Gareth Bale

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He's become the ultimate flat track bully. No case for bringing him back again.

I think it likely doesn't make sense to bring him back but if we moved out a lot of deadwood and brought in a young RW who could be a good option to start using him as a late game sub and flat track bully might not be the worst thing.

He does count as club trained and HG, so as long as we aren't relying on him to be a first team starter I would be ok with him coming back. If the idea is that he is first choice RW then no thanks.

Well, at least he got his 'run of games' and Mason plays 'attacking football'. What could possibly go wrong?

Honestly... People were praising a player who didn't give a fuck about the team through the whole season just because he scored against Sheffield (!!!). Journalists saying Jose didn't use Bale in every game and, for that reason, he was responsible for the team missing top 4.

It shows everything you need to know about the awareness of this fan base and the credibility of journalists covering the club.

He's become the ultimate flat track bully. No case for bringing him back again.

I don't know about that, a flat track bully can still be useful. Especially when we have so few goalscorers in our squad.

I think Bale can still be part of the squad next season and start the easier matches but it's clear that he doesn't have the legs or desire to dig in against tougher opponents.

Well, at least he got his 'run of games' and Mason plays 'attacking football'. What could possibly go wrong?

Honestly... People were praising a player who didn't give a fuck about the team through the whole season just because he scored against Sheffield (!!!). Journalists saying Jose didn't use Bale in every game and, for that reason, he was responsible for the team missing top 4.

It shows everything you need to know about the awareness of this fan base and the credibility of journalists covering the club.
I don't have a strong stance on Bale either way, but in his last three starts he's contributed heavily to two league wins. He played poorly today. He's had other bad games. So have all of our players.

I don't have a strong stance on Bale either way, but in his last three starts he's contributed heavily to two league wins. He played poorly today. He's had other bad games. So have all of our players.
No, I completely agree. He did well against Southampton and Sheffield, at home. He did well before, against Palace and Burnley too.

My points are:

1 - His cobtribution on the pitch has been overrated. People were saying - after Sheffield... - that Bale is still able to dominate high level games on a regular basis; that he should have played "much more" than he did; and of course, that he should stay for another year. The truth, though, is that Bale will still make a difference against 4 or 5 PL sides, while the other 14 will cope with him relatively well and/or will explore his fragilities.

2 - As a professional, Bale is definitely not a good example. Never mind his fights with Zidane, at Madrid. He went back to Spurs saying his main objective was to get fit for the Euros - somehow he got away with it. He didn't make a difference against any of the big sides, he didn't play well in the final; he was part of the defeat against Dinamo - not saying it was his fault, I'm saying he was part of it. He was the first to slam his former manager in public. He kept his 600k per week in the whole process. And yet, as you can see here in the last pages before today's loss, when it cames to Bale people still prefer to live in denial.

No, I completely agree. He did well against Southampton and Sheffield, at home. He did well before, against Palace and Burnley too.

My points are:

1 - His cobtribution on the pitch has been overrated. People were saying - after Sheffield... - that Bale is still able to dominate high level games on a regular basis; that he should have played "much more" than he did; and of course, that he should stay for another year. The truth, though, is that Bale will still make a difference against 4 or 5 PL sides, while the other 14 will cope with him relatively well and/or will explore his fragilities.

2 - As a professional, Bale is definitely not a good example. Never mind his fights with Zidane, at Madrid. He went back to Spurs saying his main objective was to get fit for the Euros - somehow he got away with it. He didn't make a difference against any of the big sides, he didn't play well in the final; he was part of the defeat against Dinamo - not saying it was his fault, I'm saying he was part of it. He was the first to slam his former manager in public. He kept his 600k per week in the whole process. And yet, as you can see here in the last pages before today's loss, when it cames to Bale people still prefer to live in denial.

This is absolutely spot on. It is bitter truth.
What stands out for me is that in the decisive games (against dynamo, City and Leeds), he showed zero leadership. It is in games like those that super stars make the difference. They are supposed to be your X-Factor. At a point yesterday, I was asking, 'Is Bale playing?'

Well the difference between a motivated Leeds team on their own turf and an already relegated God awful Sheffield United side at home is obviously like night and day. It's like him scoring a hat-trick against Moldova for Wales and then not doing anything when they played Spain.
You didn’t mind Kane playing like a pub player in both games though?
Only Bale is worth pointing out despite scoring a world class hat trick in one

You didn’t mind Kane playing like a pub player in both games though?
Only Bale is worth pointing out despite scoring a world class hat trick in one

Fuck me, you're an annoying little scrote.

First of all, I've never said anything else other than Bale should be in our team when fit. I also praised Bale on the match day thread against Sheffield for some great finishes. But my point stands. Sheffield are the worst team in the league and were already down when we played them, so the fact that we won easily in the end and Bale scored a hat-trick wasn't anything to get too excited about.

And while he wasn't anywhere near his best obviously, Kane didn't perform like a "pub player" at all. You've got some sort of weird agenda and I'd love to know what the reason for that really is.

Fuck me, you're an annoying little fucking scrote.

First of all, I've never said anything else other than Bale should be in our team when fit. I also praised Bale on the match day thread against Sheffield. But my point stands. Sheffield are the worst team in the league and were already down when we played them, so the fact that we won easily in the end and Bale scored a hat-trick wasn't anything to get too excited about.

And while he wasn't anywhere near his best obviously, Kane didn't perform like a "pub player" at all. You've got some sort of weird agenda and I'd love to know what it really is.
Yeah if Kane scored that hat trick though you’d have wanked

I have to say, Bale's performance yesterday was excellent. Consistently tracked back and provided cover for Tanganga and was calm; and pure class with the ball.

Enigma. A shadow of the player we sold. But flashes of genius and the name on the team sheet alone terrorises teams.
And still a game changer / match winner.
Heart and head both say he should stay if a suitable deal can be struck. Wouldn’t like to see him end his career on the golf course in Madrid or tearing it up somewhere else.
It’s a very difficult conundrum for me. It’s a signing that shouts ambition because of what he can do still, but he’s in a rapid decline from what he was.
Fu k it though. He is a multiple winner that can still strut his stuff and score the killer goal/play the match winning pass

I'd keep him. On his day he can score the goals we need. He has scored 14 goals in 19 + 13 apps, that is a decent return. Should have been more involved earlier in the season, even if I think he wasn't fit for the first few months. I would like to see him fully fit in the autumn.

I'd keep him as a squad player, but I wouldn't trust him in the bigger games unless he plays down the middle. Being home grown and club-trained I think it's a no-brainer to bring him back next season.

It's going to cost us more to find someone who can make the same number of goals and assists as him, even if it is only against weaker opponents.

I'd keep him as a squad player, but I wouldn't trust him in the bigger games unless he plays down the middle. Being home grown and club-trained I think it's a no-brainer to bring him back next season.

It's going to cost us more to find someone who can make the same number of goals and assists as him, even if it is only against weaker opponents.

So which big games has he started for us and then failed in which has led you to the conclusion not to trust him out wide against the big boys?
If Gareth is given the ball then he makes things happen. Our problem is getting him the ball in the first place

Back
Top Bottom