Matt Doherty

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We saw KWP many times and by large most supporters couldn't wait for us to sell him.
KWP isn't top 4 quality. I really liked the kid and didn't mind him as a bench option in the short term, but if you really aspire to conquer the league you need better. And you certainly don't want Duherty anywhere near your team. What a terrible signing his proven to be.

I feel that some fans are missing the point with Docherty....

I actually think that Jose bought him as a RWB and not a RB, this is what caught the eye when he played for Wolves after all...but because of our issues at the back, he has been used at RB, mainly to give Aurier a rest now and then.

I agree that Docherty is a poor RB, that seems clear every time he plays, but I would give him until next season and see if we can get him playing in the RWB position more....I think that an improved defence (especially our FBs) would give him the chance to add to our attack more often as a RWB in a 3421 or a 352 formation.

Basically, it's too early and too short-sighted to just sell him on, it would be wiser to get our defence sorted and then see what he can offer us...if he fails at RWB, then we should say goodbye, but I just don't think that we've seen him in his best position yet.

I actually think that Jose bought him as a RWB and not a RB, this is what caught the eye when he played for Wolves after all...but because of our issues at the back, he has been used at RB, mainly to give Aurier a rest now and then.

I agree that Docherty is a poor RB, that seems clear every time he plays, but I would give him until next season and see if we can get him playing in the RWB position more....I think that an improved defence (especially our FBs) would give him the chance to add to our attack more often as a RWB in a 3421 or a 352 formation.

Basically, it's too early and too short-sighted to just sell him on, it would be wiser to get our defence sorted and then see what he can offer us...if he fails at RWB, then we should say goodbye, but I just don't think that we've seen him in his best position yet.
All valid points but try get his name right. DOHERTY

I don’t think a minuscule change in position will make him be able to trap the ball properly or stop putting crosses into row z

I agree that he should see some more minutes, but it becomes a question of holding onto a player in his prime years for a formation we occasionally utilise/keep playing him in an unnatural position he is clearly not moulding to versus Tanganga as a capable understudy (I know CB is his preferred but he's shown quality at RB), especially if it comes down to a question of resting/dropping Aurier.

For the sake of Doc's career, a move back to Wolves is probably the best bet for both parties in the long run. He just looks uncomfortable and uncertain and it's reflected in his defending and his attacking. We already have enough benchwarmers as fill-ins, and he's not fulfilling HG quota either. Just seems more and more like a Mendes special deal.

KWP was treated like shit by Poch
Or maybe he just wasn't good enough for a regular top 4 Champions League team and is now finding his natural level.
Perhaps he should be thankful that Spurs gave a player of his limited ability a stepping stone to a career in top flight football he probably would not otherwise have achieved?

A RWB who cannot put a single cross into the box?

He's tragic either way, mate
I have now learned how to spell Doherty! Thanks Andersen! :)

At RB, he is pants, can't deny that (last night was a painful watch in the 2nd half)...but I've seen him do ok further up the pitch a few times this season, which is why I'm not ready to ditch him just yet.

Not saying he is a world beater or anything like that, but to sell him before we've seen him in his preferred position seems a little hasty, that's all really.

Or maybe he just wasn't good enough for a regular top 4 Champions League team and is now finding his natural level.
Perhaps he should be thankful that Spurs gave a player of his limited ability a stepping stone to a career in top flight football he probably would not otherwise have achieved?
We cheaped out on Castagne and Skrinniar and got the Levycunt bargain-bin specials again - Doherty and Rondon. Rinse and repeat, mate

I have now learned how to spell Doherty! Thanks Andersen! :)

At RB, he is pants, can't deny that (last night was a painful watch in the 2nd half)...but I've seen him do ok further up the pitch a few times this season, which is why I'm not ready to ditch him just yet.

Not saying he is a world beater or anything like that, but to sell him before we've seen him in his preferred position seems a little hasty, that's all really.
I'm not Andersen

Back
Top Bottom