Spurs v goons pre season game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I totally understand the "don't ever applaud an Aresenal player".... but, tough not to at least have some respect for this guy:

Yeah, and this also shows our fans in their true light, not in the negative spin that sky and BBC especially have overblown and thrown against us in the last few years. (accusations of us being racist, Campbell songs, the banana chucked at Emirates when initially it was only white Goon players in the shot; the Rudiger incident)

I would add that I've been an anti racist all my life and an anti fascist for a couple of decades, but am totally against the demonising of white working class as racist that's been the staple of many middle class new fan journos. (I stay off politics on this site as only want to hear what spurs fans think about spurs, the old skool especially)
Somehow, us, a fanbase where I think it was Henry who said 'you don't get racism at Tottenham' has got labelled as racists in these last few years.

Somethings transcend rivalries and anti racism, humanity, is one of them.

Today showed us in a good light, just as we were respected by old school fans of our rivals, when we showed our class in the past; Osgood's and Harding's rounds of applause at the Bridge; Rocastle ; when Millwall laughed after Hillsborough some of ours ran across the pitch to present Everton fans with flowers (some knowing how close it was to it being us 8 years before).

Immediately after the ref blew the whistle for the end of Rocastle's minute, verbal hostilities were resumed in the Clock End by the fence.
I get the general not applauding Goon players, but this time glad an exception was made. I made an exception every time Jennings ran towards the goal at the start of a match against them, whilst playing for them; he knew too, that we weren't applauding a Woolwich player, and reciprocated.

Dele did a lot of hard yards today. Making several good and important tackles. Some flashes of the old Alli too. Good game from him. In fact lots of positives. Skippy, Lucas, even Dier and Sanchez looked solid somehow. And we need to keep Tanganga. Looked better than Doherty and Aurier of last year today. Another solid performer.

Such a breath of fresh air after the shite we had to endure last season. Hope it carries through to when the games count for more than laughing at the goons. Which is becoming a given.

On the train back. Some thoughts:
  • Covid pass is a joke. There was literally a queue around half the stadium. I didn't even show anyone my pass let alone scan it. People were talking about not having it. It will be chaos on a league game. There was some good will and people queued but there was some anger boiling up. It was only a third full as well. Ditch it.
  • Skipp and PEH were solid.
  • Ali was great but should have had a hattrick.
  • Son looks like he wants to be the main man, even tried a kane wait behind and clap the fans. Ali spoilt that though. He is one of our own. Unlike serpents with dicks for heads.
  • Woolwich are really shit.
  • Organisation was really good so well done Nuno.
  • Oh, anyone right at the back of the south stand, the standing/safety bars block small peoples and kids' views of the pitch.
Coys. Nice atmosphere as well.

Back
Top Bottom