Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

An underperforming manager wow, never happened before, this is beyond saving for a football club...
Cant blame all on Poch. Too many of our good players from the past had left or declined . Which is why I had to spend so much time arguing with sammy that Poch shouldnt be sacked but instead he needs better players. Instead we sack Poch , and too many of htose players still exist in the squad. We will sack Jose but as long as the likes of Winks, Dier, Sissoko , Davies, Toby , Sanchez, Lamela etc etc are still part of the squad, nothing much will change.

The title is a bit clickbaity. But interesting discussion from Michel Vorm here with O'Hara (Jamie is obviously trying to angle it but I think that Michel handled it well). Vorm was part of the team as early as last season and spent years with us so he has pretty good knowledge about the makeup of our dressing room.

I suppose its all ifs and buts. 6 weeks or so we will know everything. Carabao cup, top 4 and whether jose remains in charge. Its all become too political for my liking. Had a well run ship under poch. Cant judge poch on his last 9 months. Poor bloke was frustrated. Levy again. 1 trophy in 20 years under him. That 50 year time capsule at new stadium worries me. 50 years time still no trophy.

Spot on.

The back up has become the first team.

Jan and Toby has become Sanchez and Dier.
Wanyama and Dembele became Winks and Sissoko.
Walker/Trippier became Doherty/Aurier/Tanganga
Rose became Davies.
Eriksen and good Dele became Lucas and Lamela and shit Dele

It's simply delusional to pretend that we have a squad at the same level as peak Poch's. Maybe we have more "strength in depth" but the first XI is so much worse.

We have made a handful of decent signings in recent years. Hojberg and Reg have hit the ground running and been good additions, though PEH is no peak Dembele or Wanyama.

Ndombele has come good after a year on the treatment table but still needs to influence games more.
Gio has potential but can't stay fit.

People are so desperate to hate Jose that they are willing to lie to themselves.

I agree with this, but not the last line. I'm not desperate to hate Jose, I actually thought he'd be a good appointment. But I think he is failing in his job to get the most out of the players available to him, because when I watch us play, I see a disorganised mess. So whilst I agree with you that our team has declined, I'm not sure that Jose is the man to re-build it. Put it this way, what has he shown in his time with us or the time he had at Utd which makes you think he is the man to re-build the team and make us properly competitive again?

I think we do need quite a few new players. But I also think we need a new coach. In my opinion, our current shitness is down to players who aren't good enough and a coach who makes them play even worse than the sum of their parts. If he was doing his job, we'd be playing a bit better inspite of having some players who aren't up to it. We have been slapped around by some average teams this season.

Cant blame all on Poch. Too many of our good players from the past had left or declined . Which is why I had to spend so much time arguing with sammy that Poch shouldnt be sacked but instead he needs better players. Instead we sack Poch , and too many of htose players still exist in the squad. We will sack Jose but as long as the likes of Winks, Dier, Sissoko , Davies, Toby , Sanchez, Lamela etc etc are still part of the squad, nothing much will change.
I always wanted Poch to stay.

Can't lie that I had I hopes for Mourinho...

In the end.....I fear we will be in the dark ages for while.......

I mean the team looks like a mess right now....,

I agree with this, but not the last line. I'm not desperate to hate Jose, I actually thought he'd be a good appointment. But I think he is failing in his job to get the most out of the players available to him, because when I watch us play, I see a disorganised mess. So whilst I agree with you that our team has declined, I'm not sure that Jose is the man to re-build it. Put it this way, what has he shown in his time with us or the time he had at Utd which makes you think he is the man to re-build the team and make us properly competitive again?

I think we do need quite a few new players. But I also think we need a new coach. In my opinion, our current shitness is down to players who aren't good enough and a coach who makes them play even worse than the sum of their parts. If he was doing his job, we'd be playing a bit better inspite of having some players who aren't up to it. We have been slapped around by some average teams this season.
I don't think Jose is the man to lead a rebuild and I will not be shedding any tears if he's sacked this summer.

I guess it's personal preference as to where one directs their frustration but after 5 years of nearly getting there with Poch and backing the players to the hilt and then almost another two years under Jose I'm just sick of a lot of them.

It gets really tiresome to still have to watch the likes of Sanchez, Sissoko, Winks, Aurier and Dele (not so much these days thankfully) 4 or 5 years on and the thought of watching them for more seasons under Nagelsmann or whoever doesn't excite me.

