Spurs v goons pre season game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Without Kane we would have been far many points worse off pretty much every season. Hate the guy as much as you like but the vast majority of sides would be better with Kane up front, including us.
Nope I disagree. We just need another goalscorer we're fine. Look over the past several seasons, our record is more or less the same without Kane so long as Son was playing. We also had that run in the CL without Kane. Kane's impact is massively overstated. He slows the team down.

It’s laughable people still post crap like that but it’s pre-season so best to let people have their delusions.

There will be a massive dose of reality once the PL begins.
I’ve been consistently critical of Lucas for the last couple of years. And for sure, maybe he will disappoint yet again. But if you can’t take good performances under a new manager and system as a reason for optimism heading into a new season, why bother? There are lots of reasons in the world to be consistently miserable. Might as well find a new hobby.

I’ve been consistently critical of Lucas for the last couple of years. And for sure, maybe he will disappoint yet again. But if you can’t take good performances under a new manager and system as a reason for optimism heading into a new season, why bother? There are lots of reasons in the world to be consistently miserable. Might as well find a new hobby.

It wasn't a good performance from him today and he was poor when Chelsea had there players on as well. Its the same crap from Moura good against Eastern European and League One teams, ineffective against PL talent.

Nope I disagree. We just need another goalscorer we're fine. Look over the past several seasons, our record is more or less the same without Kane so long as Son was playing. We also had that run in the CL without Kane. Kane's impact is massively overstated. He slows the team down.
And in that run to the CL final we were able to capitalise on Lllorente's, er, pace

:dembelelol:

I’m actually optimistic going into the season based on the pre season. I think Lucas and Dele and to a lesser extent Bergwijn have been pretty good. Son is a superstar that’s already a fact but the I think the other three know they have a lot to prove and show we aren’t just the “Harry Kane team.”

I may be in the minority but I think Dele will regain some of his best that he had when he first signed. His interviews have shown that he knows he has messed up in the past and has matured knowing he needs to do better.

Lol fair point.
What Llorente did do well though was win headers in the middle and then stay out of our runners' way. He never clogged the center/middle. It worked surprisingly well.
It didnt, we were 3-0 down vs ajax and only lucas' ridiculous performance saved us. Against city, it was llorente's armball goal that saved us while we were absolutely destroyed for most of those 2 matches.

It didnt, we were 3-0 down vs ajax and only lucas' ridiculous performance saved us. Against city, it was llorente's armball goal that saved us while we were absolutely destroyed for most of those 2 matches.
We scored 7 goals against City and Ajax and 10 if you include the one leg of the Dortmund match where Kane didn't play. 10 goals! And as I mentioned before, the rest of our record in other major matches (PL, FA Cup etc) was more or less the same without Kane so long as we had Son playing. Our record/results looked horrendous when both Kane/Son went down though. Don't think we could win a single match. This has been looked into before.

Last edited:
I'm interested to know how you've come to the conclusion that Kane slows the team down?

If you'd levelled that accusation against Dele I could understand, as there were times last season where it looked like we'd gone into a slow motion replay as soon as the ball went to him, but Kane?

I'm currently all for selling him now and buying in the next generation, but I'm mystified at your assessment.

Were you saying this last season, or in any previous seasons?

I'm interested to know how you've come to the conclusion that Kane slows the team down?

If you'd levelled that accusation against Dele I could understand, as there were times last season where it looked like we'd gone into a slow motion replay as soon as the ball went to him, but Kane?

I'm currently all for selling him now and buying in the next generation, but I'm mystified at your assessment.

Were you saying this last season, or in any previous seasons?
Yes I've always thought this was the case. Now I'm not saying that this is necessarily a bad thing against every team. Against team's that sit back and park the bus, then obviously we need a player like Kane to score goals. But against teams that are attack minded like a Man City, I've always thought that Kane slowed the attack down. In many situations, it seemed like our runners would intentionally wait for Kane to catch up and/or Kane's mere presence would clog the middle of the pitch creating less space for our runners.

It's a controversial point of view but when you actually look at our record without Kane over the past 3 seasons, we looked fine without him so long as we had another goal scorer like Son playing.

Back
Top Bottom