Oliver Skipp

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Norwich want to extend the loan.

or Norwuch local paper want to print a story which local fans want to read = great for paper sales/advertising ?

I can't see anyway Spurs would want to allow Skipp to stay at Norwich given we need to find an alternative t Hojbjerg as well as upgrading cm generally, and given the number of position we want to upgrade on Skipp plus possibly Sabitzer would be ideal for cm allowing us to filll other areas of the squad.

And then there is Skipp being a 'club trained player'.

Only issue to ensure is that Mourhino assures Skipp that after a season at Norwich he definitely has the experience necessary to get regular minutes in Spurs first team.

or Norwuch local paper want to print a story which local fans want to read = great for paper sales/advertising ?

I can't see anyway Spurs would want to allow Skipp to stay at Norwich given we need to find an alternative t Hojbjerg as well as upgrading cm generally, and given the number of position we want to upgrade on Skipp plus possibly Sabitzer would be ideal for cm allowing us to filll other areas of the squad.

And then there is Skipp being a 'club trained player'.

Only issue to ensure is that Mourhino assures Skipp that after a season at Norwich he definitely has the experience necessary to get regular minutes in Spurs first team.

I fear Skipp may push for another loan, preferring both Farke's style of football and his management. Mourinho's natural inclination would surely be plead with Levy to buy Vidal and pay him £300k a week. Mourinho can only pretend so long to be a champion of youth players by giving them a minute here and there in the league and the odd cup game. The reality soon becomes apparent. Skipp hauled off at HT at Burnley never to make another start in the league. Rodon now experiencing the same. He just doesn't have the ability to improve young players, he expects them to know what to do. In truth Skipp will not be a Mourinho type player until he's balding. If we are to persist with Mourinho it may be at the expense of players like Skipp.

I fear Skipp may push for another loan, preferring both Farke's style of football and his management. Mourinho's natural inclination would surely be plead with Levy to buy Vidal and pay him £300k a week. Mourinho can only pretend so long to be a champion of youth players by giving them a minute here and there in the league and the odd cup game. The reality soon becomes apparent. Skipp hauled off at HT at Burnley never to make another start in the league. Rodon now experiencing the same. He just doesn't have the ability to improve young players, he expects them to know what to do. In truth Skipp will not be a Mourinho type player until he's balding. If we are to persist with Mourinho it may be at the expense of players like Skipp.

So you'd start Skipp ahead of Hojbjerg and Ndombele? good job you're not the manager .... it's incredibly hard for youngsters to start in any top EPL side, that's exactly why Skipp is at Norwich, even if he were to be back in our squad, and Mourinho were to have been replaced, would the new manager start him ahead of Hojbjerg and Ndombele? - that's a rhetorical question no sane manager would.

If we did sign Vidal, or any other proven experienced midfielder, would you still start Skipp ahead of them? would any manager?

Skipp will get cup games, substitute appearances, and will be our midfield cover, if he wants 36 x 90 minute games a season he won't get that at Spurs, not under Mourinho or any other manager, to pretend that there's even the remotest chance is just naive ....

How many 20 year old midfielders are currently starting in any EPL team? They're as rare as rockin' horse shite whoever their champion of youth players manager might be.

Remember, we have had other young players before that have looked the real deal in the Championship - Pritchard, Tarabbt but couldn't do it consistently in the prem.

Skipp has already looked to be the real deal in a Spurs shirt and hopefully we have him tied down for another 5 years.

There was this youth kid at United, McTominay I think his name was, brought into the first team by Jose, and there was also that french teenager at Madrid, who became a starter ahead of Pepe under Mourinho. Guess those guys were much older than Skipp?

Remember, we have had other young players before that have looked the real deal in the Championship - Pritchard, Tarabbt but couldn't do it consistently in the prem.

Skipp has already looked to be the real deal in a Spurs shirt and hopefully we have him tied down for another 5 years.
Really? Tell me which game Skipp showed he was anything special. This belief that Skipp is the Messiah is hogwash.
By all accounts the quality of football in the 2nd tier is appalling this season so he is playing well in a dominant side in a poor league
Im sure that he will be an ok squad player, but little else, unless he has undergone same massive step up in his personal levels.

Really? Tell me which game Skipp showed he was anything special. This belief that Skipp is the Messiah is hogwash.
By all accounts the quality of football in the 2nd tier is appalling this season so he is playing well in a dominant side in a poor league
Im sure that he will be an ok squad player, but little else, unless he has undergone same massive step up in his personal levels.

