Paulo Fonseca (Poll Added)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you feel about this appointment

• Like it.

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 90 22.1%
  • Wait and see.

Votes: 217 53.2%
  • I quit.

Votes: 79 19.4%

• Total voters
Surely if you’re going for the gamble of a manager with mainly just potential in his locker then you may as well gamble on one that has managed in the Premier League like Nuno or Potter. Or just go for the safe pair of hands given the situation and talk to Benitez who knows what he’s doing.
Completely agree. I would have Potter, Nuno, Benitez, Moyes before Fonseca. Apparently he guided Roma to 7th in the league, I expect that is where he would get us to. No ambition. Absolute bollocks of an appointment.

This, 100%. Often a forum becomes just a loo in which people discharge their frustrations with out switching their brain on
(not saying that Fonseca will be good, but I am not saying the opposite either)
Would you hire a complete random with fuck all of note on his CV to run your multi million pound company?

If so good luck explaining that to your share holders.

I understand you, but...

If they appointed me, would you wait & see?
Completely different. As far as l know, you have no top level experience. You're just an angry dude on a forum.

Wait and see is perfectly reasonable for a manager coming over from a top 5 league that you do not know much about.

I don’t think anyone is blaming Fonseca, it’s just with Levy’s constant balls up no-one trusts him and with his reputation this just looks like a money saving appointment that is more likely to go wrong than right.

Dont disagree with that, but we have to accept that with our financial restrictions and poor league position we aren’t an attractive prospect for top managers. Without the budget to rebuild the team nobody elite will want to come here to work with Eric Dier.

Are you talking about Fonseca? I do not see anything on Google about him leaving his wife?
yes, Fonseca.

Had a wife & 2 children. Now has a third child with his newer model. Must admit I assumed he'd left his first one.

Not that it matters anyway - it's just tittle tattle.

My choice from the beginning is Rafa Benitez.
He has the experience and CV, and he's worked under a tight cunt already at Newcastle. Ashley is basically Levy with a Geordie accent.

You could argue he is getting on but I'd much rather a man with PL experience who knows what it takes to win trophies than some rando with no CV who is probably Paratici's golfing buddy.
Benitez ffs

Dont disagree with that, but we have to accept that with our financial restrictions and poor league position we aren’t an attractive prospect for top managers. Without the budget to rebuild the team nobody elite will want to come here to work with Eric Dier.

We should be at least good enough for an up and coming someone like Potter or given Ten Hag the chance to experience the prem. we still have some decent players and if Kane leaves then 150-200m of spending money.

We where linked with Ten Hag, Potter and Lopetegui going back, who knows if they where the ones. That seemed fine then Poch and Conte flashed Levy’s eye, we failed on them and suddenly it’s like we can’t get anyone even half decent. We look like opportunists, and I don’t blame Ten Hag for looking at our manager search and thinking fuck me who’d want to work under that cunt Levy.

We have a huge stadium, currently some good international players and probably some half decent cash if we can shift 5-10 players we need plus being in London as well playing in the hardest league in the world and a big salary to boot. I just think Levy tried to get managers out of his reach then screwed up the good managers we could have gotten this are left with mediocrity.

Benitez ffs
Who were we attracting better than that? We were never going to get Conte, if you believed we were even in for him really I have a season ticket to sell you....

The reality is, we've got fuck all money, we will be losing our best player, the squad is shot away. And it seems Levy pushed all in on the ESL thing.

Benitez was a realistic option with experience, a solid CV and a calming presense.

Now we are getting some rando who likes to dress up as Zorro

Can anyone possibly tell me how this guy is better than Dyche, Potter or Howe?

why do we spend millions getting these continental journeyman managers who have no EPL experience and who’s only career involves jumping from club to club, failing miserably at Porto and Roma but gets a 3 year fucking contract at spurs??!?! Why?!?!

and yet the likes of Dyche get disregarded and laughed at as not serious managers???
I'm fond of Dyche and would be curious to see how he'd do in a club well above Burnley in statue. Maybe he's found his niche and that's it.

Watched two Roma matches last night/this morning. A 3-3 draw with Milan, and a 4-0 defeat to to Napoli. I'll watch a few more over the next few days. A few quick notes.

Is Pau Lopes a rated keeper? Guy was useless. The three CB's look seriously disorganised at times, Mancini looks a fairly mediocre player. Generally big gulf in quality/athleticism between Roma and the teams they faced. Well drilled in defensive and attacking set pieces. Underwhelming in both games I have to say, kind of purposefully picked games where they played badly. Dzeko's lack of mobility hampered them greatly in both games. Romagnoli did not look good for Milan, Zeilinski incredible for Napoli. Saw bits of what they were trying to do, early in the game vs Napoli and throughout vs Milan, overwhelmed physically by Napoli. Some of the patterns look like they may suit the likes of Ndom, Gio, Bergwijn. Less so Doherty, the way he employs wing backs doesn't really cater to Doherty's skillet imo. Will watch more later today, might try a few games where he used the 4-2-3-1.

Little to take away from either, Milan and Napoli were both a lot better than Roma in most areas of the field, Roma struggled to put their stamp on either game despite some set piece goals vs Milan.

People were desperate for possession-based attacking football and creaming over Potter who finished a lofty 16th with Brighton.

Had never heard of this guy before yesterday but is he any worse than what we've been linked with (other than Conte or Poch who we were never seriously going to give 200m for the rebuild)?

Given that we will not be splashing the cash we need someone who can get us playing an attractive brand of football and work within a tight budget.

Tight doesn't mean we can't sign good players as we've seen with these Thuram rumours. I expect plenty more targets to emerge from nowhere now that Patricini is getting to work.

Our issue in recent years has not been the manager, it's been squad turnover and big money signings that haven't worked out.

If Patricini can improve us on that front then we will improve regardless of the manager.

Who were we attracting better than that? We were never going to get Conte, if you believed we were even in for him really I have a season ticket to sell you....

The reality is, we've got fuck all money, we will be losing our best player, the squad is shot away. And it seems Levy pushed all in on the ESL thing.

Benitez was a realistic option with experience, a solid CV and a calming presense.

Now we are getting some rando who likes to dress up as Zorro
Agree that we were never getting Conte but in no way is boring Benitez a good appointment. If we were in a relegation scrap then maybe but hopefully we have slightly loftier ambitions than that.

Would you hire a complete random with fuck all of note on his CV to run your multi million pound company?

If so good luck explaining that to your share holders.
We are hiring a person to run our football, not our company. I agree with you re CV, and even for a manager a CV is clearly very important, but when it comes to manage a squad there are also soft factors to consider as well. For example: how much is it worth to win a league in Holland with Ajax or in Ukraine with Shaktar? It's not a black and white

I don't know anything about him and I am neither convinced nor against this appointment. I tend to make my mind on the basis of what I see when I watch other teams playing. I have never watched Roma recently.

There are clearly at least a couple of names that would make me feel very enthusiastic (Poch, Conte), but they are not gonna come. I would be happy with some other (Bentez or Potter, for example), but it doesn't seem to happen

This one? I am sitting on the fence for the moment

Agree that we were never getting Conte but in no way is boring Benitez a good appointment. If we were in a relegation scrap then maybe but hopefully we have slightly loftier ambitions than that.

Benitez is prem proven I would rather not but Fonseca gives me Ramos vibes. Benitez is a top class manager just his football is dull, not Jose level dull but dull all the same, I would take him if we have little else.

Are you talking about Fonseca? I do not see anything on Google about him leaving his wife?

iU6RDau.jpg

#2...
eADcluQ.jpg

Back
Top Bottom