Takehiro Tomiyasu

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I often think whenever we are linked with players like this that is a cynical move by Levy to sell shirts in a particular country.

Don't know anything about the lad, maybe he is mustard.

But Levy has reduced me to always thinking its about the bottom line first and foremost.

Looks like we are reverting back to taking punts on younger talent which seem to work for us before.

It has the only thing that has ever worked for us. These are the players we signed for at least £30m:

Soldado
Lamela
Sissoko
Davinson
Sessegnon
Ndombele
Lo Celso
Reguilon

Not a single one has been an unqualified success, most of them have been shite. All our better players in recent years were cheaper players with a lower profile. We have got to stop this mentality of "if I've never heard of him/he doesn't cost a bomb, he must be shite". I'd gladly swap our recent intake of expensive dregs for the cheaper, lesser-known players that Leicester have been signing.

Soyuncu, Barnes, Fofana, Soumare, all these players would get into our starting XI but half the people on here would have been angry that we were buying players they'd never heard of if we actually went for them. A good player is a good player, it doesn't matter whether they are a big name or not.

Last edited:
I often think whenever we are linked with players like this that is a cynical move by Levy to sell shirts in a particular country.

But Levy has reduced me to always thinking its about the bottom line first and foremost.
Interesting read here on how much clubs get from shirt sales.
No idea if the figures are accurate but it's a lot less than I thought.

Is he really the quality we need? I do not know him but the transfer fee indicates not although Sanchez at 40m is crap.
I have no idea whether Tomiyasu is worth the price quoted. But that's precisely why we need a great DoF and scouting team.

We didn't pay crazy prices for Modric, Berbatov, Bale, Sonny etc. We bought them a season or two before their superstar quality became evident to all of football.

I'm absolutely not suggesting Tomiyasu will ever reach that level, but I'll make the point in another way.

Jules Kounde looked a Rolls Royce of a CB when I saw him playing for Sevilla in the Europa League. They paid around 25 million Euros for him when he was 20. Sevilla are now looking for at least twice that much.

I hope we buy Kounde even if he costs £40-50m, because he will immediately be our best CB by a country mile.

But I also hope that Paratici & our scouting team have the talent-spotting & deal-making ability to sign the best young players for £20m rather than twice that or more.

I remember when we signed Son I thought “he’s ok but not great. Comes cheap”.

I like the idea of signing this guy. With his age and at the prices quoted he is worth a punt.

from a financial side haping a quality Japanese player is not about shirt sales. It’s about generating interesting in the club from Japan to then get TV exposure. clubs earn a stack more money from TV then fans buying stuff.

if we get a good young RB at a cheap price and had the added benefit of increased exposure to Japan, I think this is a great deal.

100% this
Potential huge market for merch sales , if he comes good like Sonny then it’s a win win otherwise it’s 2 years of collecting new customers with ¥¥ in their hands

if we do sign him , I pretty much guarantee we’ll be in Japan for some games next summer

So the reverse of what we tried with Aurier bombing on and Davies tucking in under Jose.

Didn't work very well then and i'd expect every opposition manager to immediately work out this genius plan of concentrating your attacks down one flank without much difficulty.

I'll take this nonsense with a pinch of salt as should everyone else.

If we’re looking to go with a back 3, I’d say the idea is that we have 2 wingbacks, the other likely to be Doherty. He thrived under Nuno at Wolves, so we might actually get to see the player we expected when we bought him.

We should get similar money for Aurier that we will pay for this kid. A no brainer in my book. Doherty may come good under the nun or may not. This deal is still good business.
also Tanganga as a second reserve For RB or RCB

I have no idea whether Tomiyasu is worth the price quoted. But that's precisely why we need a great DoF and scouting team.

We didn't pay crazy prices for Modric, Berbatov, Bale, Sonny etc. We bought them a season or two before their superstar quality became evident to all of football.

I'm absolutely not suggesting Tomiyasu will ever reach that level, but I'll make the point in another way.

Jules Kounde looked a Rolls Royce of a CB when I saw him playing for Sevilla in the Europa League. They paid around 25 million Euros for him when he was 20. Sevilla are now looking for at least twice that much.

I hope we buy Kounde even if he costs £40-50m, because he will immediately be our best CB by a country mile.

But I also hope that Paratici & our scouting team have the talent-spotting & deal-making ability to sign the best young players for £20m rather than twice that or more.
No chance do we buy kounde our signings are likely to be 20m or under no way are we paying over 40m.

Interesting read here on how much clubs get from shirt sales.
No idea if the figures are accurate but it's a lot less than I thought.

yeah its not just shirt sales though its just my lazy way of saying raising our profile in a country.

Also means that Japanese tourists will buy tickets for our home games, as Furball says it will raise our profile if we tour Japan. shirt sales, TV etc etc and all that jazz.

It has the only thing that has ever worked for us. These are the players we signed for at least £30m:

Soldado
Lamela
Sissoko
Davinson
Sessegnon
Ndombele
Lo Celso
Reguilon

Soldado £26m
Sessegnon £25m
Lo Celso £27m
Reguilon £27m

I'll give you the others though.

Soldado £26m
Sessegnon £25m
Lo Celso £27m
Reguilon £27m

I'll give you the others though.

The whole loan situ was just fuckery to avoid his old club paying a sell-on to PSG (and in turn inflating his pricetag)..... Once you take on board the 12m 'loan' (ahem) fee, Gio cost us just over 40m.

Our best signing of the past 10 years started out like this. Don’t write off someone because they don’t come from one of the major footballing countries.

Back
Top Bottom