Your writing off a 20 year old as a squad player?

I don't think anyone said he is the Messiah; but he does look like a very tidy player with a good head on his shoulders and an excellent work rate + attitude.

IT is easy to play in a winning, dominant team like Norwich are in the Championship. If and I say if he stayed for next season with Norwich in the premiership it would be very different and much harder. A compromise could be the best test and a loan until January giving him regular games against the best teams and bring him back in January either with proof he can play against the best teams or that he is still only young and needs more time.

Your writing off a 20 year old as a squad player?

I don't think anyone said he is the Messiah; but he does look like a very tidy player with a good head on his shoulders and an excellent work rate + attitude.
I'm giving my opinion of what I saw of him in the appearances that he made that I witnessed.
Unlike so many people on here, I'm not ageist, I don't care what age he is, he didn't live up to the blether that people were pouring onto this site.
He is now doing a tidy job in an uninspiring league of generally poor quality.
I hope he is the messiah, HK was pretty uninspiring and his loan periods in lower leagues weren't exactly setting the presses on fire - but he came of age and blossomed.
But in my opinion, Skipp will have have to have improved a lot from what he produced in his appearances for us, to be the future of the first team.

Before you have a go at me for my opinions of Skipp, take a look at the scorn and derision poured on Harry Winks, who is deemed good enough to play first team football by Pochettino, Mourinho and Southgate, yet people on here talk about his skills as if he were disabled.

Watching his highlights at Norwich, Skipp looks a very similar player to Winks but seems to be stronger at tackling.
He certainly is not going to walk into the Spurs' 1st team so perhaps an EPL loan next season might be a good idea.
Let's have a look at him pre-season.

I don't think Mourhino has much choice simply because Spurs need to make a lot of changes to the squad this summer - I could easily see arguments for up to half of them (say 10-12 players) being on people's lists to replace, so no chance we could :

- Identify and persuade that number of quality players to join Spurs
- Afford that number of quality players
- Integrate that number into the squad.

Realistically we might hope for 4 - 6 quality recruits coming in plus Skipp and Sessegnon back from loan. Hopefully say 3 or 4 are immediately first team material

So still a couple of holes left in the squad (eg one CB in whereas Mourhino might like two) with those 6 - 8 players coming in the summer coming to fill maybe 10 holes.

So a player who knows Spurs and Mourhino (ie no integration, no cost and no issues around identifying them and getting to know them) on a plate for Mourhino...... .......... solves a lot of problems.

And given our 'overseas trained' player' problem, Skipp avoids that problem.

So Mourhino won't want to turn away a player given to him on a plate who's looked one of the best players in the Championship which these days is regarded as one of the top 6 leagues in europe - higher than the likes of Netherlands and Portugal for its combination of technique, intensity and that its highly competitive right from its top clubs to near to the bottom so no easy games..... not too different to PL other than PL is even more intense etc.

What he's doing at 20, in the position he plays, where experience counts a lot, is really impressive.

Not an elite passer, not an athletic outlier, but he has a great all round game. He's right up with the pace of the game, something you could see even in his first appearances for Spurs. Very quick to anticipate, knows what he wants to do before receiving the ball etc.

If we're comparing, better than Winks at the same age for sure. Let's enjoy seeing how good he can be, but one thing in his favour is he seems to have a great attitude and desire to get better. Hopefully the 'future captain' comments from Mou were sincere.

Poor guy, if he comes back and isn't an instant reincarnation of Hoddle/Dembele/Modric, he will be doomed.
Mourinho has put more pressure on him than anyone by saying he's future club captain material. But you get the feeling that he can handle it.

Norwich fans have seen a lot of him and seem to think he's good enough to play for them in the Prem. For us he could at least get a Winks-sized number of games next season.

Skipp has earned the right to be a part of the first team next season.

If he is good enough to start for a promoted team, then he is good enough to try and earn some minutes against lesser oppositionand as sub.

How well he can develop will be seen soon enough

Just assisted Pukki for an equalizer vs Sheffield Weds. Nice bit of play, think it's his first assist of the season. Having another solid game.

IT is easy to play in a winning, dominant team like Norwich are in the Championship. If and I say if he stayed for next season with Norwich in the premiership it would be very different and much harder. A compromise could be the best test and a loan until January giving him regular games against the best teams and bring him back in January either with proof he can play against the best teams or that he is still only young and needs more time.

Most Norwich fans say their midfield is a lot more solid this season because of Skipp, and had they had him last season they would have stayed in PL.

Back
Top Bottom