Graham Potter

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yes. Since lockdown I don't think I have missed a Premier League match (apart from the few occasions when they are scheduled at same time as another). I would hazard a guess I have watched them on multiple more occasions that you.
I see chances created by Brighton, by players that Potter spent record monies bringing to the club that aren't converted, but not more clear cut really than by their peers given the playing style.
I see a possession based style of football that is quite sterile in its nature. I see him doing the same thing over and over again, and not changing things when they are obviously not working.
Really I am not overly impressed, and his results since he has been in England (or Wales) bear that out so far.
It is just excuse after excuse. It is basically what Mourinho did regularly and you shot him down for it, but you are now doing it yourself for somebody else.
I think he needs to either improve Brighton by a good 10 to 15 points than he has been, which is basically Chris Hughton level, or move to a club the next level of finances club down from us (a West Ham, Villa, Wolves) and see if he can do it there, before he is worthy of a shot.
There are plenty of managers out there I rate higher

Multiple more occasions than me? Based on what? You have no idea how many times I do or don't watch them. I would say I have seen most of their games this year, so doubtful that you have seen them multiple more times than me. Not that it really matters either way.

I disagree with a lot of what you see but I doubt either will change their mind. I do think that ideally he would go to an Everton or West Ham and then we would see better results from him. although likely not enough to satisfy the haters that see him as a representation of xG that they hate so will never give him credit.

I don't think he is an ideal appointment and I definitely had others ahead of him but I don't see a guy currently linked to us that would be better. He isn't perfect but he is by far the best of the options we are left with. I think he would do a very good job for us, especially if given the freedom to build the team to fit what he does, even without that freedom he would get better results than most of the other duds we are linked to and the guy we jut wasted 2 years on.

Yes. Since lockdown I don't think I have missed a Premier League match (apart from the few occasions when they are scheduled at same time as another). I would hazard a guess I have watched them on multiple more occasions that you.
I see chances created by Brighton, by players that Potter spent record monies bringing to the club that aren't converted, but not more clear cut really than by their peers given the playing style.
I see a possession based style of football that is quite sterile in its nature. I see him doing the same thing over and over again, and not changing things when they are obviously not working.
Really I am not overly impressed, and his results since he has been in England (or Wales) bear that out so far.
It is just excuse after excuse. It is basically what Mourinho did regularly and you shot him down for it, but you are now doing it yourself for somebody else.
I think he needs to either improve Brighton by a good 10 to 15 points than he has been, which is basically Chris Hughton level, or move to a club the next level of finances club down from us (a West Ham, Villa, Wolves) and see if he can do it there, before he is worthy of a shot.
There are plenty of managers out there I rate higher, and with good reason, backed up with results as well as just playing pretty football.
Interesting take. Think it’s important to look at the what if’s / potential future achievement at Spurs rather than reflect solely on their historic performance - agree with most of your points mind

We can’t sell either, they need to be released or paid to leave
I don't believe that at all - we need to replace them and might not get close to what we paid, but the idea that they're so shit we have to buy them out to shift them is an exaggeration. We've sold far worse players than either of them before.

I don't believe that at all - we need to replace them and might not get close to what we paid, but the idea that they're so shit we have to buy them out to shift them is an exaggeration. We've sold far worse players than either of them before.
Exactly. It's not a Danny Rose situation.

I think you underestimate the hit every club has taken this season.... and the risk of next season following the same path.

PL less so due to TV money but even so most Eng clubs have lost c.20% of revenue, that’s a huge hit and sends fragile P and L’s into a downward spin.

Aurier may get a nominal fee as he’s decent at times, but I don’t expect more than 5M. Doherty will be here next season

I think you underestimate the hit every club has taken this season.... and the risk of next season following the same path.

PL less so due to TV money but even so most Eng clubs have lost c.20% of revenue, that’s a huge hit and sends fragile P and L’s into a downward spin.

Aurier may get a nominal fee as he’s decent at times, but I don’t expect more than 5M. Doherty will be here next season

I think you overestimate the hit that every club has taken. We still saw players move last year in the middle of Covid when there was uncertainty as to what the future would hold. Now teams have a much better idea of what the future looks like and can plan for it.

