it anyway.?

Anyone who didn't was treated like shit?

:mourwhat:

Your anti Poch agenda / hatred is laid out for all to see right here, buddy

I'd have to agree with that statement, you either have PL quality or you don't, true. And I actually feel uncomfortable 'defending' the player tbh....he has been that poor at times!

But I can't help but acknowledge that we haven't played him at RWB enough to be certain that he needs to go. Totally understand those who have seen enough though, I was close to that opinion myself, but I guess I'm still curious about his impact at RWB.
Refreshing views. I don't want to bully people into changing there views. Maybe you have a point regarding him being moved further up field into RWB. Not sure he has the pace or crossing skills though.

Refreshing views. I don't want to bully people into changing there views. Maybe you have a point regarding him being moved further up field into RWB. Not sure he has the pace or crossing skills though.
He definitely doesn't have any pace that's for sure! :)

But when he played for Wolves, I saw him regularly come in from the wing and get involved around the box playing lay-offs and one-twos...I'd like to see if he can do that for us before we say goodbye.

If he doesn't look good at RWB, we should probably sell him back to Wolves as someone else just said.

Nope but had potential with the right coaching
Went out there v Barca, made a mistake for their goal (from a Sissoko hospital ball to be fair) then didn’t hide, had a good hour and we drew away

He played 4 games after that
If he had potential wouldn't have gone to a shit club and stayed shit

This one simply wasn't meant to be, mate

So any one who did make it would have made it anyway.?

Anyone who didn't was treated like shit?

:mourwhat:

Your anti Poch agenda / hatred is laid out for all to see right here, buddy
But that’s your claim not mine.
“KWP wasn’t good enough to coach”

You said it. How many academy made it under Poch? We’re they all shit? Convenient

Whatever players peaked under Poch, every single one of them regressed under Poch.
You blame a three year old transfer window for that.
I blame coaching, man management and SAS training regimes.

And if you don’t believe the likes of Eriksen and Dele would have been better players today had they joined Ateltico, Liverpool, Napoli, City, Dortmund, Juve, Bayern etc around 2017, then good for you.

I feel that some fans are missing the point with Docherty....

I actually think that Jose bought him as a RWB and not a RB, this is what caught the eye when he played for Wolves after all...but because of our issues at the back, he has been used at RB, mainly to give Aurier a rest now and then.

I agree that Docherty is a poor RB, that seems clear every time he plays, but I would give him until next season and see if we can get him playing in the RWB position more....I think that an improved defence (especially our FBs) would give him the chance to add to our attack more often as a RWB in a 3421 or a 352 formation.

Basically, it's too early and too short-sighted to just sell him on, it would be wiser to get our defence sorted and then see what he can offer us...if he fails at RWB, then we should say goodbye, but I just don't think that we've seen him in his best position yet.
Even if he was bought as a CF, it doesnt justify the total lack of awareness and low football iq he exhibited against fulham.

The same ball was pinged over his head again and again. All he had to do was move a bit closer to the target to discourage the pass, but instead he made Andersen look like Bonucci

Back
Top Bottom