Spurs v goons pre season game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Seems I've heard this before and am in such agreement with it that it seems I may have even said it a time or two myself. Then why do you always call for a 433 or rail against the diamond when it's personnel and tactical instruction that matters more than static, starting formation?

My problem with the diamond wasn’t the diamond per se, but the idiotic application of it with daft shit like Moura centrally up top, Sissoko as the 6, Dier as a fucking 8 etc. The structure didn’t help it hindered the tactical intention.

I don’t like 3cb systems generally, but Poch’s 3421 in 2016 was great, worked and put people and collective in a system that got the best out of them.

I’ve called for us to play 433 because I’ve generally felt we have a squad more suited to that format in the last few seasons. Many of the players we’ve bought, we bought because they’d played well whilst in 433 systems, then we’d ask them to play a different remit in a different system and wonder why they don’t work.

We’ve rarely had CM’s multifunctional or rounded enough to play double pivots (few CM’s are really at highest levels IMO), but we’ve constantly players that way, Dier, Winks, Sissoko, Hojbjerg, Lo Celdo, Ndombele.

Son is a wide forward (from either side) not an AM. Lamela bought after a great season as a inverted WRF in s 433 at Roma. Moura always played as a WF n PSG’s 433.

I don’t understand why we’ve constantly prioritised getting an extra attacking player into to format when that additional attacking player is invariably a fucking bumbler - thus sacrificing control with and without the ball just to bumble even rarer attacking moments.

Poch’s early 4231 was good when we were a very young, energetic hard and high pressing team and we could overload those forward areas, but that 4231 became less effective as it aged and the dynamics and application dropped off.

Last edited:
Ignoring Kane, we already have Vinnie gone so no other striker. Let’s get one in quick because I think we can sort of work with the rest of the squad for the first few games till hopefully more transfers are completed.

Didn’t mind that game.

Pretty happy with the win. Lo Celso did well off the bench, Tanganga did well at right-back (we should keep him here and get rid of Doherty). Son had a quiet one but took his goal well, Lucas did ok, Dele had good chances. Dier and Sanchez were good, solid.

And Woolwich were quite poor to be honest, especially 2nd half. But they made a lot of subs in the 2nd half too.

Gotta dash to make the HMS Piss The League.

But good performance overall that. Always good to beat Woolwich even if it's pre-season, and we completely deserved it too.

Haha. Plenty. 10k is not a very significant amount.

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Back
Top Bottom