Tottenham v. Manchester City (Sun Aug. 15 16:30 BST)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dele apparently covered more ground than any other player (11.11 km) and clocked the highest average speed (6.9 km/hr) yesterday according to OptaJoe.

As someone who has been critical of his play over the last two seasons I can happily say bloody well done. He was great, particularly in the second half where he refused to let Gündogan out of his sight.
Agreed, different role for Dele yesterday, slightly tougher in the tackle and running his arse off plus ghosting in the area unmarked.
First half he was quiet but as the game became much more even he did his work solidly

I won't bother reiterating what everyone else is saying, was a fantastic performance and really uplifting after a pretty hellish summer. Was interesting reading the replies to my earlier post about the starting eleven, a lot of people dismissive from the outset, hopefully we all get a bit more behind the team from the start rather than the OTT reactions of dismay...

On a side note, I thought the reffing was so much better than it's been, tackles were allowed, we didn't have shit handball decisions, which I think last season a couple of blocks of ours would have gone to VAR for 10minutes of analysis. Some big, important tackles from the Spurs players towards the end, kept expecting it to be given as a Man City freekick even though they were perfectly acceptable.

But ... but I didn't say that?

We were brilliant overall. I just said that.

And I don't "want more", because goog football comes first and was duly served. The result followed.

I was merely replying to another post in the constant bickering of partisan views, where I humbly said that perhaps one can appreciate both views.

Good lord, that really have pissed off a lot of people here.

Chill mate. We all enjoyed the win. Comments made during and just after a game are emotive.

COYS!!!

The back four looked so organised, fighting for each other, well proud of them and the whole team
The back four are organised because the whole team is organised (they are also organised in their own right too).

It really helps when you have the forwards press the opposition, something they NEVER did under the dinosaur. I'm almost bored of saying it but under the dino, our defence was under siege almost every game, that's unsustainable. He had us set up to defend with our backs to the wall, reactive and passive.

Nuno yesterday still had us conceded possession, but it was anything but reactive, it was assertive, aggressive, pro-active football. Disrupting City's build-up, forcing them wide, most importantly not having them play through the middle of the park, making them play slower by blocking passing lanes where they would usually pass into.

City play with narrow full-backs during their buildup. Our front 3 closed down Fernandinho when their CBs had the ball, then Dele and Skipp closed the angle for central passes from the narrow full-backs.

E82ZkpCXsAA2PBN

This is so, so different that sitting camped on the edge of your own box and lumping it up to Kane or Son. Which, our ability to counter City wasn't about lumping it, the build-up was from deep and we attempted it numerous times, it meant City had to drop men deeper to cover this which also inturn blunted their own attacking options.

Whilst Tanganga was exceptional against Grealish & Sterling who doubled up on him , one man who's been completely transformed so far under Nuno (yeah that's a bit dramatic to say that) and hasn't been mentioned is Reggie. I love watching Reggie play as he's good fun, but he's been all over the shop in all aspects of his game the past few months, he resembles a dog with a beach ball. But throughout the pre-season and in this game he was aggressive whilst remaining in full control, he wasn't doubled up on but still won his 1v1's on the other side of the pitch.

Sorry for the waffle but I really liked what I saw from us today defensively and I'm still buzzing following the utter shite from Jose. Fingers crossed there's more to come.

City's best player last season was Gundogan. Nuno had Dele and Skipp marking him on either side and he did fuck all yesterday.

There was a scene on tv with Pep kind of angrily discussing things with is assistants. Nuno and his team won the tactical battle.

The back four are organised because the whole team is organised (they are also organised in their own right too).

It really helps when you have the forwards press the opposition, something they NEVER did under the dinosaur. I'm almost bored of saying it but under the dino, our defence was under siege almost every game, that's unsustainable. He had us set up to defend with our backs to the wall, reactive and passive.

Nuno yesterday still had us conceded possession, but it was anything but reactive, it was assertive, aggressive, pro-active football. Disrupting City's build-up, forcing them wide, most importantly not having them play through the middle of the park, making them play slower by blocking passing lanes where they would usually pass into.