And if our players are getting so much less than what is rumoured based in your insider knowledge that will make it much easier for us to buy their replacements for cheap as well so it works out fine for us.

We still saw players move last year in the middle of Covid when there was uncertainty as to what the future would hold. Now teams have a much better idea of what the future looks like and can plan for it.
This is true.

Consider the possibility, though, that what time and greater clarity has revealed is that clubs, especially abroad, are fucked financially.

That's barely even subtext in the ESL nonsense.

This is true.

Consider the possibility, though, that what time and greater clarity has revealed is that clubs, especially abroad, are fucked financially.

That's barely even subtext in the ESL nonsense.

Sure but that was the case last year and football finances are always a bit of smoke and mirror with a side of a shell game thrown in for good measure.

And as I said if the prices for our guys are low then the prices for the guys we are bringing in will be low as well. In fact if finances are so bad this is a time for a big, rich club like us to take advantage of weak teams that don't have the financial resources to get through this time like we do.

And you're over estimating it, and/or underestimating the cost of relegation that lower half clubs are continually under threat from.

While neither of them are truly CL quality players, they both can play capably in the PL. One of the two could easily be packaged with the fee in a swap with Aarons. Probably Doherty, as Aurier has a larger continental market in addition to the domestic one.

Just because they're not up to the quality we need to compete at the highest level, doesn't mean they're without value. That's absurd.

And you're over estimating it, and/or underestimating the cost of relegation that lower half clubs are continually under threat from.

While neither of them are truly CL quality players, they both can play capably in the PL. One of the two could easily be packaged with the fee in a swap with Aarons. Probably Doherty, as Aurier has a larger continental market in addition to the domestic one.

Just because they're not up to the quality we need to compete at the highest level, doesn't mean they're without value. That's absurd.
No it’s not. Take a look at the Goons who have struggled to offload overpaid, bang average players and literally had to pay them to go..... I guess they were paying their dross >£100K where-as our wages could be matched by most top half clubs eg Villa, Wolves etc

i don’t think either can play capably in the PL. if I was Soton or Villa, Palace etc I wouldn’t touch either with a barge pole. Both can play, both regularly stink the place out so no consistency whatsoever

No it’s not. Take a look at the Goons who have struggled to offload overpaid, bang average players and literally had to pay them to go..... I guess they were paying their dross >£100K where-as our wages could be matched by most top half clubs eg Villa, Wolves etc

i don’t think either can play capably in the PL. if I was Soton or Villa, Palace etc I wouldn’t touch either with a barge pole. Both can play, both regularly stink the place out so no consistency whatsoever
Ok, you can't compare Woolwich's wage zombies to our out of favour players.

And you're way exaggerating how bad Doherty and Aurier are. Doherty did enough in a bottom half Wolves team to earn a £15M move to Spurs.

And you're way exaggerating how bad Doherty and Aurier are. Doherty did enough in a bottom half Wolves team to earn a £15M move to Spurs.
That now has a 29 year old on a contract with three years to run at top six wages after a season in which he looked like he'd forgotten how to play football.

That is an un-transferrable player.

Serge Aurier with a Champions League pedigree, an EU passport, a sterling record of availability at least, and just a year to run on his deal is probably someone we could find a home for, though not for much money and I would be flabbergasted if it was Real Madrid.

(I guess Doherty has an EU passport too. But still)

He’s shit. Wolves said it too, some decent bits at times but he’s not a right back.

same for Aurier, no-one is taking a player that inconsistent. Lazy managers like Redknapp and Allardyce would have him years ago but data / analysis means you can’t mug off these sides anymore

Just coz we got dry fucked by Doherty’s agent and Jose doesn’t mean others will be so damn lazy. Should involve the police or MI5 in that rape

The guys that Woolwich are paying to go away are on ridiculous wages and resisted moves away. The guys were are looking at moving out are not close to that level of wages.

Aurier is done in a year, its silly to say we would have to pay to move him on.

Back
Top Bottom