Paulo Fonseca (Poll Added)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How do you feel about this appointment

• Like it.

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Hate it.

Votes: 90 22.1%
  • Wait and see.

Votes: 217 53.2%
  • I quit.

Votes: 79 19.4%

• Total voters
Bring back timmeh sherwoodinho

ring him up in half an hour and tell him to dust off his spurs gilet from the wardrobe and get himself down to the spurs lodge

Reality check people, we are not attractive enough right now for the biggest players or managers. We need to take a chance with someone and hope he builds is back up.

Let's just support the new manager and see how it goes. It's not his fault Levy and ENIC put us in this position.

We just had the Serie A winning manager and former PL winning manager say he was interested in coming here so seems like we are attractive enough for the biggest managers.

We we included in the ESL, which as much as we hate it, shows the size and power of our club, we have spent 4 of the last 6 years in the CL qualifying from the toughest league to qualify in Europe, spent the other two in EL, are the 8 most valuable club in the world, are located in London, have the ability to pay wages above the vast majority of teams in Europe, have a world cup winning Captain, a top 5 player in the world and world class facilities.

We need to stop believing the crap sandwich that Jose and Levy have tried to feed us about us being a poor little club that should be thankful for anything we can get from them. We are a massive club with all the resources and benefits that should make us competitive with the top clubs in Europe. Just because Levy doesn't match that ambition and wants to hold us back so he can pocket a little money doesn't change that we are a very attractive club to the top level players and managers.

Roma is a club that's arguably similar to Tottenham in terms of international strength and reputation, if you count for the EPL in general being more reputable than Series A right now.

A team with CL aspirations, who's usually Europa, who hopes to win cups.

That he's failed at Roma doesn't bode well for us.
And also let's not forget he'll be taking the job on Levy's terms
I think we all know what that means. Forget CL aspirations. We'll be lucky to have a sniff at the EL next season. My personal feeling is Levy is not going to sell anyone and this squad won't really challenge for anything....Harry is certainly not going to hang around. Sonny too.

It was not only the results. It was that he lost the plot. He became incoherent in interviews. Also the locker room didn’t respect him. We also dropped like a stone from champions league group stage. The team wasn’t the best we had in years but still had great players.
Like this you mean....?
river

Looks like we're getting quite the 'character'!!

Igula Igula

Fine for us to both be moaning now; but if he’s hired then all fans should get behind him and at least give him a chance.

The plus side of him seems to be attractive football. Also good xG stats, like Potter.

I am not sure what get behind him even means.

Of course I will hope that he does well, but I won't pretend that he is a good hire or when we play like shit ignore it because he is the manager.

I will say back the manager to me is one of the dumbest concepts, when used in a certain way, that I have heard, but I realize it may mean different things to different people.

I am saying that there is lots of evidence that it had to do with Fonseca and his poor set up and managerial decisions.

We don't have all the facts of what went on behind the scenes and maybe Fonseca was some how the victim of some terrible conspiracy against him that made him look bad, although odd that the same thing must have happened at Porto with him as well.

All we have to go on is what is right in front of us and that is that he wasn't close to good enough. There is no reason to start trying to come up with excuses for him with no evidence or reason behind it.

I would also say that there is no way we should be getting a manager when we have to think that maybe his poor performances we due to a shit situation. We are a big enough club that we can get a manager in which there is no doubt about his ability, in which his results speak for themselves. The fact that we have to debate about maybe his poor results weren't all his fault should immediately exclude him from the hiring process. We should have much higher standards.

Edit:

As for Poch the failings at the end of his reign were clearly due to the club. We had seen he could get great results, Fonseca never showed that he could get those results at Roma. He was always getting worse results than those who were there before him.
There is some evidence of that. But there is also plenty of evidence to show that Roma were in complete disarray. And from what a lot of ex-players and coaches say about him they appear to have sympathy for him because of that. I understand what you're saying about it being a results based business but maybe that Roma team are just simply a 6th/7th place outfit? Could someone do any better? I dunno.

Look - I'm not trying to shine a potential turd here. I understand the disappointment and I must admit I'm a little underwhelmed by the whole thing too. It's been a fucking farce from Levy from start to finish. I'm just bored and fed up with the whole thing. If it's to be Fonseca then fine. Just get on with it for crying out loud.

We just tried a 1 year project and failed miserably. Probably set ourselves back years. 5 year projects are more sustainable and have a higher likelihood of success for any club like us that isn’t a bottomless money pit.
5 years project means you have to have a plan, which Levy is incapable of. His DOF is not trusted long term enough. The contract length is the indication.

So between 1 year project and 5 year project, now we're stuck in middle road. Not having the gut to gamble with big signings, but at the same time have no conviction with the DOF vision to make statement of confidence by contract length.

There is some evidence of that. But there is also plenty of evidence to show that Roma were in complete disarray. And from what a lot of ex-players and coaches say about him they appear to have sympathy for him because of that. I understand what you're saying about it being a results based business but maybe that Roma team are just simply a 6th/7th place outfit? Could someone do any better? I dunno.

Look - I'm not trying to shine a potential turd here. I understand the disappointment and I must admit I'm a little underwhelmed by the whole thing too. It's been a fucking farce from Levy from start to finish. I'm just bored and fed up with the whole thing. If it's to be Fonseca then fine. Just get on with it for crying out loud.

Sure but even in your best case scenario why are we hiring a guy that got the 7th best team to 7th? That isn't exactly an inspiring choice. And that is my ultimate point, is that even in the best case scenario it isn't a very inspiring or good hire.

It seems even his "defenders" and I use that term loosely because I don't think you are defending him just looking at the positives which I understand don't have a ton of points other than it might not be as bad as it looks. To me that is not enough to hire a guy for our club. Maybe for Palace or West Ham they can make those kind of hires but no way should we in any way be looking at a manager like that.

As much as I don't like the hire I couldn't care less about the Zorro thing, seems like a big nothing burger.

In fact if anything it probably makes me like him a little more knowing he doesn't take this stuff way too seriously.

Back
Top Bottom