The squad is need of a massive refresh and until we get the deadwood out I don't really care who's in charge. At least with Mourinho you'd think he'd be telling Levy who the pony players are and that they need to be moved on. Maybe Levy's man-crush will mean he listens.

I can imagine a new coach will say he can get a tune out of them and will condemn us to another season of Aurier brainfarts, Sanchez slices, Winks ghosting around, Sissoko not being a footballer, geriatric Dele.

I mean the team looks like a mess right now....,
Get a proper sporting director in and they can take care of that.

Someone that can plan in the long term and appoint a manager that fits and get him players that fit him.

People will just say that it won't work with Levy. But he has worked with one before to decent results and it is the way forward. No big clubs these days operate without one.

With a good sporting director it won't be as big an impact if we change managers.

I don't think Jose is the man to lead a rebuild and I will not be shedding any tears if he's sacked this summer.

I guess it's personal preference as to where one directs their frustration but after 5 years of nearly getting there with Poch and backing the players to the hilt and then almost another two years under Jose I'm just sick of a lot of them.

It gets really tiresome to still have to watch the likes of Sanchez, Sissoko, Winks, Aurier and Dele (not so much these days thankfully) 4 or 5 years on and the thought of watching them for more seasons under Nagelsmann or whoever doesn't excite me.

The squad is need of a massive refresh and until we get the deadwood out I don't really care who's in charge. At least with Mourinho you'd think he'd be telling Levy who the pony players are and that they need to be moved on. Maybe Levy's man-crush will mean he listens.

I can imagine a new coach will say he can get a tune out of them and will condemn us to another season of Aurier brainfarts, Sanchez slices, Winks ghosting around, Sissoko not being a footballer, geriatric Dele.
That's an interesting way of looking at it, I hadn't considered that maybe it's necessary for Mourinho to stay in order for Levy to sanction an overhaul of the squad. My hope is that Levy realises the squad needs sorting and it'd probably be best under a coach with more of a plan. My fear is the same as yours, a new coach given the task of turd polishing.

I wouldn't mind us going to Leicester, stealing their scouts and whoever signs their players, and Rodgers too. I think that Levy might need to review his own methods and come up with something different. Maybe get some new football brains in at board level to figure it out.

Chelsea, City, and more recently Liverpool are such teams. United havent been competitive since SAF left.

As to why employ Mourinho, that would be for Levy to answer, but if he was looking for a miracle worker, he is likely not going to find it in Mourinho or any other manager.

Yet in the last 5 seasons these are the Top 4 finishers - surely it points to a level of consistency at Spurs? Equal to Liverpool and above Chelsea and united....

Leicester x 1
Woolwich x 1
United x 2
Chelsea x 3
Spurs x 4
Liverpool x 4
City x 5

Plus as for signings and moaning about that - The back four of Walker, Rose, Toby and Jan were purchased for less than £30m for all 4.
Jan and Toby were playing as full backs at international level when we signed them Toby was a sub at Atletico Madrid not even first choice before being sent on loan to Southampton. Walker and rose were kids.
Eriksen - young and potential. £11m
Dembele - £15m from Fulham. Not first choice at international level.
dele. £5m
Harry Kane. Academy graduate.

This was the spine of our team who challenged. Who outperformed and outplayed nearly every other premier league team - £60m for 8 players. Was this a miracle team?? Or the result of very good coaching??

What’s your opinion?

You’re a Spurs fan you must have one??

If he is here next season I'm cancelling my membership and have no intention of watching a single minute of a single match til he's sacked

I'm not watching anymore of this garbage

This just always degenerates into a Poch v Jose slagging match.

It was the correct decision to fire Pochettino. He had a good run at it for 5 and a half years but couldn’t get us over the line and the league results over the last 9 months justified his sacking.

It was the wrong choice to succeed him in Mourinho though, and most of us called that from the very start
Poch said there was a painful rebuild required. Poch never got that rebuild instead we started the rebuild under Toxic Mourinho and we will be lucky to find more than three players in the squad that like him as a manager. I am pretty sure the day after he is fired their will be no players Giotto console him.

United are certainly trying to make him look good by appointing Ole who got Cardiff relegated. However he may well match Jose’s best league finish, I wouldn’t let Ole run a bath
have to win 7 out of their 8 remaining game to match jose's best point tally which i very much doubt so

and even then he is still trophyless , 3 years , 300m spend, 0 progression

Back
Top Bottom