Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

as it stands, Skippy might decide that he'd be better off staying with Norwich!

qqj.gif

he has had a good season playing against men, if we don't need HG player to keep up levels maybe worth us getting him on longer term contract and letting stay at norwich in EPL next season,

he has had a good season playing against men, if we don't need HG player to keep up levels maybe worth us getting him on longer term contract and letting stay at norwich in EPL next season,
I get your point and, in theory, I'm not against it, but we have a severe lack of quality at CM. Unless we get another one in I'd say keep him and play him.
He'd probably be back up for PEH and Ndombele but he'd still get plenty of games.

I get your point and, in theory, I'm not against it, but we have a severe lack of quality at CM. Unless we get another one in I'd say keep him and play him.
He'd probably be back up for PEH and Ndombele but he'd still get plenty of games.
What's best for us as opposed to what's best for him?
Short term or long term?
Insurance for next season or looking ahead to 2022-23?

I'd be tempted to extend the loan. A full season against the best Midfields in the country, and some of the best midfielders in the world, better than being back up and LC ties imo.

By the time we get him back Summer 2022 for pre-season training, he'll likely be near the finished article. He had quite enough bench time under Poch, when his career stagnated for a whole season. If he'd been loaned out to a top Championship side at that point, he could have had a full PL season by start of 2021-22 and started that season alongside TN and no need to buy another overseas player in PEH (who I like btw).

Last edited:
I think he'll go on to be more than good enough for a place in our squad, As a first teamer is more of a push right now. But if players like Winks and Sissoko can get plenty of game time for us, then so can Skipp down the line.

If we don't have much money to spend to upgrade in the summer, I'd like to see Skipp and Tanganga be part of our squad - they have something to offer, and they'd want to be here.

If we don't have much money to spend to upgrade in the summer, I'd like to see Skipp and Tanganga be part of our squad - they have something to offer, and they'd want to be here.
Even if we do have decent money which I think we will with sales we need them both here, Tanganga, Skipp, Reguilon, Hojbjerg, Lamela, Lucas & Kane always put everything out on the pitch which is what we need

I'm starting to feel a little nervous for him at this point. The expectations seem to be so high that I worried he will get a load of criticism if he isn't an immediate superstar in the team.

I'm starting to feel a little nervous for him at this point. The expectations seem to be so high that I worried he will get a load of criticism if he isn't an immediate superstar in the team.

True although when he came on for us against Bayern Munich as a sub he look far better than the rest of our players, he really took it to them.

His saving grace is his high energy and aggression, it can cover for inexperience to a certain extent.

I wouldnt worry, its not like TFC members to be unrealistic or overly critical

I think we shouldn't mind hyping him a bit as he's ready for it. It's super impressive what he's achieved at Norwich, turning up as a 20 year old kid, and within a few weeks making himself undroppable. Just on a mental level, how many 20 years olds can do that? It speaks volumes about his mentality and toughness. And mentality makes an enormous difference at the top level. Kane is a prime example of that.

England do have some good young midfielders. Curtis Jones, Tom Davies, Rice, Bellingham. But it will be really interesting who emerges as the best of these. I think Skipp will be up there.

No need to be nervous for him, either he's good enough to play or he isn't. Based on what Winks and Sissoko have produced this season, there will be a lot of minutes for him next season.

We don't need him to be a superstar, we just need someone who can actually play and will put themselves about. The door is wide open for him, this is the perfect time to bring him back. Especially as Mourinho seems to rate him. A year from now we may have a different manager who brings in a different player for that position. We can always loan him out again in January if he doesn't make the grade.

He'll do fine, he's the kind of player that will look decent in most teams as he keeps it simple and tidy but will also catch the eye with some occasional moments of quality.

Bearing in mind the other CMs at Spurs the bar is very low, I'm sure people will be surprised to see an actual competent midfielder playing (similar to how changed we are now we're seeing Hojbjerg in there!)

It will only be the usual "but how many goals and assists" dickheads that will start pointing fingers, but who cares about them anyway.

We absolutely do need HG players

But talking on a purely football level, Oliver Skipp has had a staggeringly successful season at Norwich helping them to the top of the Championship table, playing (with the likes of Max Aarons) the most games as a first team player for Norwich.

Playing a major role as a 19/20 year old player to take a club to that level is absolutely an indication that Skipp is ready to play for Spurs - I can't think of much more stiff a test.

Nobody should expect Oliver Skipp to be playing 30 /40/50 games in his first season at Spurs, he's much more likely to start with the expectation at Spurs to be an alternative to other CM's such as Hojberg making maybe 20 appearances (perhaps 10/15 starts)

But tbh, given he will finish the season at Norwich with maybe 40 starts, I have a feeling that he might just push the Spurs coaches (with his PL performances) to playing him far more than their initial expectation.

As everyone who has seen him play says - he may be 19 or 20 but he plays with the experience of a player aged 30.

Spurs need Skipp next season. Skipp will thrive in PL.

Back
Top Bottom