England vs. Ukraine July 3rd 2021

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Have to say watching Italy last night playing a pressing game with lots of movement up top then looking at our squad with Sancho, Grealish, Foden, Sterling we could potentially play the same way. Won’t happen this tournament but would love to see it.

Have to say watching Italy last night playing a pressing game with lots of movement up top then looking at our squad with Sancho, Grealish, Foden, Sterling we could potentially play the same way. Won’t happen this tournament but would love to see it.
We do press but only in chosen moments and chosen areas of the pitch.

Who knows what lies ahead but with Italy pressing like maniacs their players are already starting to look like they are paying for it, with injuries to already to Chiellini (who missed games with a hammy) and last night Spinazzola injured and is out of the tournament. They dropped deep for the last 20 against Belgium, maybe by design to defend the lead by maybe also because they were (they looked it) knackered.

What's more important is how we've been able to play out through an oppo press from the back, both with long and short balls, Pickford and Maguire with the long balls, with Rice and imparticular Phillips progressing through the middle (didn't work vs Scotland) and/or via fullbacks.

We pressed very high and hard for the first 20mins against Croatia.

TDLR we have a variety of ways to play, this is dictated by who we are up against.

Leaked team for tonight, the starting 11 apparently will be:

Pickford

Walker
Maguire
Stones
Shaw

Rice
Phillips
Mount

Sancho
Sterling
Kane

Be very surprised to see Sancho suddenly in when you have the likes of Foden and Rashford. Looks like Southgate will again use Grealish as a potential super-sub.

Leaked team for tonight, the starting 11 apparently will be:

Pickford

Walker
Maguire
Stones
Shaw

Rice
Phillips
Mount

Sancho
Sterling
Kane

Be very surprised to see Sancho suddenly in when you have the likes of Foden and Rashford. Looks like Southgate will again use Grealish as a potential super-sub.

Competition must be pretty fierce for those AM roles....

Mounts absence would have done the rest a favour. Meanwhile, Gary must have been unimpressed by Foden given his complete lack of involvement since game 2 and Rashford was a ghost when brought on. Hopefully Sancho's complete omission during the initial games has lit a fire under him.... Him ripping it up and announcing truly 'announcing his arrival' tonight would be amazing!

Gotta feel for Saka though, but perhaps these injury rumours are true.

Last edited:
Competition must be pretty fierce for those AM roles....

Mounts absesne would have done the rest a favour. Meanwhile, Gary must have been unimpressed by Foden given his complete lack of involvement since game 2 and Rashford was a ghost when brought on. Hopefully Sancho's complete ommision during the initial games has lit a fire under him.... Him ripping it up and announcing truly 'announcing his arrival' tonight would be amazing!

Gotta feel for Saka though, but perhaps these injury rumours are true.

Foden hasn't made the impact yet he's capable of but he wasn't bad in either game by any means . He just wasn't involved a lot, but that's more down to the team and tactics than Foden himself. But Southgate does look pace up top and Foden, while not being slow, he's certainly no Saka, Sancho or Rashford etc, and that will probably count against him.

Foden hasn't made the impact yet he's capable of but he wasn't bad in either game by any means . He just wasn't involved a lot, but that's more down to the team and tactics than Foden himself. But Southgate does look pace up top and Foden, while not being slow, he's certainly no Saka, Sancho or Rashford etc, and that will probably count against him.

Personally, I think people are still getting a bit carried away with Foden.... He's still got a fair bit of growing to do. It's a bit different being part of a well-oiled and meticulously drilled City team(*) compared to being looked upon to have an impact as a key player at international level.

(*I don't watch every City match, but I am sometimes underwhelmed by him when I do.)

Personally, I think people are still getting a bit carried away with Foden.... He's still got a fair bit of growing to do. It's a bit different being part of a well-oiled and meticulously drilled City team(*) compared to being looked upon to have an impact as a key player at international level.

(*I don't watch every City match, but I am sometimes underwhelmed by him when I do.)

He's definitely nowhere near his max potential obviously. I think he's one of them players that can spend periods not really in games but then can produce something wonderful that changes games. I think down the line he will play more centrally in the middle of the pitch and won't be a part of a front three. But he'll be competing with Mason Mount probably.

100% going to be a much tougher game than people imagine. Might get a bit scrappy, but ultimately they lack that special magic - Ukraine.

Must not be too arrogant.

I haven't seen many people saying it won't be to be fair? We have the players to beat them pretty comfortably but that isn't likely to happen in a Quarter-final. Like Scotland, they'll be playing the game of their lives. We must match them in effort and spirit and then let our extra quality do the talking.

100% going to be a much tougher game than people imagine. Might get a bit scrappy, but ultimately they lack that special magic - Ukraine.

Must not be too arrogant.

They'll be up for a scrap.... Look no further than the Holland & Sweden games.

I've yet to really be impressed by Sancho in an England shirt so if he does start tonight it's a huge opportunity for him obviously. I want to see him running at players and trying things as he so often does for Dortmund instead of playing safe.

I've yet to really be impressed by Sancho in an England shirt so if he does start tonight it's a huge opportunity for him obviously. I want to see him running at players and trying things as he so often does for Dortmund instead of playing safe.

Any "Gary is negative" memes aside; Saka showed what it is to be pro-active in that position; so Sancho really he has no excuses for playing it safe.

It's go time!

Foden on a yellow and Saka with a knock, Sancho in seems fine. Grealish off the bench for Sancho in the 65th.

I get that you should play your best players in knockouts regardless of cards, but I think playing both Phillips AND Rice on yellows is risky. A Henderson-Bellingham midfield will not provide nearly as much cover, may even necessitate a back 3 if that happens.

Cart before the horse and all that, but it's still something to at least consider.

Foden on a yellow and Saka with a knock, Sancho in seems fine. Grealish off the bench for Sancho in the 65th.

I get that you should play your best players in knockouts regardless of cards, but I think playing both Phillips AND Rice on yellows is risky. A Henderson-Bellingham midfield will not provide nearly as much cover, may even necessitate a back 3 if that happens.

Cart before the horse and all that, but it's still something to at least consider.

If you bring Henderson into midfield for one of them there won't be any drop off in quality. I've said before or something along the likes that you could genuinely make 5 or 6 changes to the England side and the quality wouldn't dip whatsoever. We haven't always been able to say that.

Back
Top Bottom