Tottenham v. Manchester City (Sun Aug. 15 16:30 BST)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

On the train home, knackered but ecstatic (nothing to do with the THREE vodkas I had before the game). I love my new seat, you can really see the effort the players put in to the game. I thought that was a real team effort, everybody played their part and would feel it unfair to pick out a MOTM. Having said that - Japhet I love you :). What an atmosphere. Are you watching Harry Kane?

I think it was fixed that this was our first fixture, and Sky were drooling over the prospect that Kane would be playing for the opposition. As Kevin Keegan once said " I would just love it" if we smashed this plastic team out of the park.
And Kane should not be allowed anywhere near the team, until after the window closes, if he hasn't be sold by then.

Anyone know how to post a video here.

I've got a great one of the crowd singing Oh When the Spurs... I don't know how to upload it from my phone though.

I have to say I've been every home game at the new ground apart from 1. The atmosphere yesterday was probably the best, yes including the champions league nights against City and Ajax.

There was something about yesterday because of being away from the ground for so long that added a sprinkling of magic. The performance matched the effort put in by the crowd.

There were moments when Skipp and Sanchez made last ditch slides tackles at the end and the crowd were so pumped. I watched it back on the TV when I got home and you can't get a feel for how good the atmosphere was. I'm sure anyone who was at the game can corroborate this.

I genuinely felt for the first time the wall of noise from the south stand and all the acoustics were being maximised yesterday. The crowd wasn't even at capacity!
100% agree with this. I have to admit that I have felt quite disconnected from the team for the last 18 months or so. Although there isn't a bad view in the house, my old seat was near the back of the West stand and the players were miniscule; then not being in the stadium just compounded that feeling of remoteness. Now my seat is second row from the front and I can see the whites of their eyes and I can actually witness their effort and determination. That tackle by Davinson was right in front of me and to see his face when he made it - priceless! The singing of 'When the Spurs' after we scored was probably the loudest I can remember, and the explosion of noise when Sonny scored would have been heard in Seven Sisters. The Tanganga ovation brought a lump to the throat and was well deserved. When we pull in the same direction, our supporters are the best.
Nothing beats a win like that, still smiling today, not much of a voice mind :)

E82S_bdXoAQpVrf

Something even the most depressive can take a modicum of joy from... Go on, wallowing in misery can't be good for you...

Wasn't it amazing to hear the stadium in full roar? Credit to all you that were there, for us watching on the telly it made the hairs stand up on our arms

The back four looked so organised, fighting for each other, well proud of them and the whole team
The back four are organised because the whole team is organised (they are also organised in their own right too).

It really helps when you have the forwards press the opposition, something they NEVER did under the dinosaur. I'm almost bored of saying it but under the dino, our defence was under siege almost every game, that's unsustainable. He had us set up to defend with our backs to the wall, reactive and passive.

Nuno yesterday still had us conceded possession, but it was anything but reactive, it was assertive, aggressive, pro-active football. Disrupting City's build-up, forcing them wide, most importantly not having them play through the middle of the park, making them play slower by blocking passing lanes where they would usually pass into.

City play with narrow full-backs during their buildup. Our front 3 closed down Fernandinho when their CBs had the ball, then Dele and Skipp closed the angle for central passes from the narrow full-backs.

E82ZkpCXsAA2PBN

This is so, so different that sitting camped on the edge of your own box and lumping it up to Kane or Son. Which, our ability to counter City wasn't about lumping it, the build-up was from deep and we attempted it numerous times, it meant City had to drop men deeper to cover this which also inturn blunted their own attacking options.

Whilst Tanganga was exceptional against Grealish & Sterling who doubled up on him , one man who's been completely transformed so far under Nuno (yeah that's a bit dramatic to say that) and hasn't been mentioned is Reggie. I love watching Reggie play as he's good fun, but he's been all over the shop in all aspects of his game the past few months, he resembles a dog with a beach ball. But throughout the pre-season and in this game he was aggressive whilst remaining in full control, he wasn't doubled up on but still won his 1v1's on the other side of the pitch.

Sorry for the waffle but I really liked what I saw from us today defensively and I'm still buzzing following the utter shite from Jose. Fingers crossed there's more to come.

What a day. Got to see my beloved Spurs do the plastic champions. With both my daughters. Celebrating Sonny’s goal with them was priceless.

Met up with a few members from here. Decent weather and a couple of beers. Witnessed a real TEAM effort. 11 motm performers. Get the fuck in Nuno. Whatever you’ve been doing just carry on doing it.

I’ll go to bed a happy boy tonight.

Back
Top Bottom