City play with narrow full-backs during their buildup. Our front 3 closed down Fernandinho when their CBs had the ball, then Dele and Skipp closed the angle for central passes from the narrow full-backs.

E82ZkpCXsAA2PBN

This is so, so different that sitting camped on the edge of your own box and lumping it up to Kane or Son. Which, our ability to counter City wasn't about lumping it, the build-up was from deep and we attempted it numerous times, it meant City had to drop men deeper to cover this which also inturn blunted their own attacking options.

Whilst Tanganga was exceptional against Grealish & Sterling who doubled up on him , one man who's been completely transformed so far under Nuno (yeah that's a bit dramatic to say that) and hasn't been mentioned is Reggie. I love watching Reggie play as he's good fun, but he's been all over the shop in all aspects of his game the past few months, he resembles a dog with a beach ball. But throughout the pre-season and in this game he was aggressive whilst remaining in full control, he wasn't doubled up on but still won his 1v1's on the other side of the pitch.

Sorry for the waffle but I really liked what I saw from us today defensively and I'm still buzzing following the utter shite from Jose. Fingers crossed there's more to come.
Totally agree, if the press doesn't start from the front ,you end up under siege nearly all the time, total team performance,solid.

We will have to play differently against teams who sit back or it will be a repeat of joseball.
It's gonna be difficult. Dier doesn't know how to play different. Leeds proved that one. Sanchez is as much a guarantee as good weather. I'm hoping We get in one more CB, CM and 2 Strikers.

I'm liking the fact that Nuno has the Boys so positive. Anyone that still feels Moura must go needs their head read.

Hopefully the reinforcements come before (Like Jose's start last season ended), teams realise we pretty much the same as last season and decide to take Dier on or they put the ball in no man's land close to Sanchez for their strikers to run on to.

Yes I am not sure why being realistic about the game would change that I am happy with the outcome.
You absolute ballroot, how did we get lucky seriously, in what fucking universe did we get lucky, we missed chances they missed chances, even fucking City fans said we deserved the win. Oh wait its Igula Igula , he just loves having a different point of view to most sane people.

Last edited:

So absurd that managers like Mourinho and Co don't appreciate such simple initiatives.

It's as if possession has no value and using passing to move opposition teams around, including deeper, is some sort of heresy.

I won't bother reiterating what everyone else is saying, was a fantastic performance and really uplifting after a pretty hellish summer. Was interesting reading the replies to my earlier post about the starting eleven, a lot of people dismissive from the outset, hopefully we all get a bit more behind the team from the start rather than the OTT reactions of dismay...

On a side note, I thought the reffing was so much better than it's been, tackles were allowed, we didn't have shit handball decisions, which I think last season a couple of blocks of ours would have gone to VAR for 10minutes of analysis. Some big, important tackles from the Spurs players towards the end, kept expecting it to be given as a Man City freekick even though they were perfectly acceptable.

The style of reffing was much better - the ref was still an absolute cunt to us, we seem to be the only team that doesn't get 'home' decisions.

Steve Nicol is irrelevant and a relegation pundit.
ESPN is worse punditry in existence, worse than Keys and Gray (Andy Gray isn't too bad). Literally no one watches their shows, hardly any viewers, so they have to rely on outrageous bollocks to get the clicks for the scraps post-game YouTube clips, that is their marketing strategy, YouTube and even then the like of AFTV piss on them for views.

It's gonna be difficult. Dier doesn't know how to play different. Leeds proved that one. Sanchez is as much a guarantee as good weather. I'm hoping We get in one more CB, CM and 2 Strikers.

I'm liking the fact that Nuno has the Boys so positive. Anyone that still feels Moura must go needs their head read.

Hopefully the reinforcements come before (Like Jose's start last season ended), teams realise we pretty much the same as last season and decide to take Dier on or they put the ball in no man's land close to Sanchez for their strikers to run on to.
When did you start supporting Spurs, last season? When Dier arrived he was played at right back and then spent 3 seasons playing as a holding midfielder. Apart from playing in goal and striker I'd say that he's pretty adaptable.
The only proof in your post was that you provided none of any substance

Back
Top Bottom